stuff to do for the non-climbing spouse in squamish

Gerg

I'm trying to convince the wife to come with me (not usually a problem ) for a week to Squamish this June. What other non-rock climbing activities are there in the area to keep her and me entertained during non-climbing days?

greg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

she can to whistler and party it up!!!! only a few minutes ne of squish.....and in june you will probalby go with her cause it is raining....

oh yeah theres:

hikingbike ridingww kayakingfishingphotographya nice book storestarbucksand the best past time of all!!!! lauging at our neighbors to the north!!!! good funny folks they are!!!!

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Matt-I know this is off-topic for climbing, but I was intrigued by your mention of Windsurfing near Squamish. I have seen the sign from the highway but was curious about why windsurfing in Squamish was so good? We have so many people from BC come down to the Gorge during the summer...I wonder if this is where they first got hooked windsurfing...

What is the windsurfing like at Squamish? How strong is the wind typically in June? Water temp, any good swell?

-Mark

I could tell you some stuff to do with kids up there, but you didn't ask about kids I guess.

One thing you might have your wife do is guard your stuff so those DAMN CANADIANS DON'T STEAL IT!!! mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

And like those other guys said, there's supposedly a lot of mt. biking there, and windsurfing.

Mark, I haven't windsurfed, for a few years, but I used to alot. Whatever I know about the windsurfing is based on my observations looking down of of the climbs. So take this as pure speculation and with a grain of salt.

It's flat water boarding. I don't think I've seen sails smaller than @4.8m. The winds look steady and come from the north. The water temperature is gonna be cold b/c its on Howe Sound. The put in point is of a long spit on the east end of town.

I haven't been told and haven't thought much about the cause of what seem like really consistent winds but suspect that it is a pressure gradient similar to the gorge b/c:

The chief on one side and the lower angle rock on the other side, would create a simila tnnel effect as the gorge;The only time I've seen theem out there was on relatively good weather days (that's when I go up on walls);When it rains there, the wind will often be nonexistent;

If that's the case, June might suck b/c it seems to rain alot there in June and the pressure gradient would be unlikely to form without the help of a bit of sun.

Matt

The Squamuish is a big Katabatic wind that blows regularily either any time in summer it is sunny, or when there is a pressure differential with the interior, cause the valley to Pemberton cuts through the mountains. Steady winds to 60kmh are not unusual.

Boardsailing at Squamish requires tiny little sails and boards and big strong arms. And a wetsuit cause Squamish River is glacial sourced and cold all year round. Those guys rip it up. it costs $10 a day to park on the jetty, too.

Squamish is often drier in April, early May, wetter in late May/early june, then dry as a bone from mid-July through Sept. Check the forecast at www.ec.gc.ca for 5 day outlook. Its gonna rain this weekend.They also do kite sailing there.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]