Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

Several in the Mt. Hood thread (including admins) have suggested that a separate topic be started for speculation, but no one ever starts one.

So here, I'm doing it. If you don't like speculation or 'what if' or debate over what might have happened or regurgitation and analysis of info. derived from press conferences, interviews, and the media, this isn't your place.

And if you don't want to post to this thread, don't, but then don't post to the other one either, cause this one is here now. You have no excuses.

Cheers!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Good Job! This was probably needed a while ago..."

No, it wasn't, and it's not needed now.

Ok, let me speculate - twocents is a hypocritical asshole, advocating respect for the climbers families, but then carrying on with morbid speculation that causes nothing but more hurt by second guessing a situation that he knows nothing about and cannot offer anythig relevent to.

Not too far off, eh?

With all the people who obviously climb all parts of Mt. Hood, I most definitely and wholeheartedly believe that the remaining two will be found. Sooner or later. Further, it wouldn't surprise me if there were those out there who never gave up the search until then. However long it takes.

With all the people who obviously climb all parts of Mt. Hood, I most definitely and wholeheartedly believe that the remaining two will be found. Sooner or later. Further, it wouldn't surprise me if there were those out there who never gave up the search until then. However long it takes.

Maybe in the summer after the spring thaw.

I'm not familiar with the device or how to use it, but it was pointed out that it wouldn't have saved them anyway due to weather and summit accessibility. The cell phone pings told where they probably were. On the other hand, if there are really pictures of them at the summit, that means they weren't overly concerned enough about the weather at that point to at least forget the pictures and so something else. Doesn't it come down to when they might have made the decision to use the device if they had it? (turn it on or whatever you do to signal). Is it line of sight? Does it cut through clouds? I've been involved in CAP SARs and ATC wants you to call them at the first sign of trouble. It's when people wait too long to ask for help as if they don't want to be a bother that costs them sometimes.

Several in the Mt. Hood thread (including admins) have suggested that a separate topic be started for speculation, but no one ever starts one.

So here, I'm doing it. If you don't like speculation or 'what if' or debate over what might have happened or regurgitation and analysis of info. derived from press conferences, interviews, and the media, this isn't your place.

And if you don't want to post to this thread, don't, but then don't post to the other one either, cause this one is here now. You have no excuses.

Cheers!

You are a jerk. You know why, this thread has a title of "speculation". A moderator requested this of you.

This needs to be in spray.

Edited by kevbone

No known moderator has requested anything of me, nor have I engaged in any discussion with anyone about the title of this thread, so I don't know where you're getting your information. And you can stop with the name calling and exhibit some class. If you have that in you. Perhaps the title can be changed, I haven't tried. I might consider it if you change your viscous tone. Isn't spray another word for flaming? As in, insulting? That isn't the purpose of this thread, so no, it doesn't belong there. It's only that way for now cause certain individuals are making it that way.

I've had multiple accounts banned and posts erased, because of what I said early on, and what has now become true.

They weren't prepared. Even a simple ECWS Gortex bivy and bag, stove and some MREs would have given them a chance. But they went up with nothing.

Yeah, they wanted to do a technical climb light and fast, but this is what happens. And then the taxpayers aren't spending $3,000 an hour for nothing to keep a Blackhawk in the air. And 300 gallons of fuel an hour for those C-130s.

Even 20 lbs of gear and they could have weathered thru this fine, and over last weekend, we'd be picking them up and no problems.

If you're going to go up a place like Hood, in December, and not even take a ECWS bag, a MSR stove and fuel , and food and MRE's, this is what happens.

All the gear you guys made fun of me saying I carry, I would have been fine for 2 weeks in a snow cave (And been loving it.) Weather breaks, I hear that Chinook overhead, and I signal with my mirror.

Not frozen to death with a orange for food.

this thread is pissing ALOT of people off right now twocents, as we discussed last night.

That's not my fault. Many (including at least one admin) kept whining that there should be a separate thread and I got tired of it. It took 10 seconds to start one, but they wouldn't do it. They'd rather complain. Now they've got one, and that complaint is no longer valid. They'll have to find something else to whine about. If you don't like it, complain to the powers at be.

We thought we would find a bunch of the lost bodies two summers ago when we had the biggest thaw, but there weren't many finds. Everytime I hauled off discarded, full, blue bags I was thinking I'd find something bigger in newly exposed areas. With the exception of an old collapsed/shredded Bibler tent and an old axe, I found nuthin'

I think its called a discussion. At least thats what we used to call in when people talked about things. My suggestion is if you don't like it leave. Only my second post ever, I just want you to quit bickering and get on with it. Its like playing cards with my brother's kids Christ Almighty!!

I've had multiple accounts banned and posts erased, because of what I said early on, and what has now become true.

They weren't prepared. Even a simple ECWS Gortex bivy and bag, stove and some MREs would have given them a chance. But they went up with nothing.

Yeah, they wanted to do a technical climb light and fast, but this is what happens. And then the taxpayers aren't spending $3,000 an hour for nothing to keep a Blackhawk in the air. And 300 gallons of fuel an hour for those C-130s.

Even 20 lbs of gear and they could have weathered thru this fine, and over last weekend, we'd be picking them up and no problems.

If you're going to go up a place like Hood, in December, and not even take a ECWS bag, a MSR stove and fuel , and food and MRE's, this is what happens.

All the gear you guys made fun of me saying I carry, I would have been fine for 2 weeks in a snow cave (And been loving it.) Weather breaks, I hear that Chinook overhead, and I signal with my mirror.

Not frozen to death with a orange for food.

This is pure speculation, but I think that you are wrong.