Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the web site address was published on the national media links to the Mt. Hood event. I'm a beginning climber (Mt. Yale Colorado July '06) who found the site that way. I'm very interested in climbing in the Cascades and I want to learn. I'm not into spraying the site but I don't know where to post to ask honest questions and I feel somewhat intimidated by the attacks and shutdowns that keep appearing. I know about the "newbie's post area" but my impression is that the "insiders" on this site are downright unfriendly. Is it a closed or open site and since this thread has been moved to spray who cares? I generally skim threads unless I'm really interested in them and I don't follow all of the conversations before I post.

Perhaps since yahoo shut down its message boards all the yahoo trolls are posting here. Anyway, that cut rope is weird and so was James' phone call. Maybe it is gawker curiosity but, in defense of gawkers, the reason for gawker curiosity (admit it people - we all do it) is that people don't want to repeat the mistakes that got the people they are gawking at in trouble.

Jim: the newbies forum has an enforced politeness policy, and does much of the rest of the board. The Climbers Board, up at the top, is also an okay place to ask questions of a general climbing nature. It might be best to wait a week or two for things to calm down, all the flap has folks riled up and feeling touchy, any community, online or flesh, can only absorb so many new people before the cease to be seen as individuals.

Many of the people engaged in the wild speculation are not climbers looking for clues as to how to avoid the situation themselves, they are people looking for drama and vicarious thrills, rubberneckers at an ugly freeway wreck. High winds, zero visibility, hypothermia, and avalanche conditions are quite enough to explain their demise. It's likely a more specific analysis will emerge from official channels, but it won't change what experienced climbers already know: sometimes, things go wrong.

Bear in mind that while this story has been played up, in part due to geographic and temporal proximity to the Kim family tragedy, it's not a unique event and most folks who've been in this sport for awhile know people who've died. We also know people who have died of heart attacks, cancer, and in car accidents, so I wouldn't make too big a deal over the fact that we are not dissuaded from doing something we love.

The regulars on this site are all kinds of things, and like most people, different things at different times and places. If you want to find a home and friends here, it's likely you'll be able to do that.

1) What was the weather forecast the day they began their climb?

2) What had been the extent of climbing traffic on the NF during that period and one week prior? What's "normal traffic" on the NF in early December?

3) What do experienced local climbers think of anyone, particularly climbers not familiar with the NF routes, attempting such a climb in early December?

I'm not into spraying the site but I don't know where to post to ask honest questions and I feel somewhat intimidated by the attacks and shutdowns that keep appearing. I know about the "newbie's post area" but my impression is that the "insiders" on this site are downright unfriendly.

As Ed McMahon would say to Johnny, "You are correct sir." Welcome to the club.

Maybe it is gawker curiosity but, in defense of gawkers, the reason for gawker curiosity (admit it people - we all do it) is that people don't want to repeat the mistakes that got the people they are gawking at in trouble.

You are correct again, but don't try to tell that to the 'insiders.' They are perfect people who have already learned everything there is to know about climbing, at least in their own twisted minds. If you don't believe me, just ask them, they'll tell ya, "I am a perfect person who has already learned everything there is about climbing. Now go away you freakin newbie with less thatn 200 posts."

I haven't hiked on the north face of Hood before, but I have many years experience as an undercover cop. And this thing has all the marks of Jamaican coke gangs. The cut rope, the orange.

I think Screwface may be behind this. I'm going to investigate and when I get to the bottom of it, I'll report back and you guys call the sheriff.

I'm not into spraying the site but I don't know where to post to ask honest questions and I feel somewhat intimidated by the attacks and shutdowns that keep appearing. I know about the "newbie's post area" but my impression is that the "insiders" on this site are downright unfriendly.

As Ed McMahon would say to Johnny, "You are correct sir." Welcome to the club.

Maybe it is gawker curiosity but, in defense of gawkers, the reason for gawker curiosity (admit it people - we all do it) is that people don't want to repeat the mistakes that got the people they are gawking at in trouble.

You are correct again, but don't try to tell that to the 'insiders.' They are perfect people who have already learned everything there is to know about climbing, at least in their own twisted minds. If you don't believe me, just ask them, they'll tell ya, "I am a perfect person who has already learned everything there is to know about climbing. Now go away you freakin newbie with less than 200 posts."

You are correct again, but don't try to tell that to the 'insiders.' They are perfect people who have already learned everything there is to know about climbing, at least in their own twisted minds. If you don't believe me, just ask them, they'll tell ya, "I am a perfect person who has already learned everything there is about climbing. Now go away you freakin newbie with less thatn 200 posts."

Is there a good Jesus website I can go to? Because I've heard about this Jesus thing and I have some ideas I'd like to go share with the "true believers" and experts on the subject. I'd like to offer to them that the whole thing is a manmade fantasy and that Jesus was a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur. And that "faith" is based on "hope", neither of which is based on "fact". And that the whole structure of all organized religion has it's foundations in the writings of superstitious men 1500 to 2000 years ago...men who claimed "God told me what to write" and out came the Bible, and the Koran and the Gita, et. al. Never mind that if anyone today claimed that God talked to them directly they are dismissed as blasphemous by even the true believers. What these men thousands of years ago said must be true because if it isn't, my whole life is a falsehood. Oh I'm rambling, I was just asking if you knew of a good website where I could share my opinions with true believers, preferably one where they won't get upset by my opinions even though they've devoted their whole lives to studying these issues specifically and can be considered experienced scholars on the subject, whereas I, the hellbound doubting Thomas I am, obviously don't know shit since I have a different view...

Anyway, links please? Thanks for your help!!

Cheers,

Steven

Ok I read on another thread that they didn't summit until Friday. If that is true, then they spent Friday night together in that cave, and woke to bad weather coming in on Saturday.

Still doesn't explain why they split up, though.

let me say this for ya REAL SLOW LIKE....

NO ONE CAN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED UP THERE BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO KNOW ARE DEAD. PERIOD.

if you are truly interested in what the experts have to say, check out the '06 alpine accident journal thinger when it comes out. they will compile all of the pertinent information, with all the info from all the experts and then we will know the best guess from the information available. until then there is no way to know. it will take them months to sort it out.