Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, maybe you're misfiled, it's entirely possible you're a Clueless Twit rather than a Ghoul.

Map stations around the mountain? Jesus fuck, just follow the paved wheelchair trail and you'll be fine.

Serious answer? There are any number of guidebooks that offer the information you seek (either BUY them or use your local public Library), and places like Mapzone will allow you to download topo maps. What more do you want? Conversely, you could hire a guide service. I'd recommend an AMGA guide.

It would have been nice had someone here informed the out of state climbers about the availability of MLU's. Since it has been stated MLU's are proprietary to Mt. Hood, they most likely had no idea they could have rented one for only $5/day.

And, if they'd made their call for help on Saturday, Dec 9th, they might have been rescued on the 10th before all the bad weather came in. Of course, that would have depended on rescuers knowing where to find them. That's where the MLU would have come in.

Too late for them.

When will the next big national search for the needle in the haystack on Mt. Hood take place?

And, if they'd made their call for help on Saturday, Dec 9th, they might have been rescued on the 10th before all the bad weather came in.

Better yet, what if they called in for help on Thursday, before they started the climb? Then SAR could have been waiting for them when they arrived.

Dipshit.

So what can be gained by this or any other discussion on this tragedy? I will ask a simple question and I expect someone here can answer it...where is the best location online where a climber who is unfamiliar with Hood can get a detailed route map of Hood?

As I recall, Jerry posted on one of these climbing forums that they were having trouble finding maps. Is there a site all climbers can go that features a collection of route maps? Are maps available at stations around the mountain? At the summit? If not, can pdf maps of each mountain be "stickied" in a thread at the top of each forum?

Off_white: I can see the humor in your post and I can understand the ridiculousness of my question from the viewpoint of a regular climber. I'm just saying that not only do experienced climbers attempt these climbs, but some pretty inexperienced ones do to and not too bright ones do too (I've seen many a rescue from geniuses here in Arizona who attempt to climb a mountain in 90+ degrees with insufficient water.) Can they not put maps in the same places these guys left their notes? You act like it's a ridiculous question of a non-climber but Jerry, who was an experienced climber, had trouble locating the maps.

And, if they'd made their call for help on Saturday, Dec 9th, they might have been rescued on the 10th before all the bad weather came in.

Better yet, what if they called in for help on Thursday, before they started the climb? Then SAR could have been waiting for them when they arrived.

Dipshit.

Hello idiot! They had their "problem" on Saturday, right?

Moron.

So what can be gained by this or any other discussion on this tragedy? I will ask a simple question and I expect someone here can answer it...where is the best location online where a climber who is unfamiliar with Hood can get a detailed route map of Hood?

As I recall, Jerry posted on one of these climbing forums that they were having trouble finding maps. Is there a site all climbers can go that features a collection of route maps? Are maps available at stations around the mountain? At the summit? If not, can pdf maps of each mountain be "stickied" in a thread at the top of each forum?

my cat's breath smells like catfood

I was drunk last night and I walked outside in the pouring rain to pee off the deck. As I was mid-stream (WAY too much Juble Ale and Red wine)the dog came up and started lapping wildly at his new-found treasure of piss. UN-believable. :noway:

eeeewwww :sick: remind me to not let your dog lick my face :sick:

my cat's breath smells like catfood

I was drunk last night and I walked outside in the pouring rain to pee off the deck. As I was mid-stream (WAY too much Juble Ale and Red wine)the dog came up and started lapping wildly at his new-found treasure of piss. UN-believable. :noway:

eeeewwww :sick: remind me to not let your dog lick my face :sick:

It's wasn't my dog. :grlaf: And he seems to really enjoy it. :brew:

dude, he could not find a map because he was in NY. I am sure they picked one up at REI when they picked up the other gear they purchased. There are plenty of maps of hood here in PDX.

There are no actual maps out there with the routes drawn on them. There not trails to the top, just routes. Books will give some idea of routes by drawing it on a photo or in a dinky map in the book. Part of the fun of climbing, is route finding.

BTW nothing can be gained here in spray but a ton of laughs. It is spray dude, get over the Hood thing. It happened, shit happens. Not a damn thing to learn here.

Edited by tazz