wondering... take it easy... just a question

utah

If any one educated or expierenced has continued to read through all this junk, I have a question about what use avy beacons would have for something like this. I know that they are different from both MLUs and PLBs but it seems like they could be useful. They are small, light and relatively inexpensive. While they might not be strong enough for a helo to pick the signal up, at least ground searchers could pick up the signal instead of walking over a snow cave without noticing it. Just a thought.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick of seeing your trash and trails in the mountains. What are you with-out your big-money yuppie gear and "Mountain Rescue" teams watching your back? You people are the enemy of all things wild.

The most common form of trash I see climbing is deflated party balloons.

Few climbers carry them.

The second is trash left in fire rings.

Few climbers use them.

If any one educated or expierenced has continued to read through all this junk, I have a question about what use avy beacons would have for something like this. I know that they are different from both MLUs and PLBs but it seems like they could be useful. They are small, light and relatively inexpensive. While they might not be strong enough for a helo to pick the signal up, at least ground searchers could pick up the signal instead of walking over a snow cave without noticing it. Just a thought.

are you connected in anyway with JH?

there appeared an occasional thoughtful and provocative post(e.g. billcoe, "bug"...........

OMG, is that a "compliment"?!! :confused:

Dear lord, what did ya do to Dwayner?

well you were brilliant even dwayner has to admit to brilliance when he reads it ;)

I'm sick of seeing your trash and trails in the mountains. What are you with-out your big-money yuppie gear and "Mountain Rescue" teams watching your back? You people are the enemy of all things wild.

Oh oh....

I very rarely see trash where mountaineers go. They leave the six pack crowd a long way down on the trails.

Most mountaineers/climbers/hunters/activist/vegans/peta-types, etc.. are good people who like a clean environement and work to preserve it.

The mountain rescue people are great, they volunteer to help each other and strangers out. What is bad about that? I am grateful they are watching my back. I hope never to have to use their services.

Some people are yupie-like. I agree we have these, but they seem the exception and you can keep away from them, literally. You can spot their unatural neon color, gore-tex, $500 parkas miles away. They tend to look like REI catalogs. You know who you are attention whores. Maybe there are more of them.

The popularity of this sport has attracted the urban yuppie looking for a thrill. I hope they make another sport more prestige enhancing in their social circles. Something really tough like bull riding or rally car racing. Those guys are nuts.

Really, you should try climbing if you haven't before. It would relax you.

there appeared an occasional thoughtful and provocative post(e.g. billcoe, "bug"...........

OMG, is that a "compliment"?!! :confused:

Dear lord, what did ya do to Dwayner?

well you were brilliant even dwayner has to admit to brilliance when he reads it ;)

OMG :blush:

Beers on me next time Muff! :brew:

It's kind of the same mentality as those who won't wear "personal flotation devices" or seat belts in their cars.

Seat belts don't add extra weight and make it more difficult to drive. It is not the same mentality. It is not machismo.

You are wrong and you don't know what you're talking about. Just try to accept that please.

If one is planning to get buried in a snowcave and have to be rescued, then they might be useful. Avy beacons are short range devices (detection range ~50m), so searchers still have to have a pretty good idea where the victim is located.

Packing for a climbing trip is a problem of optimization. There are a large number of things one might bring, so it's a matter of estimating risk and the usefulness of the tool, and balance that with weight and the ability to improvise.

For example, the chance of encountering falling rock or ice is not neglegible, so most climbers would carry and wear a sturdy 1 lb. helmet on that route. The chance of getting buried in an avalanche at the time they headed up the route was pretty low, so a beacon would have little utility.

One can't simply carry every piece of equipment that might prove useful in every imaginable accident. That's an infinite amount of gear. Weight is the enemy of climbing, as it makes it slower, more fatiguing, and requires one to carry even more food and water.

So it's a balance, to carry enough but not too much.