I want to do some awesome climbs (12/20-1/2)

Jamin

I am a student, and I am off work and school for three weeks. I am interested in doing some awesome climbs in the cascades. I have a car, 3 ice tools, an ice axe, a few ice screws, a set of stoppers, a 50 m rope, biners, and extensive mountaineering experience.

I am thinking about doing some FWA's (First Winter Ascent's) of a few peaks in the highway two area. There are less than a half dozen peaks left in the highway 2 area which have never been climbed in the winter. A few examples of FWA's and possible FWA's include Engadi, Snowslide Peak above Index, and Red Mountain above the spada reservior. I have also considered a climb up Overcoat Peak near Chimney Rock, but I would hesistate to do that unless there were perfect conditions.

I am also willing to do ice climbing and short sections of rock practically anywhere in the cascades. If you are going on a climb, let me know. You can contact me at j7jamin at yahoo.com .

Edited by Jamin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I and a couple of other climbers are probably going to attempt Red Mountain above Spada Lake the 22nd or 23rd (Friday or Saturday). There is no record of a winter ascent of this peak. This peak was first climbed in 1958, and the original register is still on the summit with a total of about 5 entries. Only about 10-20 people have ever summitted Red Mountain. Red Mountain is class 4 and should not be extremely technical. It is only climbed infrequently because it is not as simple or as high as other surrounding peaks.

If you are interested in bagging the first winter ascent, contact me at j7jamin at yahoo.com .

Red Mountain is the pyramid in the photo. The other side is much easier than the side you can see. 001_0.JPG

Edited by Jamin

I found out that there was a gate at Olney Pass and I wasn't up for a 22 mile daytrip. I considered doing another FWA, but I would have had to ford a river, which was probably chest deep after last night's rain. I ended up doing Silver Peak (5600+ feet, class 3) with another climber. It was rather frigid up there.

I will be free after Christmas for climbing. Let me know if you are going somewhere.

Edited by Jamin

You're all a bunch of assholes, and I love it!

Anyone feel like hitting up Alpental or anywhere else after Christmas? I'd be free to go the next couple of days but I promised the folks that I'd be around this time after spending the last 2 Christamases in Iraq.