Paulina Falls

gapertimmy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sk8ting-

In the winter to get to the falls you need to either ski, snowshoe or snowmobile a few miles from the snowpark. In the summer, the falls are drive-up access.

There are groomed trails for all user types (nordic trails and snowmo trails). The road to the upper snow park can be dicey at times as it isn't plowed often or very well.

-timmy

Panther-

You have tons of options to turn off the road to bachy and get some more scenic-remote schussing in. Depending on how long you want to ski for, or what type of terrain you guys want to ski on would be useful to making some recommendations.

From Bachelor's Lot you can ski down the shared coridor to the Cascade Lakes Highway from there you can go pretty much anywhere: Todd Lake, Brokentop, Sparks Lake etc.

On the way to Bachelor you also pass 3 snoparks on the north side of the road that boast miles of XC trails.

Outside of the Cascade Lakes Highway, you also have trail corridors South of Sisters (Three Creeks Lake), Paulina, and points North like Santiam Pass.

So take the $ you'd spend on a bachy trail pass, buy a Nordic Map at Pine Mountain Sports off Century Drive and go explore.

Where exactly is this falls? I am looking for a place to Ice climb around Mt.Hood does anyone have any tips? Anything really it doesn't have to be big.

-Kip

if i am not mistaken Paulina is Bend area i am guessing in the area of Paulina Lake(s)

We were in the area yesterday 12/22/06 and snapped this of Mckay falls.

145Paulina_Creek_12_22_06_001-med.jpg

We were not sure how far in Paulina was and after about 3 miles turned around. We saw twin falls also which is smaller and flowing a bit more.

I was wondering if hwy 242 is closed in winter and if so what mile mark it is clsed at. Linton Falls looked like something that might be promising? How about proxy Falls? Any Idea on getting to these?

it was where are you from muffy

I am from and still live in Eugene. although bend area feels like home. I go there to play as often as i can. I however do not drive in snow. because i am a big baby and hate it. come spring i love it over there and i owe two of my favorite bend residents a visit because i promised all year last year and never made it because i suck so bad :cry:

gapertimmy -

Ah - memories of Paulina when it "tries" to come into condition. There's a pic of a very wet top-rope session from a few years back at http://www.flickr.com/photos/52556861@N00/323469716/in/set-72157594272820248/ for those who might be curious as to what it looks like when it is sort of climbable. This pic is of a section to the very far climbers left of the falls away from the main flow where, in your last pic, the ice has yet to really form let alone touch.

Wet, wet, wet but fun, fun, fun.

and sick of being tired? poor thing, catch-22

hey Timmay, can you suggest a worthwhile free alternative to x-c'ing at Bachelor? I go there every year w/ my good friend (trip coming up Prez Day weekend), but if there's good scenery to be had for free, I'm all about that.

check out skyliner rd - lot's of nice skiing out there. if you have a mountain bike trail map, those trails double as good x-country skiing in winter.

panther- on the way to Bachelor. wanoga is the best for skating and can be awsome if you hit it when they goom (used to be wed????) and Virginia Meisner has excellent classic track skiing. Hoodoo has decent trails too. Also-still have to pay a little for the snowparks - you need a forest pass to park there ($3 day per car) which you can also snag at Pine Mtn.

Sweet pics of Paulina. climbed there last season. takes a while for that ice to form but it can get much bigger on the (climber's) right flow.

That first pic is exactly how it looked the following day (Friday 12/22) and 3 of us TR'd the (climber's) right side of the left flow. It was good, short, 'n felt like WI3+.

We wanted to TR the left side of the right flow but toppin' out off the ice looked thin 'n wet, and then there looked to be a good 10 feet of steep heard dry-toolin'. We bagged it.

From Bend head South on 97 fer maybe 20 miles 'r so (before LaPine) 'n you'll see sign on the right. It's a left-hand turn. Drive flat windy road (yes it's sketchy slippery snow packed) til where ya park.

The approach is just road-walkin maybe 2 miles up the road past the gate. Gradually up, packed 'n groomed snow-machine road. Maybe one of the dozens of sleds that you'll see might give ya a lift if ya flag 'em down end compliment their cool garb and if there's still room for ya on the back of the thing with a pack and how far back the sled-head's sittin' to clear his gut from the steering wheel.

I'll try to get pics up today.