Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and also, a friend had alot of posts deleted, edited, etc, on another board a few years ago.

I helped them invoke their $25,000 per occurance and other fees.

"The internet didn't exist back when the Nazi's started."

Duh backdoor boy taker, take your finger out of your ass hole. I KNOW I was on the internet before you.

I was on ARPA/DARPA net and sending e-mail from 1978 on.

I ran a WWWW board from early 1980's on.

I Registered my first domain and had a server running in 1994.

For responsibility, The person who the web site was Registered to was the final focus of the claim.

They settled out of court for a high 5 figures. The court put leins on all people associated with the site's property.

Not just the owners, but moderators who had deleted,modified, changed posts.

So keep deleteing and changing these posts wankers.

8==========================================================D

Mine's longer.

oh well, the whole thing is just very sad. My heart goes out to the families. Also, condolences to the climbing community, as well.
Your condolences have been received by no one on this thread. There is no climbing community on this thread, and if there is, they don't care.

As a long time member of the Speakers Bureau of the ACLU of Washington specializing in the loss of our civil liberties since 911, I would like to formally protest the unconstitutional erasure of posts on this forum, and modification of quotations without the author's permission, often using language offensive to impacted turds, the mentally disabled, animal lovers, and other protected groups. If the moderators on this forum, which is free and open to all mankind regardless of race, creed, species, sexual preference, cross-species preference, mixed species lineage, and mental capacity, do not cease and desist in this unbecoming (don't take this personally) assault on our most cherished freedoms my organization will be forced to extract $25,000 per incident. I have already filed a complaint with our national office in New York and our lawyers are standing by for the let's roll signal.

We recommend that a motivational speaker who has run three successful forums be brought in to mitigate this fascist abuse of power.

Thank you and God Bless.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Why are you mooning me like some pesky goat in heat? Never mind, I don't care, I'm gonna fuck you anyway.

I gotta tell ya folks, I came here to gleen some info about 3 men that have captured the attention and hearts of millions of people in manycountries. They have brought a great deal of attention and new found interest and admiration for you and your sport/hobby/love.People are coming here to learn about these men and what drove them to Mt.Hood in the first place. I read your TR (a term I learned here) in a state of shock and awe, my god would I love to try what you people speak of...I do not have the heart to do it, but I'm here to learn and enjoy the thrill,through your posts, something I will not ever accomplish. Companies spend millions and millions of dollars to attract the kind of attention that this site has attracted under some extremely unfortunate circumstances.

I am the admin of 3 successful web forums, there is no need to name them as that is not my purpose. I mention that because visiting this forum is bittersweet.There truly is some invaluable information here but it is lost as is credibility of the site, when the trash talk (as quoted above from an admin) is found everywhere on the site. The kind of talk that you people, attorneys, Dr's,"personalities" etc. spew,is totally unbecoming and very damaging to your forum and it speaks volumes of the upper echelon that can afford to participate in this sport.

Off_White, please don't take this personal, but I am surprised that you as an admin also act this way. This forum is way out of control and does much damage to you. I'm sure that is why only one of the three that lost their lives on Mt.Hood ever visited here,and his posts did not spew any of the sludge that seems to be common here.

Protect your sport, be proud of the fact that you people are fearless compared to most of us, but more importantly carry yourselves in this forum as you would in your profession. The eyes of the world are on you, make the Mt. Hood 3 proud.

Help the growth of your site and sport, not hurt it.

I expect much "spray" from my post, that seems to be pretty typical...going back to my corner now...be well and thoughts and prayers to the families and precious holidays to you all.

i appreciate what you are trying to say here but i firmly disagree. did it ever occur to you that we have the sense of humor and brash personalities that we have and that is part of what gives us the strength and determination to climb? To do the things that other people think are impossible. That you yourself say you do not have the heart to do?

not every climber is the same. cc.com is certainly not for every climber. there are several other well known climbing boards that do not tolerate vulgarity or spraying as it were. and if you want your information with out the colourful commentary i am sure we can put a list together for you of those sites. cc.com is cc.com because that is how it evolved. We have had debates about this issue on and off thought out the existence of cc.com and we will continue to self regulate and be moderated by our peers. you are not one of our peers. I am not on this board for you. I am here to share the information that i have (or be corrected when i am wrong) with people i like, and have a great deal in common with. Don't come here and judge us and tell us to live your life style. I am not on your board telling you, that you are a worthless uninteresting colourless droll with no sense of humor and you have to curse and learn to climb today to be of any value to humanity. I wouldn't do that. I believe you should live how you believe. I WILL LIVE HOW I BELIEVE.

muffin

I gotta tell ya folks, I came here to gleen some info about 3 men that have captured the attention and hearts of millions of people in manycountries.

Well, don't take this personally TekEss, but you came here because you've been sold a bill of goods by the media who's flogging a soap opera for the sake of making the kind of money you seem to think the owners of this site should be bellying up to the trough to get their share of.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very sad thing that has happened, and strikes a chord with the members of this site because it's the sort of thing that could happen to anyone here. The three climbers sound like good folks, and were certainly very special to their friends and family, but the tragedy of untimely death is repeated a thousand times a minute across the globe. I've had six friends die in the mountains, and odds are you've never heard of any of them. There's nothing especially noble about climbing, and as you've noted, about climbers in general either.

This site is a place for climbers in the Northwest to talk amongst themselves, about ideas, adventures, plans, and all kinds of stuff. Many have the same kind of black humor you'll find among firemen, ambulance drivers, and ER docs. We also shoot the shit, argue amongst ourselves, insult each other, and have bitter battles over things that are essentially trivial in the greater scheme of things. We're not about explaining what we do to the world at large, and it's merely happenstance that we've been one of several ground zeros for the kind of frenzy a good disaster with a human element excites in a public that chooses to live vicariously.

For the record, I'm not an administrator or owner of this site, I'm a poster who was asked to become a volunteer moderator. More specifically, I'm a Spray Moderator, which means I have a thick skin, a wicked sense of humor, an inclination towards irreverence, and am an advocate for intellectual freedom and free expression.

This site may very well not suit you. It's certainly not for everyone. You might want to check out rockclimbing.com, summitpost.com, or nwhikers.net, all sites that cater to different aspects of climbing.

Off i think i have said it several times over the past few days. I adore you. THank you again and again for eloquently explaing who we are and why we do what we do. you totally 100% :rawk: Next time i see you i am going to buy you a beer.(or 6)

much love

Muffin

I've watched this board as well as many news sites and other forums over the last week and a half. I'm very appreciative of the rescuers and support crew that were up on the mountain and the people who provided credible news and links on the situation. It's a terrible loss to the friends and families of these three climbers and for that I offer my condolences.

To those who feel the need to speculate on the situation, specifically those who have never, ever, remotely climbed or even walked on a trail... Fuck off. You weren't there, you're not there, you're not going to be there, and most importantly in a few weeks you won't be here, but on some other board speculating about some other tragedy in which you have no clue about the sport, activity, or occupation.

To everyone bitching about the tone, attitude, caring, not caring ect of the people on this board, well they were here before you, they'll be here after us and they actually climb; thus this is a climbing board. They didn't infest this place like all of us who found it via a link. At one point in my life I worked with EMS and if you think the jokes and attitude here are repulsive, just try talking with a group of EMTs and Medics who responded to a mass trauma or major incident, you'd be repulsed there too, but guess what they put their lives on the line to save your asses each and every day.

I'll step off my soap-box now. Spray on! (Hope you guys don't mind a So Cal hiker, nope not a climber, with less than 50 posts.)((Wait, I don't give 2-cents what you think.))

Edited by So Cal

they brought 6 axes up . imofuo

Why do you say 6 axes? Would they normally climb that rockface with one in each hand?

ummm DUH

swing 'em if you got 'em BITCH

ICE CLIMBING SOUNDS LIKE THIS

clink clink

clink clink

hand hand

foot foot

the things you put on your feet are called CRAMPONS

i appreciate that you want to understand

there are 80 pages already written where you can read all about all of this. go away.

I've watched this board as well as many news sites and other forums over the last week and a half. I'm very appreciative of the rescuers and support crew that were up on the mountain and the people who provided credible news and links on the situation. It's a terrible loss to the friends and families of these three climbers and for that I offer my condolences.

To those who feel the need to speculate on the situation, specifically those who have never, ever, remotely climbed or even walked on a trail... Fuck off. You weren't there, you're not there, you're not going to be there, and most importantly in a few weeks you won't be here, but on some other board speculating about some other tragedy in which you have no clue about the sport, activity, or occupation.

To everyone bitching about the tone, attitude, caring, not caring ect of the people on this board, well they were here before you, they'll be here after us and they actually climb; thus this is a climbing board. They didn't infest this place like all of us who found it via a link. At one point in my life I worked with EMS and if you think the jokes and attitude here are repulsive, just try talking with a group of EMTs and Medics who responded to a mass trauma or major incident, you'd be repulsed there too, but guess what they put their lives on the line to save your asses each and every day.

I'll step off my soap-box now. Spray on! (Hope you guys don't mind a So Cal hiker, nope not a climber, with less than 50 posts.)((Wait, I don't give 2-cents what you think.))

i would boot up with you any day. and buy the beer. :brew: i love to hike when i am not craggin' :tup:

and truly, thank you.

I worked realy hard to get this in spray. So F@#$k off bro.

Excuse me? You did nothing of the sort. And you have no one but me to thank for ending the speculative posts while all you did is contribute to the problem. Admin is definitely not in your future. Now show some appreciation and contribute to support my good deeds buy clicking on the link below to make a paypal donation.

http://www.kevboner.com

Fawk off bitch. You are a newbie. Nothing new. If it wasnt for me this would still be a speculating bitch thread in Oregon Cascades that needs to be in Spray. I got it changed, no one else. You personaly have pissed folks off. I dont care about that. I have done my share of that. But learn your place Mr. 50 posts.

I piss people off? OMG, no! That's so uncalled for and out of the norm here. You would never do that, right? You're just another jerk who needs to take a good look in the mirror. And I bet you want us to believe that Santa comes down chimneys to eat milk and cookies and leave presents, the Easter Bunny leaves eggs in the grass, and the tooth fairy leaves quarters under pillows. You're as bad as O.J. The proof is in the first post of this thread. Case closed, liar. Now go fuck yourself with an ice axe. Use the sharp end.

So of course this is just a snapshot of the climbing "community" or perhaps you're not even part of the community at all. You have your culture here and you dislike the fact that people have showed up here lately as a result of this story. You seem to have contempt for those who don't climb, but are curious about your lifestyle. That seems clear. I'm here because I'm interested in mountain climbing, and wanted to learn more about it, to be able to have a reasonably educated discussion about it with others, realizing that while I read the forums here, YES, you have climbed and I have not.

However, when somebody like Molly comes in here, asking very simple common-sense questions, the kind of questions I was thinking of also, and anybody with a brain would think of, it struck me as odd that you attacked her so viciously, so quickly and reflexively.

Some of you seem like smart, witty people, so it leads me to wonder:

Is it that you just don't really want to know what happened, even if some simple deduction might provide at least a much clearer picture of what happened?

If they went up unprepared, does this give your sport a bit of a black eye, perhaps, like maybe some of you are really as dumb as the non-climbers think you are, mentioning the Darwin Awards and all that?

Do you truly believe a non-climber can't put 2 and 2 together on some very simple questions about the sequence of events?

A non-climber has no right to even THINK about these things?

Is it just part of your culture that you avoid talking about the obvious, like it's whistling past the graveyard?

By the way, you can have your forum back in a few weeks. Yes, most of the interested people will have moved on by then, or will have been turned off much sooner, depending on whether they read the smart comments of somebody more professional or the poser comments of somebody who might be a 14-year-old, or just acts like one.

You'll still be here wondering why the hell you're so junior-high defensive about one woman coming in here and asking some really fucking obvious questions, however. Or maybe you won't be. Either way, you'll still go on doing what you do, right?

Do you truly believe a non-climber can't put 2 and 2 together on some very simple questions about the sequence of events?

Seriously, the questions may seem simple, but we aren't really talking integers or a serial sequence of events. It is in every respect far more complicated than it appears on the surface. Attempts to reduce it all to 'simple' questions in an incident such as this largely destroys most of the value in the exercise of examining it at all.

A non-climber has no right to even THINK about these things?

Everyone is free to think about it. The trouble is in the judgments and conclusions which typically follow when the people doing the thinking are not climbers. The perception of risk is a very subtle and complex affair in both individual humans and in society as a whole - much of it is misinformed, faulty, and clouded by our genetic past, perceptual thresholds, and popular myth. Climbers are quite wary of regulatory conclusions made under the influence of such bias.

For example, my main partner did his masters on the perception of risk. As part of that he planned to have volunteers do a supervised rappel backed-up by a safety rope and belay and then survey their before and after perceptions of risk. His thesis committee (all non-climbers) wouldn't let him do the experiment saying it was too 'risky'. This sort of thing happens everyday and public policy sometimes flows from high profile events such as this - it is rarely good policy or policy grounded in any objective reality.

Does anyone expect that there will ever be any kind of scientific study/analysis done on the cause of this tragedy (like the NTSB does after an airplane crash) by any group (government or private) or will we be left with these discussions, speculations, and spay?

Does anyone know of a forum, with a competent moderator and a group of experienced climbers, that might actually discuss this in a meaningful way? --Thanks

Jezz folks - calm down. I agree that speculation is a reasonable discussion thread. I haven't followed all the posts on this topic but let folks speculate. Who cares if they get it wrong?

I think many on this forum could learn from a little honest speculaiton. I'm still wondering about the "cut rope". Anyone have any speculations about that one?

Does anyone expect that there will ever be any kind of scientific study/analysis done on the cause of this tragedy (like the NTSB does after an airplane crash) by any group (government or private) or will we be left with these discussions, speculations, and spay?

Does anyone know of a forum, with a competent moderator and a group of experienced climbers, that might actually discuss this in a meaningful way? --Thanks

Q1: The American Alpine Club and the Alpine Club of Canada jointly produce Accidents in North American Mountaineering, an annual compendium of accident reports from climbing accidents in the United States and Canada. Through analyzing what went wrong in each situation, ANAM gives experienced and beginning mountaineers the opportunity to learn from other climbers' mistakes. From inadequate protection, clothing, or equipment to inexperience, errors in judgment, and exceeding abilities, the mistakes recorded in this book are invaluable safety lessons for all climbers.

Accidents in North American Mountaineering also contains more than 50 years worth of accident data in table form.

AAC members receive a complimentary copy of Accidents in North American Mountaineering with their annual membership. Copies also are available for purchase in many retail bookstores, mountaineering equipment shops, or directly from our distributor, The Mountaineers Books. Orders can be placed directly through their website or by calling 800.553.4453.

As for Q2, ..... right here or you can paw around on the top 100 climbing sites by popularity.

http://www.top100climbing.com/

...cc.com is 22nd this past weekend.

BTW, you asked ".....or will we be left with these discussions, speculations, and spay". Yes, many annoying questioners have been adroitly, properly "spayed" here. I knew the answer to Q1, because it has been asked and answered four or five times before. Be safe.

also- as an outsider, .... this board is emblematic of the human spirit, has very poignant posts by new and old alike, and makes for incredible reading. .......and I am thankful it wasn't zippered up at the first sign the circus was coming to town without any "blue bags".

Jezz folks - calm down. I agree that speculation is a reasonable discussion thread. I haven't followed all the posts on this topic but let folks speculate. Who cares if they get it wrong?

I think many on this forum could learn from a little honest speculaiton. I'm still wondering about the "cut rope". Anyone have any speculations about that one?

The problem is that the ghouls looking for a train wreck have taken over cc.com. There are far too many posts from people who dont't climb, and don't know Mt. Hood. Many of them suggest the conspiricy theory, hidden evidence, some kind of cover-up. Like, was there an argument at the summit, did someone cut the rope, is the sheriff lying, are the rescuers that post on here really telling the truth? The nonsense goes on and on, and the regulars here do not appreciate it. If you want to lurk and find out info as it becomes available. If you want to learn about climbing, stay here. But if you want to post your inane uneducated drivel, please leave.