Mt. Hood events speculation

twocents

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well one thing they seem to agree on, although it might not be right, either, is that they all spent at least one night together in the bigger cave on the north face.

I can't help but think they should have stayed together. And, given that they didn't, and now we know there was no injury, why not? What would make climbers separate like that? Wouldn't it be better if they all stayed together where they could look out for each other? Would it be normal for them to just have a difference of opinion and separate on top of a mountain?

They had no gear (ECWS system, food, stove, etc.), so was a suicide mission. One found froze to death/dehydrated/hypothermia, etc. You got a chance with food and proper gear, but to just walk up with nothing but rope, picks and some candy bars = Part of the Glacier.

Well, maybe in 4,000 years when the glacier spits these guys out, future science will have a look back into the past, like that frozen guy they found in the alps.

Yes, a trajedy, but they were climbing to the top of Mt. Hood in December, not hiking to 7/11. You ain't going to last long in a snow cave if your food supplies are half and orange.

if there was no injury, it means they all fell and he survived.....for a while

You think they all fell from the location of the small cave and he made it back to the second cave somehow? I had sort of thought something like that, given the strange words in the telephone message. But, there's nothing to indicate he was ever there, that we know about. The sheriff said something about a cut rope, as if that was supposed to give us some kind of hidden information.

Molly, come on, stop before you hurt your delicate consitution. There is no hidden information, and a dozen possibilities. Playing "what if" after the fact (its very helpful in advance) is for, well, VULTURES!!!

And trolls, as its just been pointed out to me. So you're a vulture. Or a troll. Both are, well, pretty fucking pathetic.

Edited by mtnfreak

The autopsy report came back that Mr. James had no injuries.

I "speculate" that he was either too exhausted to continue or he had continued and the other two had fallen off the mtn and he went back to the snow cave unable to continue alone and made a desperate call to his wife for help. I think the latter makes more sense.

Why are you mooning me like some pesky goat in heat? Never mind, I don't care, I'm gonna fuck you anyway.

I gotta tell ya folks, I came here to gleen some info about 3 men that have captured the attention and hearts of millions of people in manycountries....

Gotta tell ya folks, and I tell alotta folks alotta stuff because I run 3 successful web forums and grew up on a 50 million acre ranch where we spent millions of dollars to do what you guys have done with your site even though it needs my input to really take it to the next level, although I'm not a climber, so more impacted turds such as myself will visit and provide more helpful advice, especially to the unbecoming moderators who soil their sports reputation by talking about ass fucking alot and don't seem to carry themselves as they would in their profession, particularly because they're in the upper echelon. I'm just trying to bring you guys up to the kind of nobility and bearing I've seen in movies like Vertical Limit where brave men do heroic deeds without any swear words. No offense and God Bless.

molly? you still standin?

Yes, lol. I'm thinking. If they summited on Thursday, as I think the sheriff indicated, and for some reason spent the night in the big cave, my understanding was that the bad weather didn't blow in until Saturday. So, again, I'm wondering why they split up if one wasn't injured.

I climb, I just don't go out without my gear and supplies. If they had supplies, and it fell off the face, then I'd feel differently.

When that Bird Colonel saw those cell phone pics, notice how suddenly the C-130s, Blackhawks and Chinooks "Withdrew for maintenance." Everybody in uniform was pulled immediatley. He said to himslef "I'm not keeping boots on the ground looking for these guys, they got no plan, no back-up, no supplies and no hope."

Hi two cents. I'm not a climber, either, but I am haunted by this tragedy and would just like to be able to talk about it with someone. So I'll speculate with you, and maybe someone who knows something about climbing will show up and give us some facts about what might have happened to these guys.

This new information about no injury to Kelly has me really confused. At least it was all making some sense before.

No one who knows anything about climbing will come into this 'spray' thread and teach you anything about the subject. So don't hold your breath. A few might have, a little bit, in the original Mt. Hood thread under the Route category, but they won't here. In all actuality, I'm not interested in speculation. I'm interested in fact. But since the facts are so vague for us, the only thing left is speculation.

I agree with you. I'm interested in fact, too. One thing I'm wondering about is that second small cave atop the gullies. I've read that they think they built this cave to protect themseves from the wind while doing something else, and anchored themselves on there. Were they planning to descend the way they came up? Wouldn't that be difficult in that type of weather? And, if they were somehow swept off the cliff there, as has been postulated, why would a glove and a sleeping foam be left behind? Those are relatively small and light items that also should have been swept off by a wind or an avalanche.

But, then, I must assume that they wouldn't leave their two axes behind and start a descent there without them on purpose. Ok, I know nothing, but that just stands to reason.

And, why would one stay behind without an injury? A difference of opinion about whether they should leave or stay, perhaps?

It's all a big mystery with a lot of unanswered questions. I'm not sure exactly where they found the items you mentioned, whether they were just laying out on top of the snow, or buried in a snow cave. I tend to think the former, since they knew of them when the photos were taken, and I didn't see them in the photos of the footprints and anchor. And at the point the pics were taken, they hadn't visited the site yet, so I don't know how or when the items were confiscated. The sheriff has to be asked "Do you have the items now?" cause he doesn't volunteer much without being asked, and the press is too lame to know what to ask. The sherrif doesn't divulge much in his press conferences, and when he does, the info changes later. The problem is made worse when the media rarely asks the right questions, and when they do, it takes them days to even think of them. At the Waco, Texas Mt. Carmel David Kouresh incident, I waited for days for a reporter to ask, "If you knew they had automatic weapons inside, why were you outgunned?" cause the lady doing the press conferences said the first day they were "outgunned." Press is kinda slowbrained most of the time.

1.Are people around here drinking?

2. I have some roosters to give away if anyone wants one of their own. They look like the dude above. THey are hella mean.

3.Molly, you are doing well. Taking some flack , but oh well.

I don't think 3 climbers would part company unless there was an accident, and they were forcibly seperated. If there is one rule of thumb for any back country activity, it would be to stick together. I read a post somewhere about the cut rope and I was wondering if there was any kind of fall where a person would cut his climbing mates free? Only if they were dead? I don't know, just wondering.

4. I don't know if there is a discussion where you can get some facts around here--- I don't think anyone has any.

I climb, I just don't go out without my gear and supplies. If they had supplies, and it fell off the face, then I'd feel differently.

When that Bird Colonel saw those cell phone pics, notice how suddenly the C-130s, Blackhawks and Chinooks "Withdrew for maintenance." Everybody in uniform was pulled immediatley. He said to himslef "I'm not keeping boots on the ground looking for these guys, they got no plan, no back-up, no supplies and no hope."

The sheriff indicated they were planning a quick trip up and back. Now I don't know if that's prudent (it probably isn't in mountain situations), but they did have a 3 day window before the storm. How quickly could you reasonably make a round trip climb on that mountain, any idea? Was a one day trip feasible?

Because the flying spaghetti monster decided their time was up you dumb cunt!
That's a completely insensitive thing to say about three fellow members of the climbing community.

You are right. John Travolta piloted Tom Cruise in his jet to the top of Mt Hood, then Tom jumped out of the plane, bounced off the couch Oprah had left on the summit, and pogo sticked down to the climbers. He gave them each the Vulcan neck pinch, then slipped them all a rophy before injecting them with a traceless toxin. Tom then Zorb'd his way down to government camp where he picked up his stockcar that Katie had left at the Huckleberry Inn and Days of Thunder'd his way down 26 to PDX for his Learjet to LA and dinner at Spago (the wild orchid bruschetta and a triple sperm gin martini)