Bivi Sack recommendations

Clavote

I'm looking to get a lightweight bivi sack. I want something that packs small and is light.

I am kinda leaning toward the Mountain Hardwear Roc Sack because it has a window.

I am currently using a Sierra Designs Flash Magic. A very good early single wall tent, but I want something for lighter trips.

Any suggestions or experiences with you bivi sack would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ortovox makes a twin bivy sack called the Gemini. It is nothing more than a simple waterproof envelope - you'll need to seam-seal it. It packs up very small, is incredibly light, and is perfect for an emergency shelter, or an expected light weather bivy. I wouldn't use it when I expect extended bad weather, or on a big wall, but for the alpine light and fast it can't be beat.

Keep in mind that two bivy sacks that can withstand a decent storm weigh as much - or more - than a Bibler tent. If you're thinking of using a bivy sack to withstand a heavy storm, then a tent would do the same job and be more comfortable.

Edited by mtnfreak

I can only review the Bibler big wall bivy sack that I am using.

It is solid, completely waterproof, but the ToddTex is not very breathable. It has a bug net which helps with breathability and large enough to store extra gear at my feet. At 2 lbs, it's heavy when compared to other light weight bivys, due to the tie in point.

Clavote.....the big question is how you want to trade off livability/durability vs. weight. I have a 2.2-lb North Face Soloist bivy with a pole-domed head area, stake-out mesh vent, etc. I'm generally not a fan of NF stuff, but got it 50% off on a pro deal. It's roomy, and good for winter cause you can change inside of it, keep your boot liners in it, etc. I also have a Montbell UL Sleeping bag cover that is just that....a waterproof sleeve that weighs 7oz and packs down to the size of an orange. I wouldn't want to weather a storm in it as it only has a drawstring, but good for sprinkles, condensation, and a little added warmth. It's barely bigger than the sleeping bag so not much room to store things you want to keep warm/dry.

Thanks for pointing out the space issue. That's a big concern for me since I do like to change socks and stuff and I want to be out of the wind. However, I am not expecting to do extended stays in a bivi sack so I can forgo some liveability. If I have to emergency bivi in a cave, I'll be wearing everything that's dry.

The montbell may too small, but I appreciate the suggestion.

I just saw the Black Diamond (used to be bibler before, I think) winter bivi and it looks very breatheable, light and inexpensive.

I gotta check out the Orthovox bag. I never even considered it.

Thanks!

Here are my recommendations to consider:

Integral Designs - South Col (1.9 lbs)

Integral Designs - Micro Bivy (1.1 lbs)

Black Diamond - Bibler I-Tent (4.3 lbs)

Black Diamond - Firstlight (2.7 lbs)

The South Col has long been a great example of an all-weather bivy sack. I had one for several years, and would heartily recommend it if that's what you want. But a friend pointed out that you can't easily sit up in it, change clothes, or read a book. Nor can you cook in it.

The Bibler I-Tent is also an industry standard for a lightweight alpine four season tent. Its also made of a similar material as the South Col bivy. I've also used one of these. You can barely fit in it, but you can sit up, read a book, and cook with a hanging stove. Plus, the same friend pointed out - two all weather bivy sacks equal the weight of one tent. He was almost right - two South Cols equal 3.8 lbs, saving a half-pound in weight, but costing a fair bit in comfort.

After that lesson, I decided to save bivy sacks for summer, emergency, or light & fast climbs. Modern tents are equal in weight but provide greater comfort.

I'm very interested in EricB's Montbell bag for solo or big wall trips - I'm going to look into that next.

Biggest deciding factor is gonna be how you plan to use it, IMO.

On a big wall route or for a chopped ledge bivy on an alpine route? Probably want a tie-in point pre-sewn through the side and space won't matter too much. Look at the basic Bibler big wall or ID equivalent.

Solo backpacking? Probably want a little more room, ability to change clothes/sit up etc, better ventilation. Look into something like the OR advanced with head hoop/pole or the ID or Bibler with the pole/stakeout.

Just a light shelter on a multi-person trip? Likely better off with a ultralight tent. Conditions will dictate whether you want something like a Bibler I tent or can get away with something like a BD firstlight/lighthouse/etc or even want to go with a no-floor shelter like a megamid/betamid/etc. Ditto for a alpine route where you approach, sleep, fire the route and descend in a day, or have a spacious or low angle area that will accomodate a tent on it, or multi-day slog.

Here are my recommendations to consider:

Integral Designs - South Col (1.9 lbs)

Integral Designs - Micro Bivy (1.1 lbs)

Black Diamond - Bibler I-Tent (4.3 lbs)

Black Diamond - Firstlight (2.7 lbs)

The South Col has long been a great example of an all-weather bivy sack. I had one for several years, and would heartily recommend it if that's what you want. But a friend pointed out that you can't easily sit up in it, change clothes, or read a book. Nor can you cook in it.

The Bibler I-Tent is also an industry standard for a lightweight alpine four season tent. Its also made of a similar material as the South Col bivy. I've also used one of these. You can barely fit in it, but you can sit up, read a book, and cook with a hanging stove. Plus, the same friend pointed out - two all weather bivy sacks equal the weight of one tent. He was almost right - two South Cols equal 3.8 lbs, saving a half-pound in weight, but costing a fair bit in comfort.

After that lesson, I decided to save bivy sacks for summer, emergency, or light & fast climbs. Modern tents are equal in weight but provide greater comfort.

I'm very interested in EricB's Montbell bag for solo or big wall trips - I'm going to look into that next.

https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1106&hinban=2321027

Got it at pro-moutain sports

Edited by ericb

I have, and hate, my Bibler big wall (the neon yellow with bug net and harness clip). The zippers suck and like someone else said, not very breathable. I have also used the OR bivy with little head pole and I loved this bivy sac. Plus it is a lot cheaper than the Bibler....

I wouldn't say I hate my Bibler, but I think there are better bivy sacks available. I have wide shoulders, so getting in and out with only one zip across the top is a bitch.

One of the ones with a loop pole can make a sack a lot more bearable. If weight is your primary concern then they aren't as good, but if you've ever slept in one in a storm completely sealed, you'll appreciate the space around your face. Talk about claustrophobia! Velcro closures are really nice when you want to get out fast and you're covered in a layer of ice from the previous night's freezing rain then snow..

I think I have moved away from the bibler's because of cost.

The orthovox seems too much like an emergency bag since it has "help" in big letters written over it. This may be bad if I turn over in the night and someone thinks I'm in dstress. Can you imagine after what happened on hood!

I am down to the integral designs South Col about $210

The Black Diamond winter bivy about $100

and the Mountain Hardwear Mountain Sack $210 That sindow in the hood part is very attractive since you can see out without having to pull the fabric off your face.

The BD does not have zippers so that may get disqualified if it is hard to get in and out.

My next step is to find where to try these out and get inside.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion and what to look for.

I have the winter bivy. It is definitely more of an emergency sack or a sleeping bag cover for relatively good weather or an additional layer inside a tent. Not for full on living in. I think it is a great choice, though, for very light climbing applications. Keeps the snow off your bag, very breathable, and light (and inexpensive!). It is not hard to crawl in - I just but it over my sleeping bag and crawl in them together, then (optionally) pull the hood over. The epic fabric is NOT waterPROOF - I would not recommend this as your primary shelter if rain is even a possibility. More of a 'winter' bivy...

Nothing beats a good lightweight/waterproof tent, but I tried out a friend's REI minimalist bivy this summer on Mt. Adams and I LOVED it! It has a bug screen and a unique zipper system that allows you to zip it all the way up and over your head, but still allows your arms to fit through unzipped holes in the sides...very handy when you want to be warm and bug free, but still use your arms/hands outside the bivy. Note, however, that this particular bivy has NO waterproof cover over the bug screen (I take a sil-nylon sheet to cover me in inclement weather, none of which I experienced on my outings with the bivy). Also, I make some of my own equipment and I recently bought some sil-nylon and Gortex and plan on making my own bivy for next year (a wider one, as I have wide shoulders). Someday when I develop the perfect bivy I will let you gear test it for me!

Has anyone out there ever heard of the Wiggys bivy? My cousin in the Army (stationed in Afghanistan and heading to Iraq after the New Year) swears by it. His entire unit carries them. It is an insulated bivy that can be used without a sleeping bag in warmer weather. I found the link to their site and called customer service and they will custom build one for you to fit (length and width). It's expensive ($290) and weighs 2lbs (same as a good tent). If anyone out there has used one, please share some info. Thanks. Here's the Wiggys link:

http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=52

The Bibler Winter bivy sack is really small. Definitely bare-bones. It would flat-out suck to go through a storm in that thing. I think that's pretty much the case with any bivy sack.

For the weight of two bivy sacks you might consider a BD firstlight or equiv. to split between two. A lot more comfortable.

Well, now I'm not sure about getting a bivy sack. Since my tent is pretty light already. But I do think I am going in the right dorections when I want to be really light so I still think I want one.

I want to reduce weight, but I'm on the fence because my single wall SD flash magic weighs 3 lbs. and I can fit two people in it. A bivy would weigh between 1 and 2 lbs, but not offer the same room as the flash magic. With one person the flash magic is pretty roomy.

I have another question about the bivy sacks for you guys. Do you use a pad inside or outside the sack?

I have a 2.5" insulated inflateable pad and I would really like it inside. Do you think most bivys would accomodate a pad?

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

Clavote;

I am a new member to this site (but have viewed it for a long time now) and there are lots of climbers on here who have climbed longer and higher than I ever will, so I would certainly listen to their recommendations over mine, ergo...

I would stick with your tent. It sounds like you love it, and you should never give up what has worked for you, trust me. My first bivy experience in 1998 proved it. I borrowed a 'roomy' Bibler Tripod over my much loved 4 season mountaineering tent and I was caught in a sudden white out on Mt. Constance (in the Olympics) and had to spend 6 hours holed up in it. In this case, however, a tent wouldn't have been much use to me on the small spot I found myself trapped upon. I thought I would die without being able to move around. Bivys are great for summer, but not if inclement weather is threatening.

As for the pad dilemma, it depends on the size/spec of the pad vs. specs of bivy, vs. girth of human. I can't use my pad in the REI minimalist bivy, but it fits well in the Bibler Tripod and the Black Diamond Lightsabre. Those two bivies have more foot room clearance for a pad. (Note, in cold weather, your bivy will have condensation). No matter what shelter I carry, I always have a small sil-tarp with me, so I put my pad on that when used under the bivy. If you aren't on a level spot you might slide off the pad if it isn't inside the bivy, though. But I toss and turn a lot, which makes it worse. Perhaps someone will let you borrow their gear to try it out before you buy. I say buy a bivy that you like, but only use it in good weather when the the biting mozzies are at a minimum. I hike/backpack/cycle tour a lot too, and I always have the lightweight bivy along...if not for me, for someone else I may find hurt or needy on the trail.

Good luck...

joeschmoe

I have owned four bivi sacks in the past 10 years and have given them all away. Buying a bivi is much like buying a tent, there are specialized features that do not work in all seasons and conditions. If you buy one that seems to solve everything, you are back to the weight of a small tent with much less comfort. I have foregone the bivi, and now just carry a tarp. If it is nice I am on the tarp, if it rains I am under it. Bugs out, carry a bug hood and tough it out. If I were going to buy another bivi, I would spend the money for a bibler, and buy their basic model without tent poles. Buy the long so that you can put some stuff inside at your feet to keep it dry. Just my thoughts. Eric

Clavote, I've got a Bibler I-tent with a vestibule and an Integral Designs South Col Bivi. Both are excellent products but they have drawbacks as well. The Bibler is pretty cramped for me (6"2"") or with a mate but does offer bomber protection from pretty much whatever is thrown at you - its my winter/spring tent. The bivi still makes me claustrophobic but packs down small, is half the weight of the tent and is pretty roomy for me - I use it as an emergency back up and go-light/fast spring/summer climbs.

175610269_ce15e3e75c_b.jpg

Check out the northface soloist. I really like this sac because of the two pole design which keeps the bag off my face. It also has a pocket near your head to org any items you need quick access to. I have almost completely stopped using my tent since I purchased this.

Good Luck

i've used both the bibler bivy(heavy, comfy at 6000m) and eldorado tent. to great success.

but in most cases i brought the tent.

you need to decide the main usage first.(winter.solo.alt.steep.multiday etc.)

the best setup is 1lbs bivy (backup) and a 3lbs tent (staying) used as needed. the

safest.

i just bought an mtn ev2 (4lbsw/vest) and its bigger/tougher/cooler.