Confrontations at Lillooet?

Jens

I love ice climbing at Lillooet, but I have to ask?

How many people have stories abou run-in's, confrontations, or fights that have occured at any of the drinking establishments?

I have had two different climbing partners that have gotten into confrontations with locals on different occasions. One night while I was sleeping, someone was thrown through the window of the downstairs bar- Glass everywhere. Some of these drunken locals have some attitude. I'm not bashing on any of the establishments. Having some "Canadian" on tap and watching hockey on the TV's one channel are as much fun as the great climbing, [big Drink]

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I say that Whopper and I went inmto one place one night for a few cold ones and it was quite clear that we were not welcome there. We stood our graound had a brew anyway and left on our own accord.

No fights...but is was painfully clear that we were not welcome there. Since that time we eat at the resturants and go back to our hotel room. No pub crawling for me in Lillooet.

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:
Well I say that Whopper and I went inmto one place one night for a few cold ones and it was quite clear that we were not welcome there. We stood our graound had a brew anyway and left on our own accord.

No fights...but is was painfully clear that we were not welcome there. Since that time we eat at the resturants and go back to our hotel room. No pub crawling for me in Lillooet.

Dru, correct me if I'm wrong but..

Mug's N Jugs is a pretty climber friendly bar, or so I've found at least. Aparently the owner/manager is the guy who made the first ascent of Honeyman falls. I think they carried more than Canadian too (don't quote me on this!)

I also had one of those experiences, like your Rodchester, at the Ryenodls. The the natives oogled us to our table, oogled us while we drank our alcoholic 7-up (Canadian). Needless to say we left as well.

Too bad about the local attitude. Alcohol is not the social "lube" one would wish. I would like to know which pubs to avoid and which to spend our money in. My experience in the states has always been avoid the bars where the loggers, miners and cow folk hang out, cause they just love kicking outside ass. Remember this: If you get in a fight in Canada you are a Yank and you can get banned from the country. I have an Alaskan friend that is banned. He has to fly to get to the Lower 48. [Moon]

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: sisu suomi ]

I have never had such confrontations. I was curious to where they happened. I have been to the Reynolds, Mugs and Jugs etc and not seen the 'tude. But I do believe it exists. Oh well. I'll consider myself warned and be prepared.

Maybe the Americans should swarm the areas in posse like groups? Cell Phone Posse? Safety in numbers. [big Drink] Their is not anything but loggers railroad people etc up there in the winter. Either you are a ice climber or hockey player. I don't understand their thinking. What harm could ice climbers do? They drink pass out spend money and stare at icicles all day wink.gif" border="0

Has any of this happened since the 2001 Ice Fest? Because while I was there, we had nothing but good experiences, and we were in a truck with Oregon plates.

I overheard a couple of loggers in one restaurant checking that everything was going ok for a table of uhmurcun climbers nearby, and they seemed ready to bust heads if the climbing folk had been ill treated.

Has anyone heard about the Ice Fest for this year?

C

Ice fest info follows. I mailed TeamLilloet today and await a response that I will post:

The Lillooet Ice Climbing Festival The Fest is a GO for 2002 and will be directed by Team Lillooet, a local business/ tourism advocacy group. I've willing passed along the event to the group, and particularly Paul Malkinson (Melvin's on Main Guesthouse). They're keen to build on the 2001 event and have my full support. The event is scheduled for January 18th to the 20th, 2002, and all information can be gleaned from Paul at TeamLillooet@lillonet.org. It's my understanding they will have a website soon. I hope to help Paul and Team Lillooet where I can, esp. in regards to contacts. However, I'm more inclined to climb that weekend, maybe take a clinic and relax this year. Please don't hesitate to contact Paul if you've got an idea/ proposal/ sponsorship/ donation for the 2002 event! Lillooet Ice Climbing Maps UpdateApologies to all who attended last year's Fest and haven't received a map yet. They've taken a backseat to life this summer (I did get a lot of great climbing in...), but aim to have them out before the local ice is in. If you've changed address since the Fest please let me know so I can get a map to you. Hope to see you at the Lillooet Ice Climbing Festival 2002!Lyle Knight

Maybe you guys should walk in with your harness on and third-tool holstered or your pack with both tools attached. You know those rednecks love tools, they'll probably strike up a conversation. If they get surly, just smash 'em with the hammer, or if there's a bunch of 'em just plug the first one with the pick...the spurting blood should keep the rest at bay.

FWIW I dont think neanderthal locals are busting on Americans - they would do the same to latte swilling Vancouverites.

Reynolds Hotel, Mugs and Jugs, motels, have all been good to me. ditto the Legion even though I had to take my hat off!!!! Dinas Restaurant (Greek) once didnt put the heat on and we had to wear belay parkas while we ate mad.gif" border="0 . Never drank at the pub across from the Chevron station I heard it is a bit more hostile but who knows?

And I climb and drink with guys who wear dresses into bars rolleyes.gif" border="0 and ride unicycles around in the parking lot, so....

I was with Rodchester. His account is accurate. Though there were no words said it was quite obvious by the 30-40 people staring at us that we were not real welcome. I forget the name of the place but it is the red, old western style looking building as you enter town. By the way Dina's has good pizza. After a few week-ends of spending to much money we started bringing our food and cooking it in the hotel. I never felt like I was missing out on the night life up there and don't think I have ever seen an attractive female in that town.