NEED BUSH ACCESS!!

I expect Dru to jump all over this one.... tongue.gif" border="0

What I want to know is if anyone has any info on the Bush River road access to the Mt. Bryce / Mt Coulmbia area? Anyone been there last year or even the last couple of years. If not does BC have a DOT web site with phone numbers that would lead me to a real person to answer this question.

vt

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by verticalturtle:
I expect Dru to jump all over this one....
tongue.gif" border="0

What I want to know is if anyone has any info on the Bush River road access to the Mt. Bryce / Mt Coulmbia area? Anyone been there last year or even the last couple of years. If not does BC have a DOT web site with phone numbers that would lead me to a real person to answer this question.

vt

Know some peole that have been in there recently-ish. you can drive.

for real info call the Ministry of Forests office in Golden (?). Check out the www.gov.bc.ca homepage, find MoF (probably for.gov.bc.ca) , find appropriate forest district, that should give you a district office number you can call.

Long, 4x4 for the most near the end. Snowmobiles used until mid June. Easier to ski in from Saskatchewan Glacier, or even Athabasca. I'm assuming it's the traverse, E. Ridge or the N. Face you're talking aboot. Try a ski descent of the N. Face! [hell no]

Need a partner?

As Andrew told us at Rampart, it's a hell of a schwack! He's done the Price on shucksun, which I once believed to be the WORST approach/'schwack ever(at least in the dark!). He claims this is far worse. Don't split up on the schwack back down either, or if ya do, you both should have ropes.

p.s. do you have a sister?

Vert,

Went up to the NE Ridge Aug '99. On the Bush road drive to around the 123 km point (I think it's measured from Golden) and turn right to cross the river. There was a sign "Rice Brook Main" after the bridge, take that road. This road went for about 10 km basically following the approach description in Dougherty's guide. This is the most RADICAL road I have ever taken a passenger vehicle on! Made it up with my beater Peugeot wagon a couple k from the end. Can't imagine log trucks ripping around up there.

Walk what you don't drive, traverse the clearcut over to the north fork of Rice Brook and follow the creek to the bowl below the start of the NE Ridge.

It's a hell of a beautiful place with a very out-of-place road.

If you go in late season, go before the first snows of fall. We didn't, and ran out of time slogging through the deeps on the ridge.

Cheers,Mark

quote:

Originally posted by verticalturtle:
Thanks for the info.

My sights are set on Columbia more then on Bryce. Hopefully to be done in the first 2 weeks of august. So, snow should be gone.

vt

Do Columbia from the Alberta side, way easier than going up Bush River. Cause from the west you got an 8000 foot elevation gain and thru bush, on the east you got a road to the glacier and then a gently sloping approach.