• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know jerry cooke very personally...

read:

He had no kids, but James..

I feel for his children that will grow up without a father.

His reckless behaviour was unjustified and selfish for a father of young children.

He was/is a friend and co-worker for the past 8 years

we survived the collapse of WTC

RESPECT!

As a responsible father, I put dangerous activities on hold - regardless of whatever personal loss I felt for them.

A father's responsibility outweighs the need to climb mountains and skydive that I miss dearly.

I just love my children more.

deal f'ers\

by the way... no one called Jerry Cooke "NIKKO" but these F'ers

With this punk calling everyone he disagrees with F'ers, can't someone yank the jerkoff's posts?

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with speculating about what this or that set of tracks may mean, or asking “dumb” questions about how one uses an ice axe to self arrest or whatever. I don’t think this is disrespectful of the climbers involved, their families, the rescue teams, or anybody else.

In my view, what IS disrespectful is to come into a discussion like this with inside jokes, criticism of what someone thinks this website or the activity of mountain climbing stand for, to argue that the climbers don’t deserve a rescue effort, or to needlessly insult any of the various parties involved. And, I think, it is equally disrespectful to come into this discussion and attack someone for trying to make some sense out of all of this. We’ll all disagree where to draw these lines, I’m sure.

I believe the value in this thread has been in the fact that it has at various points included friends and family of the climbers, climbers and others who knew them, rescue folks, people very familiar with Mt. Hood, and all kinds of views/ideas/ and prayers about these events. If you don't want to converse with this wide variety of participants, and if you want to argue about some tangential point, please start another discussion.

The moderators here are all volunteers, and we really don't have time to closely monitor these discussions. We've done what we can to keep it somewhat on track, but the rest is up to you.

"needlessly insult any of the various parties involved"

I would say from this post, burp's comments don't fit the thread. He deserves the boot.

At this point the real tragedy is the lack of resources to adequately moderate this site - the smartest thing instead would have been to just lock down membership at the first sign of any such circus and provide the SAR team a read-only thread to post to. The second best thing would be to make it impossible to post for the first two weeks of membership except through submitals to a moderated email queue.

Instead, a perfectly dysfunctional community has been completely hijacked by the suddenly interested. Given the shortage of resources to do a herculean job just keeping this place going I've just kicked in a second $25 donation to this site. You can do the same by going to the FAQ page and clicking on the lower lefthand link that says 'PayPal - Donate'. So suck it up folks and contribute, particularly all you new posing, righteous, and / or condescending sprayers with a post count under 60 who are making such a hash of this site...

Tsk, Tsk Muffy. Shouldn't be giving beta on something you've nver done! ;) (Read giving beta on routes on Hood)

The route I think you were referring to on Hood that TG and Tex attempted was Yocum Ridge on the SW side of the mountain, and probably the toughest/risky route on Hood, in the conditions they reported!

point taken and you are correct. i should not give betta about things and places and people ;) i have not done. however i was not specific and i am correct that the name of the easy climb is the hogsback??

yeppers Yocum sounds right. that was one of the best TR's i have read to date!

bygones :)

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

At this point the real tragedy is the lack of resources to adequately moderate this site - the smartest thing instead would have been to just lock down membership at the first sign of any such circus and provide the SAR team a read-only thread to post to. The second best thing would be to make it impossible to post for the first two weeks of membership except through submitals to a moderated email queue.

Instead, a perfectly dysfunctional community has been completely hijacked by the suddenly interested. Given the shortage of resources to do a herculean job just keeping this place going I've just kicked in a second $25 donation to this site. You can do the same by going to the FAQ page and clicking on the lower lefthand link that says 'PayPal - Donate'. So suck it up folks and contribute, particularly all you new posing, righteous, and / or condescending sprayers with a post count under 60 who are making such a hash of this site...

ohhh good point. anyone who has joined in the past few days would do good to kick down. It is time for my annual donation as well.

i gotta say it again.

*rescue people you totally rule

*moderators have the hardest job on cc.com

*luv to jon and timm@y as always.

as with all difficult times, this too shall pass. each of us will take our own lessons from our interactions here. what matters is that when i get up tomorrow i am taking my boys hiking. because i want my boys to know that life is more than a 9 to 5 job and a house on the hill. i read a quote recently that went something like this:

"life is not made up of the breaths that we take, it is made up of the moments that take our breath away"

the things that we say here will fade into obscurity. there have been many terrible accidents in the 5 (?) or so years i have been posting here. I have sat at my computer and cried my eyes out while i talked with many of these people as their friends and in one case hero passed away(erden (is that how you spell it...) i am thinking of you). we all tried to speculate and figure out why. we read the accident reports we have shared and we are sharing now. THIS is not outside of our lives this is a part of our lives. and if you are new here... look it's part of yours too. this board is run by volunteers and owned by people who work normal jobs. they do this because the had a vision. that people could have a place where we could come and share information about what we are passionate about. good bad or ugly, we are sharing.

I've been thinking about these guys a lot lately. I wanted them to walk off that mountain so bad. I dreamed about them even. This whole thing has bummed me out so much. I was wanting a happy outcome more than anything.

We lost three climbing brothers. It may seem an odd gesture, but I'm raising my glass to these guys and wishing everyone around them the very best. Don't let their deaths be for nothing.

I've been thinking about these guys a lot lately. I wanted them to walk off that mountain so bad. I dreamed about them even. This whole thing has bummed me out so much. I was wanting a happy outcome more than anything.

We lost three climbing brothers. It may seem an odd gesture, but I'm raising my glass to these guys and wishing everyone around them the very best. Don't let their deaths be for nothing.

I am right there with ya. I really wanted to see them walk off too. it is not an odd gesture at all. :brew: to them and to you too hun

*Big Hugs*

i wanted to let you all know i found the Yocum ridge TR i was talking about. it isn't hard to find. there are really good pictures of what it looks like when you are climbing and a well written trip report about an a climb. for those of you who don't know much about climbing but are interested you can go to the trip reports link. type in yocum ridge. the climb was in Feb of '04 and the author is Texplorer.

and yes i am his #2 fan.

"Climb" to your bank and pay your mortgage...

"the climb" ...

please... enough

climb out of your bed and get to work

pathos...

Hey brrp - I hope you're still logging in because I want you to read this. It sounds like you didn't really know Jerry Cooke very well, because the BS you are spouting on this board is completely disrespectful to your purported friend and his climbing partners. Jerry traveled across the country to climb Mt. Hood in December because getting out of bed and going to work every day to pay the mortgage was not all he wanted to do with his life. Some people are born with a love of wild places and are driven to explore them. Other people are happy spending their weekends driving their Toyota Emasculator mini-vans to Costco for more crap they don't really need. STOP passing judgment on this board about the decisions and character of these men and climbers in general. You have your lifestyle, we have ours. Tell you what. The next time some fat-ass Brooklyn lawyer has a heart attack at his desk on a Saturday afternoon I promise that nobody from cc.com will post anything on brooklynlawyers.com questioning the choices he made.

After reading ALL of the posts in this thread I have only this to add:

Every thinking human being has to make decisions every day, every decision has a consequence, and the individual making the decisions should accept the resulting consequences of his decisions. This applies to all decisions--the decision to climb or not, the decision to help rescue or not, the decision to read the posts here or not. If you don't want to climb--don't. If you don't want to help rescue--don't. If you don't want to read the posts here--don't. The only evil that can be done to an individual is to initiate force against him--to force him to do something against his will--like paying taxes. No person has the right to initiate force against another person, no matter how good the cause is supposed to be.

This principle is this country's founding principle--it is what made this country great. Too bad it has been lost.

I know jerry cooke very personally...

read:

He had no kids, but James..

I feel for his children that will grow up without a father.

His reckless behaviour was unjustified and selfish for a father of young children.

He was/is a friend and co-worker for the past 8 years

we survived the collapse of WTC

RESPECT!

As a responsible father, I put dangerous activities on hold - regardless of whatever personal loss I felt for them.

A father's responsibility outweighs the need to climb mountains and skydive that I miss dearly.

I just love my children more.

deal f'ers\

by the way... no one called Jerry Cooke "NIKKO" but these F'ers

With all due respect, it sound to me like Kelly was very responsible. If all had gone as planned, they would have been down from that mountain before the weather got bad. It was an injury that held them up, unfortunately, until the weather got too bad for them to get down safely. They had planned extensively for this trip, had left notes about the route they planned to take, had traveled lightly but were well equipped so they could get up and down the mountain quickly. But unforeseen things prevented that from happening, things they didn't anticipate. They were all experienced climbers; they knew what they were doing. Any one of us could be caught in an unforeseen situation that would take us from our children when we walk out the door each day. There are parents who in their line of work risk their lives every day. It doesn't mean they don't love their kids. I don't think this is the time to second guess the climbers. They found themselves in an unfortunate circumstance even though they had planned carefully.

No sleeping bag and no warm insulated jacket? Is this unusual in light of a light and fast climb? They knew they were going to stay overnight at least one night...

This explains the quick onset of hypothermia. Perhaps he lost his pack in the accident?

Can anyone confirm whether or not kelly was discovered with his pack?

Everything they mentioned finding on kelly are items he would have had on him (rather than in his pack) such as a ring, camera, phone...

If Brian and Jerry left him to find help, as kelly suggested, wouldn't they have left him with something to keep him warm? Its not like they would expect to use theirs if they expected to hurry and reach the base for help...my point being that maybe he did lose his pack on the climb to the summit, the guys set up for the night and while trying to set up for the descend (below cave 1) (while an incapacitated Kelly was holed up in cave 2), they had another accident or were merely blown off by winds and never came back (explaining why they never left him with their bags and never made any 911 calls themselves), so kelly assumed they had made their descend for help because they never came back. Losing his pack would also explain having his 2 axes, which I assume were in his hands during the climb and subsequent accident (and loss of pack during a fall). I'm thinking of a fall into crevass much like the fall jerry's partner on Rainier had...where he nearly lost his pack...

Can anyone confirm whether or not kelly was discovered with his pack?

This was in the Dallas News report about the phone call James made to his family:

"He learned his dad was dug into a cave on the northern face of Mount Hood near the summit. Half an orange remained in his food supply, he was lying on his backpack to stay off the snow, and he was weak, cold and wet."

See http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/121606dnmetclimbers.11dd082b.html

Hey guys,

I just happened to notice that my site "The Adventurist" is getting alot of hits from cascadeclimbers.com--so I thought I would check out why. It seems someone has posted an email that I published yesterday from "Patti" about seeing a reflection on the South Side of Mt. Hood. Upon hearing this information, I contacted the Hood River County Sheriff's Department. The Sheriff's Department exclaimed that they would definately be looking into it.

Here is an update: I haven't even published this myself, so you guys are hearing it first.

The Hood River Valley County Search and Rescue has called off a search of Mt. Hood on the South Side. (this being from lastnight)

Nothing was found to correspond with the tip that my site had recieved. A major ground search yesterday turned up nothing, and was not scheduled to take place again today.

Here are my thoughts: I am very positive that the Hood River County Search and Rescue teams have covered about every inch they can get to on foot and by air. It is also noted that Searches have located no signs of someone leaving the mountain since the search was began 10 days ago. It is still presumed that Brian and Jerry are both on the Mountain someplace. Mt. Hood is a very big place, but ALOT of people are involved in this effort.

The members of Cascadeclimbers.com have taught myself and alot of other people who perhaps do not know that much about mountain climbing and Mt. Hood in general an aweful lot. I thank all of you.

The speculation and "What if's" will continue until these climbers are found. It is a request I make though, that these issues be carried out in a respectful and well demeanered manner from all involved. The family's of Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, Brian Hall, and Kelly James are reading these sites. I HAVE been contacted by family members in relation to this issue. Please be respectful and courteous. TO be honest, it really does not matter what happened on Mt. Hood. What matters is that all of the climbers are brought home.

Once again, thank-you for all of your insight and thoughts on the Mt. Hood rescue. You have been invaluable to ALOT of people.

You have my respect.

And to the families, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and associates of Brian Hall, Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, and Kelly James: We are humbled by this incident. Your families are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

J. Alan Hendricks

Editor, The Adventurist

http://thehendricksreport.wordpress.com

Thank you for the infommercial about your site and riveting story about a false lead.

Can one lay on one's backpack? Maybe they mistook "bivy sack" for backpack, which very well could have been one of the other guys, whose sleeping pad was found in the other cave. The connection on the phone was choppy. God, I wish that were recorded...where's government tapping when you need it?

Can one lay on one's backpack? Maybe they mistook "bivy sack" for backpack, which very well could have been one of the other guys, whose sleeping pad was found in the other cave. The connection on the phone was choppy. God, I wish that were recorded...where's government tapping when you need it?

Jesus, give it a rest.

A wise person once told me: "Only a simple minded person tells another person to shut up, for their only concerns are their own personal thoghts, considerations, interests and points of view...such people should be quarantined to their own deserted island where they can live out their days in bliss."