Another Mt Hood Stupid Comment

Weekend_Climberz

Just talked to ZigZag Ranger district regarding plans for climbing this weekend. Weather forecast is looking relatively decent and we had planned for the regular bivy at Triangle Moraine area Sat nite w/ SS summit Sun AM. Ranger checked w/ boss if we would be allowed to proceed. Replied they won't prevent us, even if search activities continue. He suggested current avalanche danger is high, also requested we call ZigZag station w/ sitreps.

Given the predicted weather improvement for Sat/Sun, including colder temps, we feel avalanche danger may be acceptable for SS route. Probably SAR teams, if search is still underway, will have been and gone by the time we lug the basecamp up to 9500'.

We feel bad for the missing climbers and have great respect for those searching.

what i can't believe is that with people possibly perishing on the mountain *right now*, people still want to go up there and have some 'fun'. 'who cares, as long as i get my fix', eh?

WTF??

What was the point of this comment? Life goes on, I would think those three, if they are gone (that's a HUGE if), should be honored by people climbing Hood. This is the same argument that the families of the people who crash on Mt Slesse use to justify trying to make that mountain off limits to climbers. Come on people, quit talking out of your asses. Those guys need some positive vibes :tup: :tup: :tup:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think both statements are pretty weak shit.

Badbill should keep his badass self out of the way of searchers on the potentially first good search day all week. He's just creating more headache and risk for them by being there.THe SAR dudes have been saying that for days now. Pick another mtn,dude this weekend, keep your subconsciously glory seeking butt out of the way and let the SAR guys do their job without your distraction. He may be within his rights to climb there but that also doesn't make it right.

and,yeah,i agree... ymir should tone it down in a thread that is obviously offering some comfort and great info to friends and family.

I guess I don't understand the mentality that everyone should stay away from the mountain this weekend. Go out climb, get off the couch and go get some. What's the need for them to shut the whole mountain down, I bet there will be hordes of skiers/boarders at Timberline (probably been there all week). Should they shut down skiing, that could get in the way. Maybe they should shut down climbing on Denali until they've remove all the bodies on that sucker ??

I

Badbill should keep his badass self out of the way of searchers on the potentially first good search day all week. He's just creating more headache and risk for them by being there.THe SAR dudes have been saying that for days now. Pick another mtn,dude this weekend, keep your subconsciously glory seeking butt out of the way and let the SAR guys do their job without your distraction. He may be within his rights to climb there but that also doesn't make it right.

:tup:

Agreed. There other places to go. Keep the ego in check and give the SAR guys a break and a wide bearth.

look at this way...when those sar guys bust out on Sat to search in hopefully good conditions they KNOW anyone they see above them or any fresh boot tracks are people they are looking for. It's a potentially a clean slate to track in. Random people up there won't help abit.

There isn't allot you and I can do right now to help those guys but at least do your part not to hinder the guys who can right now, ya know? There is a whole state or two full of other mtns to hit this weekened.

I would have to respectfully disagree and instead go with weekendclibmerz on this one. If you were planning to climb hood, climb hood. It is no disrespect for anyone or any family.

When I've climbed in chamonix, some days 5-6 different rescues would be going on on 5-6 peaks simultanously. If you stayed off all of the peaks that had SARS in progress, you'd be outta luck. Climbing is a high risk life pursuit. Don't step on the ropes of the SAR folks but pursue your life passion on your terms.

Weekend... A SAR is a highly coordinated effort including teams on the ground, and in this case, likely air support. They know almost exactly where their teams are at most times, althogh keeping track can be difficult. Now, let's say you and a buddy go climb the mountain and are on your way down: how are they going to be able to distinguish between you and what could be members of the missing climbers group? They have to check, and doing so takes them away from their job. If the only people on that mountain were either the searchers, or the missing climbers, it makes things a lot easier for everyone. That way if they see a couple of climbers that aren't where any documented search parties are located, there may be a good chance they are the missing climbers.

I guess I don't understand the mentality that everyone should stay away from the mountain this weekend. Go out climb, get off the couch and go get some. What's the need for them to shut the whole mountain down, I bet there will be hordes of skiers/boarders at Timberline (probably been there all week). Should they shut down skiing, that could get in the way. Maybe they should shut down climbing on Denali until they've remove all the bodies on that sucker ??

I kind of agree. Mt Hood is huge, I think it would be possible to keep out the SAR's way, and still enjoy yourself on the Mt. Ego is not involved.

This has become an international media event with debate over rescue and costs popping up all over the US. Climbers are a small special interest group that can't even agree with each other over tiny details - much less the general public on broader issues. The last thing that the public needs to see on television is a group of climbers headed out combined with a random interview of some SAR official asking climbers to avoid the area. If the public sees a news segment like that they'll go nuts and we'll be one step closer to more government oversight for all climbing areas.

Climb elsewhere this weekend.

the skiing in the trees @newton should be off the chain this w-e. if you are not there and are flailing around the south side circus, I question your status as a telemarketing-fore-aft-stability-bitching wilco-listening soul climber. plus they'll be cutting loose all the windslab for you with xgk's on full bore and neutrinos jangling. I'm not your mom (sloooww pitch....) but it would prob. be nice to have some control of who's prancing around w.c.r/queens/cooper/dkhw/nf etc. plus it's just silly to be up there right now, who in their right minds would try such a thing? :) have fun...

there you go, 'go get some' even though you might stomp right over or past the snow cave(s) in your quest for the summit, who cares, right, as long as _you_ go 'get some'? because life is of course all about you.

Not that I agree with the idea of climbing this weekend, but wouldn't stomping over the snow cave(s) be a good thing?

there you go, 'go get some' even though you might stomp right over or past the snow cave(s) in your quest for the summit, who cares, right, as long as _you_ go 'get some'? because life is of course all about you.

I'll guess that if they stomped right past the cave, they'd stop and stick their heads in to say hello.

Not to mention alert the SAR guys.

And probably feed them milk and cookies.