Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I don't understand is why you would ever climb a difficult mountain with a partner that you don't really know and have never climbed with before.

Seems to me that a climbing partner would be as important to your safety as any piece of knowledge or equipment you could own.

From my reading here, people just seem to be willing to go up a mountain with total strangers. Just another warm body. As if it made no difference.

When these bad situations happen, it's too late to figure out what to do. You have to know before they happen what to do.

When you're car is skidding sideways out of control, are you actively analyzing the situation? Or are you acting instinctively and going with the flow? Are you actions to avoid a horrific crash based on a premade "plan"?

Your statement is a fear based approach, you strive to control the uncontrollable. Your mindset preparation leaves no room whatsoever for encountering a foreign situation- you can plan all you want for every contingincy- so what happens if the forecast calls for 4 days of sun and the storm of the century arrives on day 2? Lay down and die? Or learn as you go?

When these bad situations happen, it's too late to figure out what to do. You have to know before they happen what to do.

When you're car is skidding sideways out of control, are you actively analyzing the situation? Or are you acting instinctively and going with the flow? Are you actions to avoid a horrific crash based on a premade "plan"?

Your statement is a fear based approach, you strive to control the uncontrollable. Your mindset preparation leaves no room whatsoever for encountering a foreign situation- you can plan all you want for every contingincy- so what happens if the forecast calls for 4 days of sun and the storm of the century arrives on day 2? Lay down and die? Or learn as you go?

I think she would analyze the situation first! (man i hope she dont live no where near me, or drives on sidewalks)

Yes, sliding on ice and snow in a car is a great example. You can be told which way to turn the wheel to get out of that kind of a skid way in advance of it ever happening. And the direction is counter intuitive.

I realize absolutely there is a lot of learn as you go and just plain dumb luck in these kinds of sports. But, this particular sport is so unforgiving of any tiny mistake that I think it requires a lot more education and training than is commonly portrayed.

Let me ask you this: if these folks had hired a mountain guide, would he have allowed them to leave when they did, carrying the supplies they carried? Maybe so, but then he would have been able to find the pearly gates on a dark night in a whiteout, too.

Someone very familiar with that mountain would have had an extra backup system by definition.

Rainer trip beat the crap out of me. I was tied in with two billy goats who were much better climbers than myself. We at least made the summit. The second team didn't. The rock scared the hell out of me as we all scrambled to get out of the way and proceeded to bounce over a the guy that threw himself behind some boulders. We were lucky no one was killed by it.

Another thing I don't understand is why you would ever climb a difficult mountain with a partner that you don't really know and have never climbed with before.

Seems to me that a climbing partner would be as important to your safety as any piece of knowledge or equipment you could own.

From my reading here, people just seem to be willing to go up a mountain with total strangers. Just another warm body. As if it made no difference.

Molly- this is probably the most "intuitive" and insightful post you have made. I agree 100 %!

Not quite the same. It may seem that way from your armchair.

Since you have not climbed, you're probably not anyone I would take advice from. However, most experienced climbers will not benefit from what you say simply because it's old hat and everyone does that already.

You just seem like somoene trying to figure this out. That's OK, but it does sound like you think you know what you are talking about, when to someone who climbs you just sound plain unknowledgeable about the sport. Sorry to be harsh, but you seem to like listening to yourself. And you are creepy. Are you aware it says Ghoul beneath your name? It's appropriate.

Have a safe day in the armchair.

Why don't you just tell me what I'm missing about the situation, then? I came here to be educated, not insulted. The powers that be put 'ghoul' under my name, because no one is allowed to question anything a climber does here, I guess.

But, all of it is open to question, and it will be questioned by people who know a lot more than I do. Because I'm not the only one interest in safety in this world.

Molly, the stupid thing you are doing is extrapolating your experiences in armchairing, sailing, hiking, whatever else you do and saying it's the same in climbing when you have never climbed.

Never climbed....that sorta stands out.

Does that sound like you're an informed person? I sure don't think so. I think you would make a bad expert witness on mountaineering.

However, if you want to speculate, speculate and ask questions, but do not make assumptions based on sailing and horsey riding.

People will not take you seriously. Good speculation is based on good knowledge. No one said you could not question climbers, go ahead. Many others have managed to ask questions and not sound like a know it all. Go ahead and try a different route with your questions.

Forgive me for getting off topic but that post of yours about it being steep near the top and falling....that was funny! I mean, falling being dangerous, I never would have known that falling or being blown off a summit to my death was dangerous! Wow. I mean, it is steeper near the top of the horse right? You could get blown off a horse by the winds caused by a rushing attack dog (a pit bull, let's go with an attack pit bull owned by some pot growers in Humboldt, county...good)So I can see how you made that whole thought in your head come together. You did some research. You made some invalid extrapolations based on...well, you've never climbed...based on nothing.

Climbers will speculate and more than likely they will have a definitive answer from the sherrif about "how it happened".

I'm sure that's what you want to know too. How they died. Did they freeze in their sleep or did they plunge thousands of terrifying feet to their death? Sorry there were no explosions to make it even more exciting for you.

And by the way, you are in spray. You know what that means right?

You can post any dumb ass comments and people will fuck with you if they think it's a stupid question.

Maybe you should start blog so you can enjoy writing to yourself.

Rainer trip beat the crap out of me. I was tied in with two billy goats who were much better climbers than myself. We at least made the summit. The second team didn't. The rock scared the hell out of me as we all scrambled to get out of the way and proceeded to bounce over a the guy that threw himself behind some boulders. We were lucky no one was killed by it.

actually that might be considered a worthy story. thank you.

pretty boring without spray huh. you may just get a membership card sooner than you think to be a part of that 99% you mentioned earlier. LT is a golden god :fahq:

Kevbone we don't want to hear about your fantasies with bathroom items.

Fantasies? Dude I just got done deleting all the "PM's" you have been sending me about how you relax at night.

Thats not my PM's thats your MOM. Don't mistake us again.

Edited by Seahawks

Molly, the stupid thing you are doing is extrapolating your experiences in armchairing, sailing, hiking, whatever else you do and saying it's the same in climbing when you have never climbed.

Does that sound like you're an informed person? I sure don't think so. I think you would make a bad expert witness on mountaineering.

However, if you want to speculate, speculate and ask questions, but do not make assumptions based on sailing and horsey riding.

People will not take you seriously. Good speculation is based on good knowledge. No one said you could not question climbers, go ahead. Many others have managed to ask questions and not sound like a know it all. Go ahead and try a different route with your questions.

Forgive me for getting off topic but that post of yours about it being steep near the top and falling....that was funny! I mean, falling being dangerous, I never would have known that falling or being blown off a summit to my death was dangerous! Wow. I mean, it is steeper near the top of the horse right? You could get blown off a horse by the winds caused by a rushing attack dog (a pit bull, let's go with an attack pit bull owned by some pot growers in Humboldt, county...good)So I can see how you made that whole thought in your head come together. You did some research. You made some invalid extrapolations based on...well, you've never climbed...based on nothing.

Climbers will speculate and more than likely they will have a definitive answer from the sherrif about "how it happened".

I'm sure that's what you want to know too. How they died. Did they freeze in their sleep or did they plunge thousands of terrifying feet to their death? Sorry there were no explosions to make it even more exciting for you.

You can post any dumb ass comments and people will fuck with you if they think it's a stupid question.

If I was an informed person, I wouldn't need to be here asking questions.

You said my post about slipping and falling off the top was funny. But, this actually happened to more than one person in the reports I was reading. One misguided slip, because you walk on a particular place off the trail, or you are not using your ice axe, or you have on crampons that are balling up, or you misjudge the hardness or softness of the snow, and boom--you're dead.

That's not funny at all. That is a totally unforgiving situation that is a matter of life or death.

Now, obviously, the people this happened to had no idea it could happen to them, or it wouldn't have happened.

Kevbone we don't want to hear about your fantasies with bathroom items.

Fantasies? Dude I just got done deleting all the "PM's" you have been sending me about how you relax at night.

Thats not my PM's thats your MOM. Don't mistake us again.

Dude, finally you have learned how to use the Quote option.

You said my post about slipping and falling off the top was funny. But, this actually happened to more than one person in the reports I was reading. One misguided slip, because you walk on a particular place off the trail, or you are not using your ice axe, or you have on crampons that are balling up, or you misjudge the hardness or softness of the snow, and boom--you're dead.

That's not funny at all. That is a totally unforgiving situation that is a matter of life or death.

Now, obviously, the people this happened to had no idea it could happen to them, or it wouldn't have happened.

Hey miss molly,,,,,,,,Here is some valuable advice,take it or leave it, If by chance you want answers to some of your outright ignorance on mountians and why and how we ascend(means go up sweetie) ,go buy yer self these books,,No shortcut to the Top by Ed Visterus(mispelled maybe), The last blue mountian by Ralph Barker,,,,Unknown Mountian By Don Munday,,,,,,A life in the Vertical ( not sure of the dudes name but was the first one i read, but was read after I summited the very first time) Read more than one,,,You really need this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey miss molly,,,,,,,,Here is some valuable advice,take it or leave it, If by chance you want answers to some of your outright ignorance on mountians and why and how we ascend(means go up sweetie) ,go buy yer self these books,,No shortcut to the Top by Ed Visterus(mispelled maybe), The last blue mountian by Ralph Barker,,,,Unknown Mountian By Don Munday,,,,,,A life in the Vertical ( not sure of the dudes name but was the first one i read, but was read after I summited the very first time) Read more than one,,,You really need this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!