south sister in the winter

sk8ting fast

what is south sister like in the winter thinking the south side. Been climbing in the sierra Nevada sence I was 10 and am fully prepaird. should I need Ice gear other then normal winter hiking gear. Thinking 2 day trip from the Snow park. Thinking about doing this in lat jan to mid feb. if there is anyone wanting to go also.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An ice axe and crampons are a must and be prepared for a long slog in on snowshoes or skis from Dutchman's Flat parking area...last time I was in there in winter, I didn't summit because time ran out on me. Snow camping would make it much easier. If you telemark, it would be a much faster trip

No need for ropes on S. Sister. Some say they have used them on the N. face (in early summer) but I never have. You probably won't be alone on the mtn if you go solo. It is a popular mtn. for winter adventures. Just watch the weather and don't get caught up on the summit in an oncoming storm (know what I'm saying?)

ohh yea I did that one befor when I was 16 that sucked. thanks for the info look forward to posting some pics when I get done. I think that this summer I might do a south to north on all 3 sisters just to try it out sence I am new to the oregon cascades figure I will start easy then go to the harder stuff. Need to get used to the trail and rock types they are diff then the sierra's

You should probably get more beta on the Three Sisters Marathon before you plan the trip. I have never done all three in just 1-2 days, but I have friends who have done so and they all do the North one first. I recommend this as well (but some folks may differ with me on that). North is the one of the three that requires ropes and pro and you want to be fresh and strong and have your wits about you as you cross the Bowling Alley, especially if there is snow on the traverse...and don't forget your helmet! I have a yearly tradition since 1996 of doing a SSSS (South Sista' Summit Sleepover) in the month of August during the Persid (sp?) meteor shower...pj's are required (unless you are a nudie) and so is a mandatory bottle of wine to celebrate (although once we took Absolut Vodka, needless to say I slept very well at 10,000' and I think at least one person joined the 10,000' club with their partner, or so I heard)! ;)

Been climbing in the sierra Nevada sence I was 10 and am fully prepared.

If your experience is in the Sierras, I think you'll be astounded by just how crappy the "rock" is in the 3 Sisters. You could make yourself more prepared by practicing hiking up loose gravel piles in your area. :grin:

Thank you for the info it might be a better idea to go north to south then. I was thinking about that after reading some info on north sister. thanks for the info I am heading up to south sister on a snow shoe trip this weekend thinking if snow is good I might go for it. Thinking about taking the board and comming down in a hurry ( hahah )

• 2 weeks later...