Risk- why?

dmuja

In light of the present atmosphere being hyped by the media pertaining to the "undue risks" taken by climbers in the midst of a society of exceptionally nonactive, super opinionated, anti-critcally thinking lemming like consumer/"individuals", I thought id beat em too the punch and ask a few questions.

Lets start the ball rolling shall we?

So, why do "we" allow people to "climb" anyway?

Lets say that real slow shall we?

Why -- do -- "we" -- "allow" -- people -- to -- climb -- anyway?

And while we're at it, lets ask a few other questions as well ok..

Why do we allow people to take floaty thingys on water when they often drown?

Why do we allow people to bring kids onto giant hollow aluminum tubes that travel at 30,000 ft at 500mph?

why do we allow 16 year olds to control 4000 lbs of steel moving at 65mph?

Why do we build tall structures that may be prone to coming down in high winds or when the giant alluminium tubes come crashing into them?

Why do we allow strangers to interact with our kids supposedly "educating" them?

why do we allow people to participate in something called "sports" when so many are injured?

Why do we allow total strangers to prepare our food for us?

pleez continue...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic. Isn't it hilarious when someone asks you the perverbial "why". Why do you do it? What about it do you like? Is it the Summit that drives you? Isn't rappelling scary?

Please

Now I'm a HUGE football fan but when the commentator says things like that player has so much courage, or that is a "classy" player I just want to barf. The general public worships mainstream anything whether it's sports, religion or politics because they themselves have to do nothing. Just like the parents pushing their children to do well in sports to fullfil their own unfinished dreams.

When climbers are hanging by threads the world stops to watch with amazement (ever been to Yosemite after a climb when the tourists stop you for a picture or a trip report? How about the walk down from Camp Muir after a climb? It's like you're a rock star) The moment we get into any danger - just like life (at least at my work) the back stabbing, the second guessing armchair quarterbacks come out of the freaking closet.

An old saying - "If you haven't lost any friends climbing, you probably haven't been climbing very long" - is so so true. I've lost many many aquantices, good friends and very close commrades. I've been second guessed. I say to myself - "Self it just comes with the territory"

Even with a 3 year old daughter and another on the way. I'm not going to stop climbing, I'm trying to figure out how to climb more. :yoda:

I think that there is a perception that if risk taking is part of making a living or your everyday life that it is more "acceptable" than risk taking for recreation. I'd ask the question, why? I don't think that it is any more legitimate to take the risk of driving to the Gorge for a concert than it is to drive to Vantage to climb rocks.

Throughout life we must balance our desire for fun and fulfillment against the risk of disaster. Climbing inspires many of us, because it boils these decisions down to their pure essence, and in that process all of life's other trivial worries fall to the side. We can then appreciate the feelings of self-reliance, focus, and appreciation of the particular moment in which we find ourselves.

Alright, I'll bite! ;) I'm also going to gear this toward the many guests we have on the site recently. I imagine the question was put out there with the intentions to help those who dont climb understand why.

Why climb, knowing that I am risking a severe injury or death?

Well, first let me say, I do everything in my power to reduce those risks. I read about safety, I ask others who know more, I watch, I've taken classes, and I use my judgement/gut feeling. I would be willing to bet that 99% (ok, maybe 98% :/) of climbers do the same. Personality might dictate one's judgement from another. Overall, safety calls are typically made with the desire and intention to get home safely.

I would not consider myself a big risk taker, despite what the non-climber might think. I often wonder if I could climb bigger and better things if I wasnt so cautious and fearful. I've climbed in the mountains a few times. Though I like the challenge, various aspects of it are not something I aspire to do on a regular basis (unless there is a big wall of rock or ice on the distance :grin:). I prefer to stay closer to the road and return to my tent, hostel, car, or home every night or so. There are still plenty of risks in what is often considered 'cragging'. I actually consider myself a magnet for falling objects and have suffered numerous concusions from it. I've also had to deal with a broken leg due to a bouldering fall.

So, why?

Being outside is something I enjoy. It's often beautiful beyond belief. It's educating, and inspiring. The lessons I learn and can carry into my daily life are invaluable. In return, those lessons get passed on in my interactions with others and hopefully get passed on...and on...and on.

It brings me a feeling of calm and focus that I have not been able to experience before. Again, being able to bring that into my daily life is invaluable to my physical, emotional, and spiritual self.

It's given me confidence in myself as a person because of the self-sufficiency often required. It's forced me to reach out and ask for/receive help in order to be more proficient and safe (not something that has always been easy for me to do). So, I guess in some ways its also been humbling - a feeling everyone should experience in order to grow as a human being.

The physical challenge is unreal at times! It's awesome to see how powerful determination and hard work can be. Again, its also quite humbling when you dont succeed, only to add fuel to the fire and display resilience to yourself. I stay healthier because of what I need to do to take care of myself in order to reach certain goals.

Socially, the folks I have met are awesome! In general, climbers I have met hold some of the same values and beliefs I do. I have also met a number of people, who are now good friends, that I would not have met if I didnt climb-because they DONT hold the same belief system as I do. I cant imagine my life without some of those people.

I know this might sound cheesy, but climbing has changed my life in a direction I never would have expected. It honestly inspired me to live when I wasn't sure if I wanted to.

I bet everyone has something like this in their life, whether it be a pet, hobby, sport, or loved one. Different personalities require different types of activities to inspire them. Climbing is one of those things for me. So, to say it's too risky? Well, I honestly think, for myself, it would be too risky not to climb.

As a BASE jumper with a mere 2 yrs of climbing under my belt I find this question to be always annoying. Because truly if you must ask you truly can never understand why we must do what we do.

I must agree with Carolyn on many points. It truly adds depth to your life and gives you perspective. As a friend once said "BASE jumping doesn't shorten your life, it extends it by turning brief moments into endless eternities". This is obviously applicable to climbing as well. But beyond that you discover that the jump / climb is just a small portion of the sport(s). After loosing quite a few friends in BASE I've thought quite a bit about why I do these things. It's not about the adrenaline, I loathe the term "adrenaline junkie", but about the the people you share your time with, the things you see (who doesn't love a mountain sunset) the clarity you acheive, etc. Others acheive this thru other means and these are simply the means through which we do it.

I recently had a freind explain to me his logic behind low pulls, pulling low as possible giving you just a few seconds with an open, flying parachute. He said if he could acheive clarity on a typical jump he could acheive even greater clarity by pushing it harded (much like solo'ing harder and harder routes). And don't think this guy has a death wish, he takes approach to his jumps. For many of us this is our meditation. Most meditative techniques lead one to a state of consciousness where one forgets time and looses the sense of the ego and feels oneness and nothingness simultaniously, and aren't these some of the feelings we experience.

As one of the other post said "I do it cause I'm selfish" Well these activities are both extremely selfish yet also have a great sense of comraderie. You risk you life for your own happiness but would also do it to save your friend. So in that sense it is extremely selfish yet selfless.

So why do I do it, cause it makes me happy and leads me to some of the greatest friends I could hope to share my meager time on this planet with. And that's enough for me.

Take care,

Gabe

A friend and I discussed this over lunch a couple of weeks ago. There seems to be a calm confidence embodied in climbers that is palpable. I believe it has something to with their knowledge of how simple and plain everyday life really is. They have been places, seen and done things of quite courage that separate them from the mundane. As a result, while blending into everyday life, they don’t feel the need to stand out. Myself, I strive in my own limited way to achieve some of that same level of understanding.

We climb because the mammoths are all dead and, even if they weren't, we wouldn't be allowed to chase after them in spears and loin-cloths and, even if we could, who'd want to watch your pudgy, pasty-white Seattle self chasing after a shaggy elephant while deconstructing the metaphor of your 'spear'.

Because if you survive one day, you can survive them all.

Because the rock that whizzed past your head is no longer a real danger, the serac that collapsed after you walked past is something you are lucky to have seen. Because these are moments we will remember all our lives, that come to us as we toil away in the everyday.. these moments become the record of our life.

Because the consequences are real and immediate. Because it requires living action NOW and not at a hypothetical future date. Because we are not cattle.

Because I have seen a loved one suffer death by disease in a hospital. It is nice to be able to say goodbye, but accidental death borne of adventure is preferable to me. I do not want to risk getting cancer before I die.

Because it's a good excuse not to worry about retirement.

Most of all, because it doesn't have to be that dangerous. Skill and judgement can adequately reduce the risk for most people.

Because these are moments we will remember all our lives, that come to us as we toil away in the everyday.. these moments become the record of our life.

I agree with this statement to an extent but I think those moments give you the perspective to be able to realize that everyday is the greatest day of your life. To realize that just hanging out with your friends at the bar or chillin' watching a movie with your girlfriend are the moments your life is made of.

Like the Charlie Brown bed sheets I had as a kid (ok I still have 'em :) ) said happiness is an ice cream cone, or whatever. It's those simple moments, simple things that give you joy, be it on a mountain top or just hanging out that contain the joy of life and isn't that what it's all about?

Take care

Gabe