Ortovox F2

mtn_mouse

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please buy yourself some new gear. Dual frequency transceivers are doubtful at best these days, and the newer stuff is way easier to use.

The older beacons will experience frequency drift, and the newer beacons, especially the digital models may not pick them up at all.

Read some of the stuff here, especially the one that starts with "Obsolesence."

Interesting link, I'll have to continue reading up on it. I practice with mine a bit every season, and it works fine so I feel comfortable with it and identical models. I've got the impression that analog has a longer range than digital so it has that going for it. But if the compatibility with other digital transievers that skiers are carrying is poor, then it sure defeats the purpose of carrying one. May have to turn in the wool pants and wooden ice axe too.

You should not use the F-2 as a safety item any more. The new beacon technology will spead up anyones search time. But don't throw out them out just yet. They work fine as an aid for practice. Take em out and have your partner hide them. You can do multiple beacon searches without having to by more than one new beacon.