Traveling to Canada ???

letsroll

I am heading to whistler in Feb. Looked through the US border stuff and it seems I don't need a Passport to enter US till 08 if traveling by land. Just heard on radio that I need a passport to ENTER Canada however.

Does anybody know what the story is? Do I need to get my passport updated??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you have an expired passport, I'd bring it with you, along with an UNexpired driver's license. You'll get into Canada (after a bit of thrashing around with the border guard) with the expired PP, but you'll probably have to go inside the office at the gate to iron it all out. But you'll get in. Trust me, my M-I-L fucked up like this on our vacation to Mayne Island this past summer.

Bottom line is you should get a new PP anyway, if you plan to travel out of country on even a semi-regular basis.

The Department of Homeland Security's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) will require all US, Canadian and Mexican citizens to show a passport to enter or re-enter the US by:

- January 23, 2007 at all air and sea border crossings (that is at airports, and for entry by ferry or cruise liner like the Port Angeles-Victoria ferry)

- June 1, 2009 at all land border crossings (it could be earlier, but June 1, 2009 is the last deadline).

Go to the DHS website if you want it straight from the horses mouth, but this is the kind of shit I (unfortunately) work on.

Getting into Canada without a visa requires proof that you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country (of which, the US is one). That means proof of citizenship, which generally includes a birth certificate or passport. However, most border guards are OK accepting a valid drivers license or range of other ID. But they don't have too...if they want to be hard-ass about it, or if they suspect you are from a non-visa-exempt country or if they woke up with hemorrhoids that day and are all pissy, then they can ask to see not just a drivers license, but also some sort of proof of citizenship. But generally, a birth certificate will do it...it doesn't have to be a passport. But, border guards on both sides have very wide discretion, so they can hold out for a passport if they really want to, and there ain't a lot you can do about it.

But, WHTI will take away a lot of the discretion that US border guards currently have to allow US and Canadian citizens into the US with only limited ID. But no worries, at land borders anyway, for a few years (and hopefully never, if us lobbyists get our way!).

The canadians are a** holes at the border...I have two passports a can. and and am. and I forgot the can. one and they told me that it was a privelege not a right that they let me back into canada..this was 3 weeks ago.

the post stinky posted is about coming home to USA what about entering Canada..? I think its 2007

There are no new rules proposed in terms of document requirements for entering Canada. As I said, passports are not 100% required, but they can ask for them.

My observation is that some (but not all!) border guards are assholes no matter the nationality. That is what happens when you give people a lot of power with very few limits or accountabilities.

Is there a place where I can find all this info and more. I have been looking but one web sight will give info that another won't have.

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

Here

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html