Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err, we need 10 bucks for a real answer, but Dumpster did tell me that that is an Ex-cat. LIke, it may have been a cat long ago, before it tried to cavort under water. He did not take an aqua lung, being a cat, and of course, he expired in a mountain stream. His DNA hung around for millenia, and somehow, combined with some spawning salmon's roe, this thing developed. THis was, in fact the first actual clone!

You, again! My horn-dog fighting roosters want to come over and spar with you. They seem to be working on mostly side-kicks, but they are getting pretty good at it. One tried to attack my head last night, and I went after him with one of those temporary electric fence posts. He was too fast for me, but I got his attention. I cuddled these *&^$(# when they were little and this is the thanks I get?

You, again! My horn-dog fighting roosters want to come over and spar with you. They seem to be working on mostly side-kicks, but they are getting pretty good at it. One tried to attack my head last night, and I went after him with one of those temporary electric fence posts. He was too fast for me, but I got his attention. I cuddled these *&^$(# when they were little and this is the thanks I get?

You don't have to worry about that stuff with me. I'm very sweet.

COCK A DOODLE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like the latest theory from S&R is, 2 of the climbers chose to continue because the choice was either to continue or stay and die and Kelly James was too exhausted to continue.

As the other 2 continued they were blown off the mtn by the hurricane force winds and are buried under the new snow where they fell.

Does that sound right?

It sounds like they made a bad choice concerning weather and gear, and got slowed coming down the summit, for whatever reason.

Do we know what the summit pictures revealed about the weather at that point in their climb? I'm suspecting it was bad, but all was still going to plan. I'm guessing that due to poor visibility they were unable to find the descent route that they planned to take and that during the time they were searching for this route the conditions worsened to the point of being intolerable. This is when things went bad for them. Finding a location for a snow cave and digging it would have been difficult. I don't think most can appreciate what they were likely up against. The winds could easily have been strong enough that one couldn't stand up, but would be restricted to crawling on all fours. Building the snow cave was the right thing to do. What I don't understand is why they didn't stay put and wait for the weather to clear. They must have felt that they weren't going to survive long enough in the snow cave.

Edited by gary_hehn

It sounds like the latest theory from S&R is, 2 of the climbers chose to continue because the choice was either to continue or stay and die and Kelly James was too exhausted to continue.

As the other 2 continued they were blown off the mtn by the hurricane force winds and are buried under the new snow where they fell.

Does that sound right?

It sounds like they made a bad choice concerning weather and gear, and got slowed coming down the summit, for whatever reason.

Continue backwards? o..............k

The high winds and blowing snow, and even the cold temps, shouldn't have been issues if they had built a good snow cave. I don't know why the snow cave wasn't enough to keep Kelly from hypothermia. Experienced people have stated that a properly dug out cave can keep you safe in temps well below freezing. And the wind shouldn't have been the problem since you are out of the wind once inside.

Snow caves are great protection from the elements and can be far warmer than the conditions outside but, they aren't "warm" so to speak. You tend to get soaked building them and they take a good amount of time and effort to build. That whole time one was probably digging while the other two supported the effort as best they could, while still being pretty much exposed to the elements. They were all probably suffering from hypothermia. Kelly may have been in a deeper stage of hypothermia once they completed the cave and got into its shelter. If they were unable to raise his core temperature he would have continued to slip deeper. He would have needed a warm environment to recover if he was beyond mild hypothermia.

The high winds and blowing snow, and even the cold temps, shouldn't have been issues if they had built a good snow cave. I don't know why the snow cave wasn't enough to keep Kelly from hypothermia. Experienced people have stated that a properly dug out cave can keep you safe in temps well below freezing. And the wind shouldn't have been the problem since you are out of the wind once inside.
At least one foam pad was found in the cave, was it not? Insulation is essential. Of course packs and the rope help in this regard too.

I wonder what some of these idiots (Molly, twocents, that army idiot, etc.) would think if there was a climbing area in the Lower 48 at the same level as Chamonix or the Columbia Icefield. I have to laugh at the suggestion that the North Face of Mt. Hood in winter is so extreme that it's irresponsible to do (which is the impression I get from several of the non-climbers here), when I can go back home watch people climb stuff like The Beast Within and attempt the Emperor Face of Mt. Robson in winter!

I have actually been on Chamonix--skiing, so I took the gondola up--and I suppose it was beautiful, but it was very high and I don't like heights. Plus, the gondola stopped half way up, and the phone rang, and everyone started talking rapidly in French. We swayed in the wind for an hour while they fixed something, not my cup of tea. I like the short and cozy mountains of Vermont.

I read somewhere that Kelly was in training for Everest, a dream of his. That also might have been a factor in their 'rapid ascent' decision--as a training exercise. No one is saying anything was 'irresponsible.' That's your own projection. We're just asking questions.

Thanks for your answers, Steve.

I wonder what some of these idiots (Molly, twocents, that army idiot, etc.) would think if there was a climbing area in the Lower 48 at the same level as Chamonix or the Columbia Icefield. I have to laugh at the suggestion that the North Face of Mt. Hood in winter is so extreme that it's irresponsible to do (which is the impression I get from several of the non-climbers here), when I can go back home watch people climb stuff like The Beast Within and attempt the Emperor Face of Mt. Robson in winter!

I have actually been on Chamonix--skiing, so I took the gondola up--and I suppose it was beautiful, but it was very high and I don't like heights. Plus, the gondola stopped half way up, and the phone rang, and everyone started talking rapidly in French. We swayed in the wind for an hour while they fixed something, not my cup of tea. I like the short and cozy mountains of Vermont.

I read somewhere that Kelly was in training for Everest, a dream of his. That also might have been a factor in their 'rapid ascent' decision--as a training exercise. No one is saying anything was 'irresponsible.' That's your own projection. We're just asking questions.

Hey Molly, wanna fuck?

Hey Molly, wanna fuck?

:lmao:

hey two cents, why don't you go up on mount hood in similar conditions and do a reinactment. all of your questions will be answered and we will be rid of you.

Ok, let me speculate - twocents is a hypocritical asshole, advocating respect for the climbers families, but then carrying on with morbid speculation that causes nothing but more hurt by second guessing a situation that he knows nothing about and cannot offer anythig relevent to.

Not too far off, eh?

Nobody has yet pissed B-rock off in the years I've been lurking to the extent that he's turned and burned like in this post, so maybe 2 cents should get a prize?

PS, let me add a pic and thus contribute to the speculation thread:

Note: huge spectacular pic of vultures in a tree was removed a few days after this was posted and someone had cooled down.

Edited by billcoe