Peak xxx, Coast Range

EasyPeaks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw a girl once with a brand in the shape of a 4-leaf clover on her ass cheek...she told me she wanted it on her shoulder but the "body modification technician" persuaded her otherwise... i said if she had had it on her shoulder she would have been able to sit down in the week afterwards... she told me I didn't understand body modification. you damn right honey! rolleyes.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

the mountain in question is mt tatlow all right.

just over 10,000 ft; in fact, the 1st ten-thousander in climbed in the coast mtns, nearly 30 yrs ago. one of the easiest "big" peaks in the coast mtns, but one of the most beautiful.

80km west from williams lake, then 100km down southwest to the nemaia valley (konni lake).

the lefthand ridge (east) is a walkup, 'cept for a cpl hundred metres on snow at the very top. superb views southwest into the coast mtns and out across the plateau to the north and east.

the left side of the ice face was climbed by beckey and friends in about 1980.

easy hiking access, but a VERY ambitious day trip!

the mtn has sacred significance to the local indian population, and politeness indicates u shld give the band office a call before you head off to climb it:

chief roger william

250-394-7023

rogerwilliam65@yahoo.com

enjoy...

quote:

Originally posted by Don Serl:
the mountain in question is mt tatlow all right.just over 10,000 ft; in fact, the 1st ten-thousander in climbed in the coast mtns, nearly 30 yrs ago. one of the easiest "big" peaks in the coast mtns, but one of the most beautiful.80km west from williams lake, then 100km down southwest to the nemaia valley (konni lake).the lefthand ridge (east) is a walkup, 'cept for a cpl hundred metres on snow at the very top. superb views southwest into the coast mtns and out across the plateau to the north and east.the left side of the ice face was climbed by beckey and friends in about 1980.easy hiking access, but a VERY ambitious day trip!the mtn has sacred significance to the local indian population, and politeness indicates u shld give the band office a call before you head off to climb it:chief roger william250-394-7023rogerwilliam65@yahoo.comenjoy...

IS that like obtaining a permit? What if you snuck in? Would you be arrested?

They'd nail you for sure Caveman. grin.gif" border="0

Yes, it was an ambitious day trip...Thanks for posting info about the chief's number, Don. I doubt you'd "get caught"... in fact, we honestly had no idea it had any significance to the local Indian tribe when we went there... there aren't any signs to that effect, nor any marked trailhead or anything. But now that we know....

There are a bunch of peaks further west along the ridgeline from Tatlow that have nice ice - and probably don't have the same "restriction" as Tatlow. Don, do you know if any of these north faces have been climbed?

re "injuns": if u re-read my original posting, u'll see i thot it'd be courteous to check in with the band, not that anybody's out staking the place out. and not that i agree with them, but the locals are pretty firm about their land claims, altho not rabid or violent. and that's helped save the area from the loggers. so...

let's just say you're a lot less likely to have problems with your vehicle if it's left parked by the side of the road for a couple days if everyone knows who u are and what you're up to. word gets around - there're only about 300 people in the whole valley.

if u do go, make sure to drive on down to the end of the valley to the provincial campsite on chilko lake - outstandingly beautiful! finest place in BC.

oh yah, the n face climb was beckey, the late, great mark bebie, and mark hutson; late sept 1983. see CAJ'84 p78 or AAJ'84 p190.

the summits S and W of tatlow have likely seen almost no climbing activity. culbert reported the summit S of tatlow climbed in 1964 by arnie shives and hamish mutch via the S ridge. open territory...

cheers.

p.s. i screwed up typing the 1st entry, which shld read 1st ten-thousander "i" climbed... (ancient history, who cares)

quote:

Originally posted by Don Serl:
re "injuns": if u re-read my original posting, u'll see i thot it'd be courteous to check in with the band, not that anybody's out staking the place out. and not that i agree with them, but the locals are pretty firm about their land claims, altho not rabid or violent. and that's helped save the area from the loggers. so...let's just say you're a lot less likely to have problems with your vehicle if it's left parked by the side of the road for a couple days if everyone knows who u are and what you're up to. word gets around - there're only about 300 people in the whole valley.if u do go, make sure to drive on down to the end of the valley to the provincial campsite on chilko lake - outstandingly beautiful! finest place in BC.oh yah, the n face climb was beckey, the late, great mark bebie, and mark hutson; late sept 1983. see CAJ'84 p78 or AAJ'84 p190.the summits S and W of tatlow have likely seen almost no climbing activity. culbert reported the summit S of tatlow climbed in 1964 by arnie shives and hamish mutch via the S ridge. open territory...cheers.p.s. i screwed up typing the 1st entry, which shld read 1st ten-thousander "i" climbed... (ancient history, who cares)

Don,

It was a joke mentioning evading and all. But thanks for all the good info. Looks like a fun peak. I would not go up there without proper approval. Just not my style. I was just 1poke.gif ing around to humor people. Mountain looks great.

-Cavedweller