how do you respond to this?

catfishjon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By moving this crap to "Spray" and pointing said user to some facts about rescue costs and directing them to the WTA website :)

Spray forum: "If it's not climbing related this is where you post it. Be warned this forum is not for the thin skinned."

i dunno, maybe i am wrong, but this seemed to be related to climbing...thanks for replying nonetheless!!

Is a climber's life somehow worth less than a non-climber's life?

Is it worth less than a premie born addicted to crack?

Is it worth less than someone who has to be cut out of their car after a horrible accident?

How does one calculate this?

What is the cutoff amount? Who decides?

What if it were your child? Your husband? Your brother who were lost up there? How much would they be worth? How would you feel if while they were looking for your loved one others were discussing the economics of that person?

Same line of thought as CatBirdSeat, but what about all those fat smoking lazy bastards who clog our medical system with heart disease, emphysema, diabetes and all the other health problems related to being a fat lazy F*ck.

Just like the comment:

"It really sucks if they don't find anyone to charge for the rescue."

How about: It really sucks if we continue to let people like this drain our system.

Maybe we need warning signs when entering McDonalds or BurgerKing just like the signs we need posting "No climbing" on all our mountains.

"Gotta hate risk inclined people who outsource the bills to the rest of us"

Ask him what he is doing to stop the spread of sexual related diseases from risky behavior--that's a billions of dollars related question. He is wasting my time and yours with questions of search and rescues when the cost is in the thousands of dollars.

"It really sucks if they don't find anyone to charge for the rescue."

As has been said elsewhere on the board, people that say stuff like this are just too stupid to put things in perspective. They've been induced by recent news to hastily and shoddily form an opinion on a subject they know nothing about. I am 100% positive that people who live unhealthy lives and subsequently drain Medicare & our private insurance companies are having a far greater impact on our wallets per capita than climbers. Too bad the bills for self-inflicted health problems are often far beyond what any person could hope to repay. Too bad there's no line in the sand on an "acceptable level of smoke" or "...fat" or "sugar." Likewise, there will never be a line in the sand on weather or climbing difficulty. Why should we recoil from paying peanuts to rescue a few people now and then? We have been given a wonderful gift which resides (for most of us) between our ears, and everyone ought to use it more.

It is amazing to me that anyone would compare one type of health related to another as if those are our choices. If you look at last year's budget, you will see that the money spent on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education are less than half of what we spend on Defense. Where are our priorities? We are willing to spend twice as much to kill someone than we are willing to spend on saving someone? I just don't get it.

Spray forum: "If it's not climbing related this is where you post it.

I have quoted this a million times here. Doesnt matter. Folks choose to post shit that ant climbing related all the time in non spray form. All that matters is how the moderator at the time feels. Biased at its best, or worst.

Throwing up your hands and saying people are too stupid to get it doesn't really advance the ball at all. Tell them what you think, plain and simple. Silence=consent. Don't like it? Speak up regardless of whether they will change their views. Some won't but some will.

Maybe I read ClimbingP's post differently, but after the "too stupid" comment, he followed up with his thoughts. Maybe you were referring to some other post on this thread? Aren't most folks on this board doing exactly as you suggest--speaking up? :tup:

Somebody referred to diabetes as a disease solely having to do with dietary habits.....this is bs. There is Type 1 (early onset) and Type 2......they might as well be two different diseases...Three people in my family had Type 1, and my family's pretty active....I lost my bro at 38 years old to diabetic complications....I'd climbed many a Cascade peak with him before this incident, so obviously he was in good shape.....so just an fyi, don't confuse Type 1 from Type 2(which is the one fat people often get).

Type 2 is a whole lot more common than Type 1 and the situation is getting progressively worse.

It was a lunch that would horrify a dietitian: a bag of Tropical Skittles, a Jones soda, two Little Debbie marshmallow treats, a deep-fried pizza stick and a bottle of sweetened iced tea.

Seattle Students getting Junk-Food Fix Elsewhere (Seattle PI)

Edited by catbirdseat