New Year's Eve camping in Commonwealth Basin

Beck

Plans are set for ski camping in Commonwealth Basin over the New Year's eve weekend, with a little festivities on Sunday night to ring in the New Year.

Anyone is welcome to come on up. You know the place. Party's in the head of the basin, setting up well clear of the avalanche runouts at the base of Snoqualmie, but pretty close thereabouts. Look for signs.

Plans are for shredding during the day, general feats of derring do, and some nightime skiing, particularily if the stability and conditions are good.

Come on out Saturday or Sunday, BYOBeacon, festivities and a bonfire on Sunday night, look for the party nestled in the big trees and the slopes near the base of Snoq in Commonwealth Basin.

Edited by Beck

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I know about the area. Parking along the road to Alpintal will get your car towed. We've always parked on the south side of the highway at Summit West. To get to the camp spot you will need to walk under the highway and head up along the south side of Comonwelth Creek amd cross it or walk the road till you get to a rope tow ski area and head up there. Can someone post a map? I've never had a problem going through the ski area, however, I think it's on private land. Don't worry one look at a map and you wont get lost. Count me in unless it rains.

The best way to get there and not piss off the assholes at the ski lodge (who think they own the pass and the road to Alpental), is to just follow the snowshoe trail @ the PCT trail head up into commonwealth basin to the east of the creek. Be sure you take the first trail that looks like a logging road (it will be on to the north). It will get steep after 1/4 a mile and be just a steep trail. It then flattens out and enters the woods until it meets up with the creek. Follow the creek side on the east (up and down) for about 2/3 a mile. You will then go up drainage to a flat area and a log crossing. In most years this is the only easy crossing. From there head NW and cross another small creek and follow it north on the west side of the creek until you find the party.

Its also a good approach to Red Mt.