Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

twocents: What is it about climbing that climbers "don't get" about climbing and about life that you do? Explain to us what we are missing that you apparently know so much about despite the fact that you are at best an armchair enthusiast typing on your keyboard.

Molly: I will, for some reason, attempt to give you a serious answer. The search has been called off not because the sheriff "knows something we don't" about what happened. It's been called off because the probability of survival has reached zero or very near it. Further, based the fact that the searchers had several good days to scan the mountain's slopes, it seems highly probable that if their bodies were on the surface, they would have been spotted. Since they were not spotted, they are likely buried under tons of snow and/or inside a crevasse. In this case, the likelihood they will ever be found is extremely unlikely, but if there is any realistic chance of this happening, it would occur late in some fall or summer, particularly after a dry winter, which this winter most certainly is not. In the meantime, continuing to search only will burn money and put people needlessly at risk, exposing them to avy danger and all the rest of it. Even the families agree that it has to end. Undoubtedly, there will be occasional searching that goes on in future summers.

While it's all new to you, the media is making this appear like an event unlike any that's happened before, when this sort of thing has happened many many times. City people have a hard time understanding how someone simply can't be found, or how something like this can happen. It does. Yes, the climbers undoubtedly made some mistakes, but what is infuriating so many people around here is the tone of people without any perspective from which to toss out harsh judgements doing exactly that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but mindless condemnation of these guys especially from someone who knows only what they saw on Fox News is not appreciated.

The light weight style these guys employed on their climb wasn't necessarily to fault; choosing to employ it during such a narrow and ambiguous weather window in winter, however, probably has more to do with what happened than what assholes like shitigamie will have you believe, which is that if you take light gear you'll die for sure. The fact is that the lightweight style overall has made climbing big routes in the mountains a safer activity, but the crucial thing that factors in is knowing when to engage and when to wait, and also to accept full responsibility. My guess is that these three guys understood all of this, but may have tragically miscalculated the window they thought they had. Beyond that, I don't care about all the details about what happened once they got into trouble up high- the bottom line is they didn't survive, and trying to pass judgment on decision making that happens once the shit has totally hit the fan is incredibly fucking arrogant and pointless. I'll bet anything these 3 would agree with every word I said here, without shame.

back to you twocents- you're the most arrogant fucker here, claiming that "they don't get it". That's your perception because you've wandered into a room full of people seething with sarcasm and taken it all at face value. The fact that you take what is said and spewed out in this forum as SERIOUS, all the name calling and foolery and insults as SERIOUS- shows that YOU are the one who DOESN'T GET IT. This is a place for blowing off steam and joshing around, but everyone here and outside this website (which, by the way, can hardly be considered a full representation of the so called climbing community, it's just one little corner of the world) has rich relationships and trusts each other with their lives and experiences together the fullness of life. Sarcasm and crudeness runs with the crowd. Step back for a minute and lighten up. Or if it's too much, simply walk away. Into the Sun.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to climbing, I've only climbed up Mt.Muffin, and I don't mean to disrespect the climbers, but here is what I think happened:

Has anyone considered the possibility that the three climbers were attacked by a crazed vietnam vet off his meds who cut the rope, dislocated one of the climber's shoulders, then relocated it, then stole their ice picks and dug a 1/2 mile deep crevice in the glacier to hide his tauntaun? Perhaps the sheriff was hypocisxixsc (Hood River is HIGH!) and was confused about something. I saw that on Fox news.

I still can't figure out why they used those ice picks to make the "Y" in the snow though.

Please let me know if I should contact SAR about this.

I THINK WE CAN FIGURE THIS THING OUT!!!

God bless those rescue dolphins.

Did your parents drop you as a child?

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, meet Pot.

Damn CJ, cumming from a Chick, you made a funny.

Edited by kevbone

I wonder what some of these idiots (Molly, twocents, that army idiot, etc.) would think if there was a climbing area in the Lower 48 at the same level as Chamonix or the Columbia Icefield. I have to laugh at the suggestion that the North Face of Mt. Hood in winter is so extreme that it's irresponsible to do (which is the impression I get from several of the non-climbers here), when I can go back home watch people climb stuff like The Beast Within and attempt the Emperor Face of Mt. Robson in winter!

Details... details... let's face facts folks. No ONE, not anyone of us can know what happened. There are only 3 souls who truly do know. And we can't ask them! We will NEVER know! We can surmise, discuss and speculate all we want. There are many theories, many possibilities. It is sad, heartbreakingly so. I pray for those guys, I pray for their family and friends. Some of which are reading this., all of this.Let's keep that in mind.

Also: those who climb, do it for the joy, passion, thrill, challenge, adventure and sense of accomplishment. And fully understand that we could find ourselves under circumstances - that may cost a life- our life. You NEVER KNOW when something will happen! Maybe, just maybe when it happens to you or to me, we will be lucky enough to have thought that specific possible contingency and be as prepared as possible for the particular one we are dealt. Prepared enough to survive. Hindsight is always 20-20.. but living it in the moment is not always so. and when you factor in the extreme cold and 100mph wind, and confusion and white outs...well. These guys, as it appears, had a plan, they researched it, and packed for it, as they expected and hoped it would go down. By the notes and plans they left behind,they WERE prepared for a few possible contingencies.They had backup plans, therefore it stands to reason they had backup materials. Unfortunately fate or Nature delivered a deadly blow. So it doesn't really matter what my "theory" is about what happened, it doesn't matter if I'm correct or not, Nor if any of us "guess" correctly. What matters, simply is we have lost 3 brothers. Fellow climbers..who have family and friends that needed them in their lives. We Hope that all who love us also respect our passion for the sometimes "adventurous" or "dangerous" things we do, risks we take, that ultimately bring us joy and happiness. Personally I NEED to live on the edge or on some ledge, or side of a mountain in the far reaches of nature to be my happiest. I consider us fortunate that WE know what makes US happy. I accept the consequences of my choices and my actions.

Rest in Peace James, Brian and Jerry. I pray the Angels embrace your loved ones with their wings of love and comfort as they did for you in your last moments.

Le Mare

I heard about this guy having a heart attack last week, at age 52. I was wondering, do you suppose if he hadn't eaten that hotdog at the Dodgers game back in 1993, if that was the direct cause? Or could it have been the 144 times he lost his temper during a 5 year, 1 month, 28 day span between 1991 and 1997? I also heard he salted his lunch a few hours earlier- do you think that's what triggered the heart attack? What if he'd had fiber cereal that morning? That could have knocked enough plaque from his descending aorta that he might have survived, or not had the heart attack. Or maybe he would have had angina but not a heart attack. or maybe he would have had angina, a mild heart attack, and then been released and could be watching jeopardy tonight instead of taking a 6 foot dirt nap and leaving his wife and kids to fend for himself. What a selfish fucking idiot this guy was, and his wife, she fed him all those fatty food, she obviously didn't give a shit about him. She probably wanted to kill him that's why she fed him regular chicken instead of free range and always gave him whole milk in his coffee instead of skim. What do you guys think?

I'm shocked! I thought you were one of those NWHiker pacifists!

:D NWHikers yeah but pacifist...Nah. Many sides to me the folks there have never seen. I can play both ways :eveeel:

here is to all you folks trying to get rid of the flies in the house. :brew: Damn flies need some swatting.

I heard about this guy having a heart attack last week, at age 52. I was wondering, do you suppose if he hadn't eaten that hotdog at the Dodgers game back in 1993, if that was the direct cause? Or could it have been the 144 times he lost his temper during a 5 year, 1 month, 28 day span between 1991 and 1997? I also heard he salted his lunch a few hours earlier- do you think that's what triggered the heart attack? What if he'd had fiber cereal that morning? That could have knocked enough plaque from his descending aorta that he might have survived, or not had the heart attack. Or maybe he would have had angina but not a heart attack. or maybe he would have had angina, a mild heart attack, and then been released and could be watching jeopardy tonight instead of taking a 6 foot dirt nap and leaving his wife and kids to fend for himself. What a selfish fucking idiot this guy was, and his wife, she fed him all those fatty food, she obviously didn't give a shit about him. She probably wanted to kill him that's why she fed him regular chicken instead of free range and always gave him whole milk in his coffee instead of skim. What do you guys think?

Hey, I'm no expert eater, still working my way up to the hardcore stuff, but I think all those fat people should be required to cary those AEDs (automagic defribriligator devices) I think is waht they are called. That would have saved this guy. so irresposssissbsle.

Only $895 device to save family suffering.. so sad when irresponsible people don't think of others.

Yeah and the guy was transported by ambulance, using our hard earned tax dollars to try and SAVE his irresponsible ass. I hope they billed his wife for it, because I sure ain't paying for this crap. I only eat good food, only idiots eat unhealthy food, I mean what was he thinking.

Oh and a new piece of info I heard- they said he smoked occasionally- I wonder if the cigarettes contributed, and how much? How many fewer cigarettes would he have had to have to avoid the heart attack? Were they low tar cigarettes? Menthol? Did he ever smoke filterless?

His wife is a real cunt for killing him.