Hyalite Canyon Access

John Frieh

Hey all

I'm going to guess almost all of you can't or won't drive to Bozeman just for this meeting but if you are headed that way or already out there (Hi BillA :wave:) I would encourage you to attend.

Myself or JoJo will be posting updates in this thread... hopefully their will be some opportunity for some of us to get involved without physically driving to Bozeman.

Details on the Gallatin National Forest travel plan can be found on montanaice.com. It doesn't look good for ice climbers at this point. I hope you all take a little time to get involved.

Hello Ice Climbers,

If you are interested in ice climbing and care about access to Hyalite Canyon near Bozeman this is one meeting you do not want to miss. I apologize in advance if I sent this to you twice (I'm not sure who all is on the climber-list for the coalition).

In light of the recent decisions regarding the Gallatin National Forest travel plan, the South West Montana Climbers Coalition (SMCC) is holding an open education and planning meeting at SPIRE CLIMBING CENTER in Bozeman Thursday December 21 at 7:00 pm.

This meeting is free and open to the public and is highly encouraged that you come and please ask everyone you know interested in climbing to attend.

Tom Kalakay, Bill Dockins and I (Joe Josephson) will be giving a brief overview of the realities of the proposed winter access plans for Hyalite and exactly how it directly concerns ice climbers and XC skiers.

We will also leave significant time for your input, to answer any questions, and solicit for your help, if needed, in moving forward.

The proposed plan has proven to be confusing if not outright obscuring the reality of what it does for winter access.

If nothing else, you need to come to this gathering so that all ice climbers understand our options and can be on the same page.

Please join the rest of the ice climbing community at SPIRE ROCK GYM this Thursday at 7:00 pm .

I can not stress enough just how important your attendance and input will be at this meeting. Please tell all your partners and friends.

If you can't make it Thursday, please email me directly with any questions or comments.

Regards,

Joe Josephson

Spire Climbing Center is located roughly a mile and a half southwest of Montana State University. From I-90 head south on 19th. Just past the intersection at Kagy Blvd. take a right onto Stucky Rd. Head west on Stucky Rd. about 1/4 mile; the gym is located on your left, on the corner of Stucky Rd. and Enterprise Blvd.

If the parking lot is full after 5:00 pm, additional parking is available across the street in the RightNow Technologies parking lot.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUMP

Please send me a PM or post here the number of times you have climbed in Hyalite. Make sure to include (an estimate is fine) how many days/nights you stayed in Bozeman on each trip and whether or not you own a snowmachine.

Bottom line: The Bozeman Chronicle is considering a story that could sway public opinion with respect to the current Gallatin National Forest travel plan.

If you climb ice or are thinking about climbing ice some day this affects you.

Muh. Skiing or even hiking from the dam is no big deal.

Despite appearances, the travel plan as recommended would actually result in the road being gated quite far below the reservoir - and with no snowmachines actually allowed on the road. Snowmachines would instead be routed around the reservoir to the southwest in a longer, circuitous path.

It would make day ventures into the canyon pretty challenging - regardless of your mode of transportation.

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle will be running a story this Sunday about the proposed Gallatin National Forest travel plan and how, if implemented as currently proposed, will result in lost revenue for the town of Bozeman as ice climbers (i.e. you and I) and other winter sports enthusiasts will choose to climb/play else where as canyon access will no longer be viable.

Please take the time to write a letter to the editor supporting this and encouraging the Forrest Service to modify the current proposal.

Ask anyone: Hyalite is one of the best ice climbing destinations in North America... it would be a shame to lose access. Even if you don't climb there how would you like to start sharing your area with other displaced ice climbers? Take 5 minutes out of your spray time and write a letter.

That sucks. I was just there climbing on the 21st on my way to the parents house. I knew nothing about this. By the way, it was a good day. I'd never been there before but I want to go back again with a partner so that I won't find myself leaving a stubby on Genesis II again. Would have stayed around for a a second day but I didn't want to risk having the weather moving in as it was already snowing and was scheduled to do so for the next couple of days. Parents would have been pissed if I didn't make it home for Christmas a third year in a row and not having deployment as an excuse anymore.

Speaking of being home and climbing. Anyone wanna go climbing?

In the 12/23 Bozeman Chronicle:

Travel plan aims to eliminate motorized rec

Having read Becki Heath's Dec. 6 Gallatin Forest supervisor's letter regarding the Gallatin National Forest Travel Management Plan, I have the following comments:

Many of us have been involved with public review of the Gallatin National Forest Travel Plan document drafts from the very beginning. We have attended countless meetings and open houses throughout the area. I now understand very clearly that these were just formalities for what was clearly a preconceived agenda to close the forest to the motorized-user public.

I guess we kind of had some hints that this was the case, but being optimistic people, we continued to jump through all the "review and comment" hoops that were placed before us. A bit naive, I guess, to think that our united voice of reason would be heard.

The real agenda of Rebecca and crew is to completely eliminate motorized recreation from all public lands that she has any control over. If you step back and realize that this is what is going on, it will all begin to make sense.

For instance, do you all remember that the "Preferred Alternative" was put forward by Rebecca and crew prior to the documentation that would determine which alternative would be the best for future management? It sure stuck in my mind. This sounds like a "preconceived agenda" to me!

The other thing that many of us have realized is that it is common practice to pit one user group against another - the old divide-and-conquer theory. (By the way, it seems to be working).

As a member of a number of recreational-user organizations that represent more than 60,000 active members who volunteer their time to keep our forest trails maintained and the forests cleaned up, I believe that all users should respect one another's right to recreate in the way that they choose. No one wants to desecrate or degrade the forest. We all have a great respect for what we have spent a lifetime enjoying.

Bottom line is that the "real facts" do not shed the same light on the picture that you are trying to paint as a rational and reasoned analysis. You just as well could have said "we are closing the forest to motorized recreation because the neighbor has a black dog." Or, "We are going to do what we want; so sue us."

So after the appeal period (the result of which will probably be yet another rubber-stamp rejection of any comment that again doesn't fit her agenda to close the forest), it's off to court we probably go, spending our hard-earned money that then leads to the Forest Service spending more tax dollars (our money too) to try and keep the Montana-based Forest Service "hit squad" on track in its goal to continue the endless, incremental stealing of what is ours, our children's, and our grandchildren's.

No! I don't think we can let this continue to happen.

The impression after reading her flowery-sounding letter: You can throw BS at the barn door all day to see if any sticks, but at the end of the day it is still BS!

Bottom line: The new Gallatin Forest Service Travel Plan as put forth by Rebecca Heath is not about "proper management" it is about: The systematic elimination of motorized recreation on public lands.

Mark P. Hoffman is president and Owner of Crazy Mountain Motorsports Inc. in Clyde Park.

I will post the Chronicle's main business impacts for the town of Bozeman article tomorrow when it comes out (you have to have a subscription to view most of the material) as well as any other letters to the editor that get published. I would love nothing more than to read in the chronicle that they received over 50 letters to the editor regarding the travel plan... but that means you have to write one... :wazup:

You can submit a letter to the editor electronically here: http://bozemandailychronicle.com/webmaster/index.php

or good old fashion snail mail here:

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle

PO Box 1190

Bozeman, MT 59771

Perhaps some of you are thinking "what do I care? I only ice climb in [insert favorite area here]... Hyalite sucks anyways..."

I would say consider the fact that if the travel plan does continue as approved then you will most likely be sharing your favorite ice climbing area(s) with all those displaced Hyalite ice climbers next year.

Just a thought.

5 minutes of your time... all I ask...

In the 12/24 Bozeman Chronicle:

Hyalite freeze out

Gallatin travel plan leaves ice climbers out in the cold

Story and Photography by BEN PIERCE of the Chronicle

When the Gallatin National Forest Travel Plan was released earlier this month, it detailed numerous changes in the way the public will be able to access and use land within Gallatin National Forest. The plan, which has been developed over the past several years by Creek trailhead, the jumping-off point for many of the ice climbs in Hyalite. The road has often been used by climbers into February and March depending on snow levels and road conditions.

After Dec. 31 a gate will restrict motorized use and the road will be maintained for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and hiking. That the Forest Service with comment from the public, greatly increases the amount of non-motorized areas within the forest.

One of the areas that will see elevated motorized-use restrictions is hyalite canyon which would mean a long haul with heavy gear for most ice climbers just to get to the trailhead. Many climbs are tucked farther up the canyon and the gate would render those climbs nearly impossible to reach.

The canyon has long been a backyard playground for Bozemanites and, in the winter, a vital location for the city's ice climbers.

"Hyalite is such a unique place in that there are a lot of frozen waterfalls and good access," Joe Josephson, author of the ice climbing guide "Winter Dance", said Wednesday. "There is no other place we can go to reach the range and number of climbs available in Hyalite."

The travel plan, which will be implemented next winter, could put a serious damper on ice-climbing opportunities in the canyon.

The plan calls for the plowing of Hyalite Canyon Road up to the Blackmore picnic area at the north end of Hyalite Reservoir until the end of the year. Traditionally, ice climbers have driven to the Hyalite inaccessible given short winter days.

"The gate is the big issue," Josephson said. "No access effectively kills the sport of ice climbing in this area."

The travel plan establishes snowmobile access to the Hyalite Creek trailhead via a route that departs from the Langohr/Moser Creek area and passes through the woods on the eastern side of the canyon. It is the only snowmobile access allowed in Hyalite Canyon and could be used as an alternative access once the road is closed.

However, "snowmobiling is effectively not an option because of the low number of climbers with snowmobiles," Josephson said.

Further compounding the problem for ice climbers is the possibility of insufficient funds to plow the road to Blackmore picnic area. The travel plan states the road will be plowed, but suggests a lack of longterm funding could result in plowing only to the Langohr/Moser Creek area, a significantly farther distance (eight miles) from the Hyalite Creek trailhead, essentially requiring snowmobile use to access climbs.

"There are a number of potential sources of funding (for plowing Hyalite Canyon Road)," said Bob Dennee, lands program manager for Gallatin National Forest. "One would be to use money from our annual funding from Congress, second would be to pursue funding from grants and third would be to acquire a portion of the funds from private user groups."

The options for ice climbers at this point are pretty slim.

The travel plan was open to public comment as it was being developed, but little other than slight modifications are now likely. Ice climbers can accept the plan as it is and ski or snowmobile to climbs, try to negotiate with the Forest Service for a more favorable plan, or officially appeal the travel plan, a process that requires legal action. Only individuals or organizations that submitted substantial input during the comment period are allowed to appeal.

Regardless of what happens next, the travel plan's impact is drawing criticism from many Bozeman ice climbers.

But it's not just locals who are anxious. Hyalite Canyon is widely recognized as a major ice climbing destination.

Rebecca Heath, forest supervisor for Gallatin National Forest, refers to Hyalite as a "world class ice-climbing opportunity" in the official record of decision regarding use in Hyalite Canyon. The area regularly draws climbers from all over the United States.

"There are literally people all over the West Coast, up in Vancouver, Canada, and down in California that drive out there," said Portland, Ore., ice climber John Frieh, who has already visited Hyalite three times this winter. "Their has been a real renaissance in ice climbing the last few years and I'd say Hyalite is easily one of the top three destination in the Lower 48."

Frieh said many West Coast ice climbers - who live in a maritime climate - rely on Hyalite's consistent ice to partake in the sport.

"It is a big concern for a lot of climbers out here in Oregon and Washington," Frieh said. "Depending on what they implement will determine whether or not I come out there anymore. It would be a huge loss if access is at all hindered."

Members of the ice climbing community met Thursday evening at Spire Climbing Center to gain a greater understand of what the travel plan means for the sport, and to discuss concerns and options for the future.

"We have met with the Forest Service and have talked about slight changes in the way they can administer the plan," Josephson said. "We have a great relationship with the Forest Service, but we need to keep working."

Appeals to the Gallatin National Forest Travel Plan must be made by Feb. 1.

"There is considerable interest in winter recreation in

Hyalite and we expected (a big response to the travel plan)," Dennee said. "It is popular for snowmobilers, skiers and climbers. Trying to get a balance between these groups has been a challenge. This is our plan and people are reacting to it."

"We haven't stopped listening."

Ben Pierce is at bpierce@dailychronicle.com

PLEASE write a letter to the editor.

Decreased access = less ice climbers = less revenue for the town of Bozeman... everybody loses.

12/27/06 Bozeman Chronicle:

Forest travel plan will cut off access to Hyalite ice

I've climbed ice all over the world, But Hyalite Canyon is truly something special. It has a tremendous variety of fantastic routes suitable for novices to experts, all with that special Montana style. I've visited Hyalite at least a half-dozen times over the last 15 years, as have many of my friends from the US, Canada and Europe. It's one of those "must visit" places in any climber's eyes. The Bozeman Ice Festivals are also world-renowned, and bring hundreds of climbers to Bozeman each winter.

Unfortunately I recently heard that the access plan will be changed dramatically, and that those changes will make accessing Hyalite ice climbs very difficult to impossible. Access to Hyalite has never been "easy," but without reasonable access I know few climbers will visit Hyalite. I absolutely support well-planned environmental conservation, but ice climbers are not a high-impact user group. We're in the canyon in winter when the ground is frozen up, plus there's not much damage an ice climber can reasonably do to frozen ice cubes that are going to melt in the spring anyhow.

If the new access plan is implemented I'm sure that the numbes of climbers visiting Bozeman will be sharply reduced. The enjoyment the locals and visitors receive will also be stopped, it's not just economics. Winter recreation is a big part of life for all of us. I hope the people of Bozeman will support continued reasonable access for Hyalite.

Will Gadd, Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Write a letter. All the cool kids are doing it :wazup:

12/27/06 Bozeman Chronicle:

Don't let travel plan shut ice climbers out of Hyalite

The recently released Gallatin National Forest Travel Plan may soon be spending our tax dollars to plow, groom and maintain the Hyalite Canyon access for cross country skiing, snow shoeing, hiking and "family oriented sports."

Historically, at no extra cost to taxpayers, all user groups have been free to access our public land in Hyalite Canyon. The new plan includes a gate that denies direct access to the road by vehicles and snowmobiles.

Ice climbers travel to Bozeman from across the United States and Canada to climb in Hyalite Canyon. Reasonable access to the trailhead is essential. One gate will, in effect, eliminate an entire sport as well as negatively impacting mountain guides and outdoor retailers in Bozeman. The Forest Service's motto is: "Caring for the Land and Serving the People." They appear to be caring for and serving only select groups. Let's keep the road open as it is now, for all of us.

Barbara Escher Bozeman

Have you written your letter yet? :wazup:

The current issues associated with Hyalite Canyon are confusing at best. Here is a brief synopsis:

- Hyalite Canyon is *thee* most visited winter recreation area in the state of Montana. More outdoor users (slednecks, hunters, xcountry skiers, hikers, ice climbers, etc etc) drive this road in the winter more than anywhere else in Montana. Basically the entire winter recreation community has a stake in this.

- Hyalite climbing area can be broken into 2 areas: Hyalite Canyon (the main canyon) and East Hyalite Canyon (Flanders, Palisade, etc etc)... basically 2 separate canyons/drainages.

- To access either of these canyons/drainages one must drive Hyalite Canyon Road which is just south of the town of Bozeman.

- Hyalite Canyon road is paved until the Hyalite dam/reservoir and gravel beyond that.

- The distances along Hyalite Canyon road are as follows:

2.1 Lower Fishing Access

6.1 Langhor Picnic Area

10.0 Hyalite Reservoir & Blackmore Trail Parking Area

11.7 East Hyalite Canyon turnoff

12.7 Window Rock Cabin

13.9 Main Hyalite Parking Lot

Before the travel plan the road was never plowed. People would drive the road until the snow became too deep. This could be as early as December or as late March... it all depended on the amount of snow that fell that year.

The current FS plan calls for plowing to the dam *assuming* they find funding (which we all know they won't)... if they don't find the funding they will only plow to Langhor Picnic Area (see distances above).

Any type of plowing would help ice climbers/everyone ***however*** the FS plans on gating the road where they stop plowing.

What does that mean? Regardless of the amount of snow on the other side of the gate the gate will be locked requiring all ice climbers to ski to the Main Hyalite Parking Lot/trailhead.

Why does a gate matter?

Ice climbing in Hyalite generally requires a 1/2 hour to 2 hour hike/approach from the Main Hyalite Parking Lot/trailhead to the climb adding so an additional ski/snowshoe on top of that (what the gate would add) will effectively kill ice climbing in Hyalite canyon as all one's time would be spent hiking/skiing instead of climbing.

Or in FS terms decrease/limit access for ice climbers.

What would I like to see? In a perfect world they would plow all the way to the Main Hyalite Parking Lot/trailhead but this isn't going to happen. So what I (and I would guess most would agree) think a great compromise would be is they plow as far as they can afford and where ever that may be don't gate it so we can continue driving as far as we can until snow depth prevents this.

Where do things stand?

Currently the plan has been approved :cry: and will go into effect Dec 31st 2007.

We have roughly 3 months to appeal the plan... something the Southwest Montana Climbers Coalition is looking into. I am working with the Access Fund to see if we can get an additional help.

In the mean time making the town of Bozeman aware that they will see a loss of revenue due to the FS plan driving ice climbers away would be wise and why I am bugging you all to write a letter.

Make sense? I hope you all take 5 minutes out of spray time and fire something off...

Look at Will Gadd's letter... if you ice climb or plan to at some point in your climbing career you will likely visit Hyalite... unless the travel plan proceeds as currently defined.

5 minutes... all I ask... :wave:

Letter out, thanks for helping me to write it:-) and for stirring the pot John.

said:

To the editor:

Sadly, once again the Federal government had taken it upon themselves to cram their opinion and changes onto a small community.

I'm specifically referring to the recent decision, yet to take effect, on installing a gate on Hyalite Canyon road in the winter. There has been no need for a gate in the last 200 years, but for some reason they feel they need one now.

Some facts:

- Hyalite Canyon is one of the most visited winter recreation area in the state of Montana. More outdoor users (sled necks, hunters, xcountry skiers, hikers, ice climbers, etc etc) drive this road in the winter more than anywhere else in Montana. Basically the entire winter recreation community has a stake in this.

- Hyalite climbing area can be broken into 2 areas: Hyalite Canyon (the main canyon) and East Hyalite Canyon (Flanders, Palisade, etc etc)... basically 2 separate canyons/drainages.

- To access either of these canyons/drainages one must drive Hyalite Canyon Road which is just south of the town of Bozeman.

- Hyalite Canyon road is paved until the Hyalite dam/reservoir and gravel beyond that.

- The distances along Hyalite Canyon road are as follows:

2.1 Lower Fishing Access

6.1 Langhor Picnic Area

10.0 Hyalite Reservoir & Blackmore Trail Parking Area

11.7 East Hyalite Canyon turnoff

12.7 Window Rock Cabin

13.9 Main Hyalite Parking Lot

Before the travel plan the road was never plowed. People would drive the road until the snow became too deep. This could be as early as December or as late March... it all depended on the amount of snow that fell that year.

The current FS plan calls for plowing to the dam *assuming* they find funding (which we all know they won't)... if they don't find the funding they will only plow to Langhor Picnic Area (see distances above).

Any type of plowing would help ice climbers and everyone: however the FS plans on gating the road where they stop plowing.

What does that mean? Regardless of the amount of snow on the other side of the gate the gate will be locked requiring all ice climbers to ski to the Main Hyalite Parking Lot/trailhead.

Why does a gate matter?

Ice climbing in Hyalite generally requires a 1/2 hour to 2 hour hike/approach from the Main Hyalite Parking Lot/trailhead to the climb adding so an additional ski/snowshoe on top of that (what the gate would add) will effectively kill ice climbing in Hyalite canyon as all one's time would be spent hiking/skiing instead of climbing.

Do not plan on climbers traveling from the various other western states, spending their money on lodging, food, gas and other misc. sundries.

Hyalite is one of the best ice climbing destinations in North America... it would be a shame both for climbers and for the town of Bozeman for climbers to lose access.

Please raise your voices and join those who oppose what appears to be one more bonehead move by the feds which will only cause pain to the users of the canyon, and financial pain to the city of Bozeman.

Regards:

Bill Coe

I sent mine!

To the Editor,

I just returned from a four-day trip to Bozeman, more specifically, to Hyalite Canyon. This is the second time this year that I drove 12 hours each way from Portland, Oregon because the ice climbing in Hyalite is that good. While in Bozeman, my partner and I spent money on a hotel, eating out, and buying supplies. I understand that next year, if the Forest Service's current plan goes into effect, the road will be gated at the dam and I will only be able to access Hyalite by skiing or snowmobiling in. This essentially shuts me out of Hyalite, as I don't own a sled and it's too far to ski AND climb. I hope that the people of Bozeman recognize the economic impact that this closure could have on your town, since climbers such as myself will have to go elsewhere. It would be a tragedy for ice climbers to lose this gem of an area--one of the best in the country. It would also be unfortunate to see Bozeman business owners hurt by this misguided attempt at management by the Forest Service. Please join me in requesting a revision of their current plan.

Sincerely,

Moira Armen

Thanks, John, for posting this on Cascade Climbers . com

... and thanks, everybody for writing letters to the editor of the Bozeman Chronicle. I thought the article there obn 12/24 summarized the stuation pretty accurately.

One thing I would add is that Forest Service led us (climbers) to believe that the final plan would include provisions for the "world-class ice climbing in Hyalite Canyon" ( Becki Heaths' words). This seemed apparent in Alternative 7 ( the alternative prefered by the Gallatin National Forest), and in statements made by the FS after the "benchmark" and "inital" comment periods. Frankly, we were surprised by the final decision.

I still do am not certain whether the FS

1) Realized how this would screw climbers, but thought "ooooh ouch, we have to make concessions to many user groups, but this is one concession that we should make to XC-skiers"

or

2) "Oh, access, via snowmobile, from a trailhead 10 miles downcanyon is good- the ice climbers will be grateful"

-- to be honest, a little of both, I think.

.. but, in reality , more of the first than the second. There will be little access given the curently proposed plan, which involves a long hike of 5 mi. after Jan 1 of each year. ( not this year , thank god)

Some parts of this plan are, at least, not written in stone. The date to gate at Blackmore Parking Lot is one. Keep those letter coming. Likewise, become a member of the SMCC:

http://www.firstascentpress.com/buy-now.php?item_id=4

Keep those letter coming.

Well said.

1/1/07 Bozeman Chronicle:

Keep ice accessible

I urge the Gallatin National Forest to revise the Travel Plan which is to be implemented next winter and which will greatly reduce winter access to the Hyalite Canyon Road.

I have driven out to Bozeman from the Portland, Ore., area twice this season already to climb ice in Hyalite Canyon. We stay in a Bozeman motel, we eat at Bozeman restaurants and shop at Bozeman stores. Hyalite Canyon is definitely one of the premier and most consistent ice climbing destinations in North America. With the limited access that would be available under the new Forest Service plan, climbers from our area and elsewhere on the West Coast will undoubtedly head to other destinations for their ice climbing. The impact on the local Bozeman area ice climbers would be devastating.

Implementing the Travel Plan as reads now would mean a loss of visitors and visitor dollars to Bozeman, and would mean the loss of a tremendous recreational destination to ice climbers everywhere.

Donn Venema

La Center, Wash.

Great way to start a new year :tup:

Thanks to all who have written letters :tup:

Please take the time to complete the survey.

Bonus karma points redeemable for WI6 and/or double digit M routes if you send the link to your friend. :)

Hello Concerned Ice Climbers,

Recently adopted Travel Plans by the Gallatin National Forest severely threatens reasonable access to the world-class ice climbing found in Hyalite Canyon near Bozeman, MT.

Montana State University, and the South west Montana Climbers Coalition have developed a quick survey on ice climbing and will be critical in our efforts to document Hyalite's unique status of one of the world's premier venues.

The survey is located at: www.hyalitecanyon.com

We encourage you all to take a few moments of your time to complete the simple survey. No sign up or registration is required and your responses are protected by secure encryption.

We can not stress enough just how important it is for us to get as many participants as possible for this survey. Please spread the word to all your friends and partners interesting in ice climbing, even if they have not yet visited Hyalite.

The data will provide extremely useful, if not necessary, information to present our situation to the Forest Service regarding the adopted Gallatin National Forest Travel Plan. If you are interested in reading more about this issue and the ice climbing communities reaction to this recent development, please visit www.montanaice.com/forums/index.php and go to the Hyalite Canyon Ice Conditions page.

Thank you in advance for your time, interest and support.

Again, the link for the survey is:

www.hyalitecanyon.com

Regards,

Joe Josephson

Director, South west Montana Climbers Coalition