Wallowas Snow Conditions

km1969

Wondering if anyone can provide current snow/ski conditions for Aneroid Basin/Wing Ridge area.

We are considering a trip there next week, and having never been before I'm wondering if there's enough snow this early in the season. According to Snotel reports, the snow pack seems pretty thin. Also wondering if it typically rains at that elevation out there, as forecast seems to show warming.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only an hour away from the Wallowas, and ususally get there often. However the snow pack has not looked good yet, so I have no beta. Hopefully I will be at wing ridge next week, and if so I will post here. Wing ridge is the best winter ski in my opionion. You skin up right from the car at salt creek summit. There is a tent/hut system not too far in, and then lots of slopes above it to ski. Aneroid is a long ski in, and makes a better spring trip with longer days, and higher snow line. You can stay at the aneroid lake camp, then go up hill to tenderfoot basin for the best spring skiing anywhere. You can always post at telemark tips here http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=1&72686

there are some local telemarkers there.

the snotel site guide is not recording accurate info. I was there 1 month ago and found excellent conditions at wing ridge. I made a trip report on this site. At the time there was at least 3-4 ft in most areas and 12 inchs fresh. I assume they have gotten more snow since then. The only hassle was on the approach dodging windfall in the burn areas. Upper slopes where in great shape.

I was across the valley in the Elkhorns last weekend. There was about 2' of powder with a thin breakable crust on top. On top of that was about 5+ inches of dry powder. Winds had blown most of that 5 inches into drifts at around 7500'. I would imagine conditions are close to the same in the Wallowas. I bet there is more there due to elevation and location. Plus this week more has come down. Good luck.

Edited by tazz

Here's a picture I took on Christmas Day of Wing Ridge from the McCauly Basin approach. I was just doing some cross-country skiing in the area so I can't comment on conditions on the ridge but there was about 2 feet of snow at 6500' and the precipitation that fell in the last few days was snow at that elevation.

Wing_Ridge.jpg