Climber's Banned from Climbing

texplorer

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have caught the new O'Reilley show "Extra Spin".

In it, O'Reilley advocates not having "Americans of African descent" people in the country as they cost us so much. He then proceeds to detail how New Orleans - which was made up predominantly of "Americans of African descent" people, cost us so much money in the recent Katrina debacle, which, O'Reilley claims, cost the rest of us $200 Billion dollars.

Hard to argue with a guy who's head is so far up his ass that his voice is muffled, better to just shut down everything.

Next on the "Extra Spin" hit list: Hiking, recreational driving, vacations, Snowmobiling, walking around town without a purpose, browsing bookstores and Mt Biking.

After all, if they can keep the public off of public property, ie that which WE the users already OWN, if they can keep us off what is ours by ownership: then they are better able to control us.

Of course, there would have to be a massive new gov't department to head this up to determine what should be closed to hikers and climbers and when, then to conduct security and enforcement on the Mt's, and that won't be cheap either.

Hey, it's only money eh?

Close climbing when the weather is bad. Who decides the definition of bad weather? Ask a Norwegian and they will tell you “ there’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing”! Fuck off bill!

And for all of the bitches who agreed in the slightest bit with Billy O’Reilly, you can “Deri-lick my balls”!

see you get over 1000 and you start to get cool ;)

Well, I was cool on my first post. But thanks anyway.

Seriously, Jason: down boy. You won't win any points with anybody by calling those who don't understand your obsession with climbing a couch potato or right wing freak.

As I said on the last page: many people do not understand why someone would take the risk involved in such a silly game as mountain climbing. And this includes a lot of perfectly cool people, including atheletes, liberals, or whoever else it is that you respect.

You continue to suggest that "we are better than everybody else." You'll build more common ground if you look at how what we do is really not so unique after all. For example, some of those right wingers or couch potatos you so abhor enjoy activities such as boating or hunting, hobbies that are perceived as more "mainstream" but which generate significant searches and rescues and lead to occasional accidents or deaths.

Well do you think it would be a good thing to better educate the general public about climbing? I don't think it will ever become "mainstream", at least I hope not. I rather like the idea of climbing as a fringe activity. Edited by catbirdseat

I think Mattp makes some good points. He must have a very gray beard.

I've been involved with other non-traditional high risk sports and the tragic events that occur from time to time. You have to understand this cycle of interest. There is a lot of ignorance that comes to the event but it is your chance as the experts or the locals with knowledge of the scene to educate and win over many folks. It's a chance for free positive advertising of your beloved sport, and thus increase the body politic who will urge restraint when such issues as 'pay for rescue' loom.

As a side note, paying for rescue is now growing across the US in other sports such as skiing/snowboarding. It may be a coming reality to all events the ambulance can't drive to.

I personally dont think anyone would give a shit if this was three locals from the pacific Northwest. It happens to be that these are guys from Texass and NYC so everybody is shitting themselves. There is a just as tragic a story unfolding in China right with two very skilled mountaineers, but noone seems to give a shit. I guess they cant get the carnage cameras over there.

Seriously, Jason: down boy. You won't win any points with anybody by calling those who don't understand your obsession with climbing a couch potato or right wing freak.

As I said on the last page: many people do not understand why someone would take the risk involved in such a silly game as mountain climbing. And this includes a lot of perfectly cool people, including atheletes, liberals, or whoever else it is that you respect.

You continue to suggest that "we are better than everybody else." You'll build more common ground if you look at how what we do is really not so unique after all. For example, some of those right wingers or couch potatos you so abhor enjoy activities such as boating or hunting, hobbies that are perceived as more "mainstream" but which generate significant searches and rescues and lead to occasional accidents or deaths.

Intellectually, I know this...

I know that we're not better than anyone else. I just get pissy when we're being knocked. I feel like some of these talk shows and forums are trying to corner us. And it pisses me off to no end that bad things are being said about these guys on Mount Hood. And as we all know -- especially around here -- it's easier to call names than to defend.

You're totally right Matt, there is no way that we're going to win any battles with anger or emotion. Debate and defense is about logical and well defined arguements like those you suggest. I'll keep my pissyness myself...

Jason

It's not just climbing that the media gets 'wrong'. They get it 'wrong' everyday on other events b/c they are rushing to meet publishing deadlines. What happens is that when the media comes to 'your town' where you are the expert, you suddenly realize how inaccurate and misleading they are. I've been through it in other situations and I don't take it personally anymore. The trick is to get some good representation to speak/deal with them. That can be critical to keeping a fair public image of your sport.

I think the Hood Families did a great job in raising the public awarenes on this story, not intentionally mind you, but just by their participation and presence. I would want Frank James as my brother if I ever needed a family spokesman, and I say that sincerely with all due respect.

I don't recall that the Kim rescue got the same level of attention or organization.

If they started to put up "weather condition" bans it would just be one more thing to piss on as you passed it on the way up the hill. Same goes for many of the permits, parking passes and trail head checks.

We all take a different perspective on them. Non-climbers such as O'Reilly are too stupid to even worry about. He has no clue on how things work and has over simplified a solution he and the ignorant masses think would work.

I'm sure the media would love to cover a guy and a girl on mt hood, but china is just too far away...no 'news conferences' with a woodsy sheriff and live pictures of a mountain background.

I'm sure that the geographic distribution and the religious nature of at least one of the guys was a great contribution to the media circus. Somehow, I suspect if it was three gay climbers it wouldn't have gotten nearly as much coverage, although there probably would have been more bad taste jokes...

I was thinking of making a super utility belt with special pockets for your MRE, your P38 can opener, your LED light and your trioxane tabs. And your PLIRB and your MLU...Everybody wants one, right?

I was thinking of making a super utility belt with special pockets for your MRE, your P38 can opener, your LED light and your trioxane tabs. And your PLIRB and your MLU...Everybody wants one, right?

That will look good as I batman up the rope. Let me know when they're in stock.

I personally dont think anyone would give a shit if this was three locals from the pacific Northwest. It happens to be that these are guys from Texass and NYC so everybody is shitting themselves. There is a just as tragic a story unfolding in China right with two very skilled mountaineers, but noone seems to give a shit. I guess they cant get the carnage cameras over there.

Ding! Ding! My new executive producer's philosphy: "If we don't have video, we don't run it." Oh and also more useless celebrity news!!

I'm sorry, has anybody seen my pride laying around here someplace? :nurd:

Ding! Ding! My new executive producer's philosphy: "If we don't have video, we don't run it." Oh and also more useless celebrity news!!

I'm sorry, has anybody seen my pride laying around here someplace? :nurd:

Awsome! Looks like you are in the same spot I am. I just sent this mail out a few minutes ago. I think you know where I am comming from...

>I am back working in the confines of stupidity. All of our test

>machines are in India except one. I set that one up for testing

>yesterday and overnight somone in inda connected to it and put a new

>operating system on it. I can not use any of the machines in india

>because everyone has gone home and they fucked up when trying to add

>my permissions to them. They are so fucking slow that it take 3

>seconds to click a simple fucking button. I could spend the next

>4.5 fucking hours resetting up the machine I tried to set up

>yesterday so I can do some testing on a Japanese vista OS that I

>don’t fucking understand because no one in their right mind would

>put vista on a machine if they were not specifically testing to make

>sure it worked, but in doing so they removed my permissions to the

>machine. On a brighter note cascade climbers is quite entertaining

>this morning. I really have no idea how *edited* continues to make

>money. Oh I know they outsource absolutly fucking everything and

>are able to pay for lots of Indian child labor to wait several

>seconds for a pressed button to acctually respond, and 4 seconds for

>the fucking mouse pointer to get from one side of the desktop to the

>other.

that would be cool if bill o'reilly relpaced minx as a moderator.

Then you'd have NWHikers.com

If they ban climbing, what's next? A ban on sticking your dick in a toaster oven?

Whatever. Hiking is way to dangerous with all those gun crazed nuts running around the forest, or have you forgotten already about that one.