Bourbon

KaskadskyjKozak

I was under the impression that bourbon was so called because the first batch of it was stored in white oak casks that had originally held French wine. The resulting "whiskey" was much smoother and sweeter than the usual pisswater- so much so that the oak casking process was standardized. Now I think some makers lightly char the insides of the barrels to "caramelize" the wood. Of couse, this info is all dredged up out of a long ago trip to the Jim Beam Distillery and should be viewed with some suspicion.

At the time of my visit, I was requesting sponsorship.

At any rate, it seems strange that we're discussing bourbon and whiskey when the snow has started falling in the high country. That brown water's for summertime sipping! In the mountains, a single malt front is developing. You can delude yourself with Lowland and Highland shite, or you can proceed directly to the Islays for the smoke, the fire, the power and the

glory.

The list is simple.

Bowmore for regular medicinal purposes.

Ardbeg for the cold, cold days.

But on the cold wet days- on those days you've swung tools and kicked steps and placed screws one-handed- on those days the lucky few choose Lagavulin.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Alas no :( CNR appeared to be more than we were ready to bite off, especially considering none of us had summitted Stuart before by any route :P

My stomach was rebelling a bit at the base so I baked off. My 2 compatriots did the first few pitches, but between hauling packs, climbing with heavy packs, and a being a bit uncertain as to route finding they were moving too slowly to feel confident about completing it in good style.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor I suppose. Going to make a go at just the upper N. Ridge next time.

Alas no :( CNR appeared to be more than we were ready to bite off, especially considering none of us had summitted Stuart before by any route :P

My stomach was rebelling a bit at the base so I baked off. My 2 compatriots did the first few pitches, but between hauling packs, climbing with heavy packs, and a being a bit uncertain as to route finding they were moving too slowly to feel confident about completing it in good style.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor I suppose. Going to make a go at just the upper N. Ridge next time.

Pity. My climb up there is off now due to partner's crappy work-situation. Mebbe next year.

1790 is good stuff. I've not tried much new bourbon for a while.

Hey Dawg, you got a half-gal of Monarch?

Fixed that for ya.

Prole's so folksy, isn't he? Drinking bud light on the couch on the front porch and telling all the downtrodden who will listen exactly what changes they need to make so that they can rise up against their Scotch and Bourbon drinking oppressors and free themselves from the bondage of consumerism. Or on a slow day, perhaps just sharing an organic fruit salad recipe he put together after a ride on the Metro down to the farmer's market.

Edited by E-rock

Hey Dawg, you got a half-gal of Monarch?

Fixed that for ya.

Prole's so folksy, isn't he? Drinking bud light on the couch on the front porch and telling all the downtrodden who will listen exactly what changes they need to make so that they can rise up against their Scotch and Bourbon drinking oppressors and free themselves from the bondage of consumerism. Or on a slow day, perhaps just sharing an organic fruit salad recipe he put together after a ride on the Metro down to the farmer's market.

Prole is right, Bourbon is so high brow...

Kid-Rock-with-Jim-Beam-Cake-at-LAVO-588.jpg