Another Mt Hood Stupid Comment

Weekend_Climberz

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the exception of just a few indivduals, mountain search and rescue types here in the NW are just one small step up the food chain from the mounties and NOLS folks.

I agree with you. Folks who like organizations/clubs/heirarchy/ego-trips/etc are attracted to S&R, and most of them are mediocre (if that) climbers. As you said, there are a few really good climbers in S&R, but they are a minority.

My understanding is that the Mountain Rescue organizations are volunteer, so they take what they can get.

If the few (and the modest) uber-climbers such as yourselves don't join, then Mountain Rescue is composed of the folks who do. Such as Mounties and NOLS graduates.

And they will go out there and do their best. Because if they didn't go out there, no one would.

They went to Mt. Hood to prepare themselves for the conditions they may experienced on Everest.

:lmao:

Well, they'll have their media circus skills down pat after this experience.

Duelling book deals in the parking lot outside the news conference methinks. And of course, sponsorship from MSR (for the XGKs) and Lucasfilm (for the Tauntauns).

They went to Mt. Hood to prepare themselves for the conditions they may experienced on Everest.

Duelling book deals in the parking lot outside the news conference methinks. And of course, sponsorship from MSR (for the XGKs) and Lucasfilm (for the Tauntauns).

Where is Krakauer, anyway?

From a climbing standpoint I understand wanting to go out. From a SAR standpoint ( I am an officer on a SAR team and use to do SAR on Hood) the people and extra tracks do hinder operations. I grew up 10 miles from the search base and it gets nasty up there. All they need is false clues. but you make the choice.

Hiding out from the Mormon death squads? Did you read "Under the Banner of Heaven"?

Hiding out from the Mormon death squads? Did you read "Under the Banner of Heaven"?

I'm reading "K2: The Price of Conquest"

Those crazy Italians.

What a shame it is these experienced climbers didn't use the safer southern route and rent mountain locating units before their ascent.

I hope no searcher gets injured or worse looking for them.

What a shame that that CNET guy who got lost in SW Oregon with his family didn't rent a MLU before driving home to San Francisco, too, right? And drive the safer I5 all the way...

:rolleyes:

I've done enough climbing to know that I'm a skier.

Yesterday, waiting for Heather to open, I got to listen to a ski patroller expounding upon the "they screwed up" school of thought. He started off with the classic "it's not a Winter climb" line, which (I hope) I effectively countered. Then he followed with "they didn't have the weather window," which led to a discussion of how nice it'd been on that Friday, Saturday and (below a certain elevation) most of Sunday, too.

The talk sort of trailed off from there. We both realized that we weren't going to change one another's mind. Unfortunately, to the other people, I was just a guy standing there waiting. He was the guy with "the jacket."

As much as I'll detest the whole "Jeebus Saved Us" circus, I REALLY want those guys to come down and shut up the "Yahoos from Texas" crowd.

Edited by nonanon

Incredible how many kevbone-clones are rockin' that thread.

:lmao: Funny stuff Dude!

Anyone remember when baby jessica fell down the well? Every crazy friggan loon in the US had an opinion and they all sucked. Theres 18 pages of uninformed wild-eyed speculation to date on the Cascade thread about this with an occasional informed post by a C.com regular tossed in on rare occasion.

Well it didn't look like they were going to get that baby out of the well before she expired and it ran on TV 24/7.

Things worked out fine in the end and it all got back to normal. Here's hoping the same finish for this circus.

BTW: in case you are wondering, Jessica is still a babe!

baby_jessica.jpg

LoulouMonument.jpg

Hmmmm, someone pulled that hot babe pic of Jessica so I'll subsitute this one that doesn't even releate to the subject, no one will notice.

Frankly, all of you As-the-World-Turns gawkers need to go somewhere else - we don't need a half-dozen people transcribing the same CNN broadcast.

From a guy with 10 posts, lol!

I'm not saying that I'm more than a gawker, but yeesh!

Edited by Bogen

And I'll burn in hell for saying this, (don't read on if you are a sensitive viewer) but sadly with the exception of just a few indivduals, mountain search and rescue types here in the NW are just one small step up the food chain from the mounties and NOLS folks. ..............Again sorry if I offended anyone here. I may delete this post. Moderators? should I?

I'm deeply offended. You obviously don't know jack shit about the people up there Jens. You ever met a single one of them? Just one of the people up there right now? If not then you are just talkin out your ass.

I agree with the other part of your post about a bad precedent to close the Mt down to do a rescue. BUT, as the avalance danger must off the hook given the terrible storm that just dumped a few feet of heavy snow onto a consolidated base, it may in fact be saving some lives of people who want to just go up and help out, so I'm sort of torn.