MT Hood Continued

fern

These climbers were truely living.

i do not want to sound crass. i have nothing but sympathy for the climbers and their loved ones.

but dude, have you read the news. they are not alive.

the news that i just watched had part of a news conference with one of the climbers family members. he said that the James Kelly said that he always felt closest to god when he was climbing. perhaps the comment is that these men were doing what they love(d) to do. some people go to church to pray and some of us climb or hike something to have a conversation with god. this is absolutely a tragedy, but let us not forget that climbers (all of us) CHOSE to climb.

Why don't you spank Muffy?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Sheriff is hesitant to call an end to a rescue without meeting with all the teams. He's going to do that now. It sounded to me that an avalanch team MAY get on the mountain in the area below the last known position if its safe. The safe part is still to be determined.

In my view, someone needs to convince him still if its worth the risk even though he has good weather. He seemslike an easy going, level headed guy, doing a great job, and I am glad I am not in his shoes.

"He seemslike an easy going, level headed guy, doing a great job, and I am glad I am not in his shoes."

Whole-heartedly agree, Dallas. While watching all of these conferences, It struck me how I'd want someone as well-spoken, calm and thorough as he's been if me or a loved one was in those climbers place. I admire him greatly.

Yes, from what I was able to tell on CNN, he stated that an avalanche team was being put together, and they would start "poking" in the snow where it was safe. And, unless new developments were established, there would be no more scheduled press conferences. The reporters went on to discuss that the Chinook and C130s (??) would not be utilized today. They have another kind of plane or helicopter (I didn't understand what they were exactly) but that they had two at their disposal to continue doing visual spots. It was very difficult to watch, as Angela Hall started speaking about the hopes for her brother to come home.

Wampler discussed that he was very concerned the two were packed very lightly, from the photos they retrieved off of Kelly's camera. He stated they were on a "fast ascent" approach, which would mean travelling light. He stated the photos seemed to indicate this theory.

Something I couldn't figure out. The quotes on the bottom of CNN were saying they found more supplies and more axes? Is that true? Or, was it just a bad quotation?

Would it amaze anyone that all of this has actually got me intigued about climbing Mt Hood (The safest route of course). I climbed Lassen which was really beautiful but not much of a challenge. Despite all that has happened Mt Hood seems like a very special place and those of you with it in your backyard are truly blessed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the climbers and all of the rescue teams.

I'm really amazed at how hesitant the sheriff is to call it a recovery...the pressure he must be under must be intense, as it's a delicate balance between hope and false hope.

If the media hasn't gone rabid yet, things would be even crazier if the sheriff called it a recovery. And some in media may confuse the issue and incorrectly state as fact that all three climbers had perished. There's even some situations where the sheriff might withhold information from the family temporarily or not disclose full operational details.

Something I couldn't figure out. The quotes on the bottom of CNN were saying they found more supplies and more axes? Is that true? Or, was it just a bad quotation?

The sherriff did mention finding 2 more axes, but he wouldn't confirm they belonged to Brian and Nikko. He said he wouldn't answer the question, but it's not to tough to add 2 and 2 and 3.5.

hoodnfanchor.jpg

(edited picture from Layton)

The oregonian (oregonlive.com) pdf diagram is not correct. The belay "cave" where the tools were found along with the anchor are indicated by the red dot.

On a separate note, the Hood River County Sheriff has been doing a phenominal job and the SAR Deputy has been absolutely great to work with. They are doing everything in their power and taken great care of the searchers involved.

The gullies are a little harder to see. The left gully is right below the red dot and filled with snow. It's like a valley only standing up on its end. The right gully is just to the right of the left gully and parallel to it. Both run straight up the mountain.

Cooper Spur is the broad snowy ridge ascending up and right from the bottom left of the photos up through the rock band top the summit ridge. The "gullies" could be a couple of different places. If the Sheriff is referring to the North Face Gullies (the party's ascent route)they are the two prominent parallel snow gullies in the very center of the photo. There are also some gullies mentioned which cut through the Spider on the East Face--they are out of view to the left.

I don't know if it helps any, but in rewatching the footage of this morning's conference, he did not have a broken arm, but a dislocated shoulder.

Interesting..last night on CNN the sheriff described the injury as an "indentation", which was confusing. Anderson Cooper was pining for a more detailed description, but the consumate professional, the sherriff cooly refused to elaborate.

I was wondering how they knew so many specifics re a time line. No doubt this is their reference:

http://www.katu.com/news/4956501.html

"Photos taken by Kelly James raise concerns over ability to survive"

The photos would have a time/date stamp on them. At first, I thought perhaps they had left a note with James, but it was the pix, no doubt.

The video for that quote is on MSNBC, if it helps any. That video talked about the two planes that would be used for visual signs, and the start of avalanche searching, which would involve possible ideas of the two men being in a crag and stuck there, covered up by snow, waiting for help; or in a snow cave buried, or the less favorable outcomes as well.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16279147/

I would like to learn more about what equipment was found yesterday, if anyone knows actual facts. I didn't see that on TV (just on the quotes) but can't find anything about it from a reputable news source online.

I edited to say that the strength of Wampler in the conferences is greatly impressing. I would only hope that someday, if I were lost, the person in charge of my SAR would be as level headed, and mellow and professional as he is.

Edited by KitCatherine

I would like to learn more about what equipment was found yesterday. I didn't see that on TV (just on the quotes) but can't find anything about it from a reputable news source online.

Climbing gear belonging to the two missing climbers — Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, 36, of New York City and Brian Hall, 37, of Dallas — was found in a few spots near the peak Monday. Wampler said Monday the pick axes, glove and rope were not the kind of gear he would leave behind on purpose and indicated the equipment had fallen by accident.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-12-19-climbers-mounthood_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

Edited to add:

"Wampler said climbing equipment found on the mountain - including two slings and two aluminum anchors driven into the snow - led rescuers to believe that James' companions, Brian Hall and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, had tried to secure themselves to the steep slope. That was the last sign of the two."

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4860346

Edited by Christy

I've treated many dislocated shoulders. The pain can be excruetiating and the PT can only move slowly and carefully. One could barely hike a moderate trail to safety, never mind climb or descend a steep slope. You also lose the use of both arms for balance as you usually use your good arm to cradle/protect the injured limb. If it happened before the summit, I think that Brian and Nikko would have to literally haul Kelly up that mountain.