Revelstoke Ice?

Mer

Has anyone ever climbed ice near Revelstoke BC? Not that it's happening around here yet. I'm just thinking and dreaming... if it were colder, if I knew where some nice routes were, if I could talk someone into taking a little drive up the highway, then I could climb...

I know I could just keep driving and get to Golden or Field, but it would be good to know about some routes closer to the back door.

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mer you got a bunch of possibilities: (this is all 2nd hand info or stuff I have seen but not climbed)-prepare for beta spew.

1) Gap Falls area 12km or so west of Revelstoke. Gap Falls is a 2-3 pitch WI 5 right behind the hotel on the highway. within 1-2 km east of Gap Falls are several longish WI 3 and 4 routes hidden in the trees, also south facing. Gap is in West Coast Ice, the other routes are recorded in the 1985 CAJ, I think, Rick Cox article if you can find a copy.

2) North of Revelstoke on the Mica Dam road I hear 2nd hand is some good ice. Call up Roger Laurilla(guide) in R'Stoke and ask him (try the people finder on mybc.com to get his phone #?). Post here what you find out.

3) on the Trans Can east of Rstoke there is some slabby ice across the valley from the highway somewhere out near the Lauretta Slabs. Looks like 3-pitches of grade 3-ish stuff?? sort of like Kicking Horse Canyon ice. N facing smile.gif" border="0

4) In the pass itself there are some super sick and maybe unclimbed pillars coming off the north face of McDonald. You can see it from the highway between the avalanche sheds. If you are looking for M7 WI6+ on good quartzite with high avvy hazard take a crack at it...

5) Near Chase there is some steep ice way up above the highway where it crosses under some big chossy n facing cliffs.you probably know what i mean here cause you live pretty close.

• 1 month later...

The Stoke was fat when we drove through on the 31st. Looked like some good ice was in just north and east of town up many of the drainages. To the West of town Gap Falls etc was fat and there was significant ice further west near Craigellachie. Up at Rogers pass most of the ice is in huge avvy paths but there is a conspicuous flow just east of the mouth of Smart Creek on a gneiss bluff - looked like a 3-pitch WI4, with some thin spots,where the only avvy hazard would be walking through the trees from the approach.

Thanks for looking out Dru,

I drove past Chase/Squilax recently--also known as "the place where I damn near drive off the highway while trying to look at the cliffs." I pulled over this time, and it's completely dry up there. But I'll be over Revelstoke way this weekend and will poke around east of Malakwa.

Yeah, backyard ice!

• 3 weeks later...