Banks Conditions Update

Jens

There were plenty of people out there, and there was enough ice to climb or TR. When you go out to Banks during less-than-stellar conditions, just get more creative. Make sure you bring double 60's, and then you can always TR Zenith, the Cable, Trotsky's, Children of the Sun, Champagne (not in yesterday but re-forming) or any other routes that you figure out how to walk around to the top (these listed at least have easy walk-arounds), even when they arent in leadable shape.

I was wondering, this may sound stupid but, i didn't see how to top rope these climbs. Like the cable? Do you have to walk way around or rappel from the top? I just got back from my first trip to banks and it was great just to climb ice for the first time. I would like to top rope more climbs but don't know how to access them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering, this may sound stupid but, i didn't see how to top rope these climbs. Like the cable? Do you have to walk way around or rappel from the top? I just got back from my first trip to banks and it was great just to climb ice for the first time. I would like to top rope more climbs but don't know how to access them.

Most climbs can be approach via ledges from either the right or left, some farther than others. Children of the Sun, you can pratically park at the top of the climb and then TR from the telephone pole. Zenith is a bit more of an airy traverse in from the right, but nothing too technical. Everything in the Punchbowl can be approached in from the right via the walk off trail.

from today:

NEW Route?! jens....

Unfortunately , its still up for grabs. Burl Central

What stopped you? It looks sweet, especially once the first pitch forms fully. I bet that it goes down this weekend!

It might go down this weekend, then again it might not. Go try to lead it, you'll find out.

here are some pics of the usual suspects from monday(jan 1). considering the recent temps this may be a bit late but hey, iv'e seen them last through worse and they are better than last week. probably wishful thinking on my part. i'll try and add additional climbing pics later.

frenchman falls- ouch!

banks_shishi_044.jpg

emerald

banks_shishi_051.jpg

one of the beer bottle climbs- good shorter screw placements

banks_shishi_073.jpg

more banks ice

banks_shishi_057.jpg-

h2o2-a bit harder than it looks imo

banks_shishi_059.jpg

salt and pepper

banks_shishi_058.jpg

zenith- backed off the first pitch, tr'd p2(sunday), perfec ice as someone else recently noted

banks_shishi_049.jpg

cable- WAY better than last week

banks_shishi_060.jpg

clockwork orange p1- fun pitch in fat. p2 is trying to reform but for now its a shower

clockwork-orange.jpg

children of the sun

banks_shishi_061.jpg

devils punchbowl is in as are(were) the huge icicles above it-yikes!