Another Mt Hood Stupid Comment

Weekend_Climberz

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finding the snow cave(s) would of course be the best thing, but, depending on a lot of variables, if one's not there to look for it, but to climb the mountain, it might not be noticed. whiteout, climbing in dark, out of direct line of sight (stomping past not over)...who knows. you might see a snow-cave-like shadow and think 'well that's probably not it' -- for wahtever reason -- and if you're there to get the summit, rather than there to look for climbers in dire need, you just might not follow up as you would if you were there in search mode.

i'm just saying why not let SAR do their thing and 'go get some' somewhere else this weekend? (i know, sweatinoutliquor, that you're not the original poster of that phrase).

if the cave(s) is/are found, great. but a snowed-over cave might be hard to see, and ambiguous traces of any kind might passed by a person intent on the summit rather than intent on SAR.

i don't think the mountain should be closed -- i think the fewer formal regulations the better -- but i _am_ surprised that climbers would _want_ to climb for climbing's sake right in the midst of one of the most intense search rescue areas (basically, anywhere on the N and S faces very near the summit).

This has become an international media event with debate over rescue and costs popping up all over the US. Climbers are a small special interest group that can't even agree with each other over tiny details - much less the general public on broader issues. The last thing that the public needs to see on television is a group of climbers headed out combined with a random interview of some SAR official asking climbers to avoid the area. If the public sees a news segment like that they'll go nuts and we'll be one step closer to more government oversight for all climbing areas.

Climb elsewhere this weekend.

Should they close down all the ski resorts also? It could be a month before they know what happened to the climbers. Mt hood is big. Climb on the other side.

i don;t think the skiing should be closed, but i disagree -- mt. hood is tiny, when you consider the most likely places for a cave. and how do you know what side they're on? the ski lifts don't go too high. any activity above the lifts, unless recreational climbers are up there, should be of either SAR or the missing guys. that's pretty straightforward. why not give them every chance possible rather than muddy up the scene? it just seems thoughtless to tromp around in the immediately critical SAR area this exact weekend.

to give SAR and the guys the best chances, i'd say put a ring around the mountain starting at say 9k; anything above that i imagine is a good immeidate SAR area. not quite as small as i offhandedly said, but you can narrow it down...obviously things like yocum or steel cliff or castle crags probably aren't likely sites. but if it's all pristine (no tracks, caves, urine spots, lost or discarded items etc) above that because people make a considerate decision not to go above it, just this one weekend...couldn't that help at least by omission, so to speak? i could be completely wrong wiht my 9k figure but i'm thinking in this case, this weekend, err on the side of caution...or just climb something else this one weekend.

if the cave(s) is/are found, great. but a snowed-over cave might be hard to see, and ambiguous traces of any kind might passed by a person intent on the summit rather than intent on SAR.

My gosh. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm sure the bumperstickers on your car are also full of helpful information.

Seems like a good thing:

For Immediate Release

Mt. Hood Closed to Climbing to Assist Search and Rescue Efforts

Sandy, OR – Effective today, December 15, 2006, Mt. Hood is closed to all climbing. The area of the mountain above the Pacific Crest Trail and the Timberline Trail is closed to everyone except the search and rescue teams directed by the Hood River County Sheriff.

The purpose of the closure is intended to assist efforts to find the three missing climbers. With a forecasted break in the weather, rescuers plan an all out effort to find the missing climbers. By keeping everyone out of the area, the sheriff will be able to eliminate any false clues left by others such as tracks or cell phone signals. The public is asked to abide by this closure.

Seems like a good thing:

For Immediate Release

Mt. Hood Closed to Climbing to Assist Search and Rescue Efforts

Sandy, OR – Effective today, December 15, 2006, Mt. Hood is closed to all climbing. The area of the mountain above the Pacific Crest Trail and the Timberline Trail is closed to everyone except the search and rescue teams directed by the Hood River County Sheriff.

The purpose of the closure is intended to assist efforts to find the three missing climbers. With a forecasted break in the weather, rescuers plan an all out effort to find the missing climbers. By keeping everyone out of the area, the sheriff will be able to eliminate any false clues left by others such as tracks or cell phone signals. The public is asked to abide by this closure.

That seems to settle the whole argument. :-)

Even more stupid comments!!!

What the hell were these three thinking? Attempting an ascent of the most dangerous side of Hood, in the face of three consecutive powerful storms??? Evidently being "experienced" climbers doesn't figure in common sense. The previous week we had beautiful climbing weather, high pressure combined with a temperature inversion. They could have easily made the summit without complications. Now they are stuck in blizzard-like conditions, I'm sure they are facing wind chills somewhere between 30-50 below zero. Nice going guys, you not only risk your own lives, but those of the rescuers who are trying to save your asses. Let alone all the unnecessary grief you are causing your families and friends.

Hey dumbass, maybe you didn't notice, but they started the climb last week (just when you wanted them to) and the storms happened this week.

Even more stupid comments!!!

What the hell were these three thinking? Attempting an ascent of the most dangerous side of Hood, in the face of three consecutive powerful storms??? Evidently being "experienced" climbers doesn't figure in common sense. The previous week we had beautiful climbing weather, high pressure combined with a temperature inversion. They could have easily made the summit without complications. Now they are stuck in blizzard-like conditions, I'm sure they are facing wind chills somewhere between 30-50 below zero. Nice going guys, you not only risk your own lives, but those of the rescuers who are trying to save your asses. Let alone all the unnecessary grief you are causing your families and friends.

Hey dumbass, maybe you didn't notice, but they started the climb last week (just when you wanted them to) and the storms happened this week.

I'm sure they are facing wind chills somewhere between 30-50 below zero

Hey Ignoramdumbass, we're talking snow caves here.

Nice catch to copy this post before Timmay deleted it, G-spot.