Sitting Cardio

I think my last post was deleted but this was a legitimate question. What would anyone recommend for a cardio workout for someone in a wheelchair that cannot get outside and is forced by a body brace to be reclined at 45 degrees? I was thinking of maybe ocean kayaking, can you do it reclined? Or one of those sitting bikes, though it is a problem to move legs.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...for someone in a wheelchair that cannot get outside...

How can you go kayaking if you cannot get outside? ;)

Seriously, though, I would think wheeling a chair around would be pretty good excercise. I remember hearing once about a wheelchair-bound guy who did some sort of arm-pedaling bike thingy...I'll see if I can find the link.

Edited by robmcdan

I asked Greg Glassman (the crossfit guy) about his experience with training of paraplegics. He seemed to think that without engaging the lower extremities and torso you are pretty inhibited in how much cardiovascular respiratory stress you can put on your body, and the training becomes limited by local muscular stamina. I.e. your arms will tire out before your lungs and heart get a pounding. I would expect this is particularly true if your CVR endurance is already well conditioned from your activities with full body function and your disability is a temporary one.

I don't have quite the problems Kat does, but I am interested in getting back in shape. Right now I've mostly been going for walks, which is great, but I think I could start doing some easy cardio workouts at the gym. My doctors tell me to stick to walking. but I think I could be doing more.

Any thoughts?

The doctors say I have 4-6 months before walking but I am thinking that once I get out of this body brace in 1-2 months I may be able to swim because it is non-weight baring on the legs.

Maybe you could talk to them about swimming, like maybe with just a kickboard or wearing a stomach thing and do underwater running. Super low impact but a good change. If not, I'll be moving to Seattle soon and would like to have a long distance walking partner when I can again.

• 2 weeks later...
The doctors say I have 4-6 months before walking

CBS, check out what she said about walking up there.

Layton, no prescribing before you get a diploma.

kat, wuh happened? You fall on the 1st pitch of White Satin as the last person on the rope while simulclimbing that 2 pitch climb with 3 people?

• 4 weeks later...

If you are completely unable to use your legs, then swimming is great but has a couple of logistical challenges. An "upper body ergometer", aka hand bike will work well too if you can find a gym or a rehab clinic that has one.

In 2004 I spent I worked at the Hawaii Ironman with Carlos Moleda, a paraplegic who won the handcycle division. He swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and wheeled his chair 26 miles, all in about 15 hours. The dude definitely developed massive cardio abilities just using his arms.

Cheers,

Bruk