Time for a new board... splittboard or not?

octavius

Its time for a new board and I'm considering a splittboard but realistically I'll probably be using my new board in lift serve areas most of the time this year... never done any BC SB'ing but I want to try it, and I do have a couple years of BC Tele under my belt, own a tranceiver, etc. Thinking for BC SB trips I can just do the snowshoe thing... any reason why this is a bad idea other than the fact that I'll be slower than everybody else in the group? For seriously long BC treks... I can just do Tele instead.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go to 2nd Ascent and rent a splitboard for a weekend to see whether it's worth it first hand. A splitboard is a major investment so you'd better be sold on it. Things you'll want to consider:

* How often do you plan on riding the resorts compared to bc splittin?

* Do you have a second pair of bindings for your current board so you don't have to swap out just to ride at a resort? The binding swap is a tedious process to say the least.

* Do your friends all have tele set ups? If so, a splitboard will be better than snowshoes just so the skintrack isn't getting tore up by the shoes.

* Are you rich? Cause once you get a split you'll need a snowmobile. ; )

Great suggestion about renting from 2nd ascent... didn't know they rented boards. I really don't mind snow shoeing, but I don't want to drag down the rest of the group... I suppose another option is to just get a regular board and rent a splitter for those B/C trips this year.

Edited by octavius

Splitboards rock in the bc but they are a bit lack luster inbounds. Not just because they aren't as rigid, they are also a whole heck of a lot heavier and suck when strapped to one foot riding up the lift.

If you are not primarily a bc rider I would buy a normal board and then use snowshoes or rent a splitty for the few bc trips you are going to be doing.

I've skied with a few boarders with snowshoes, and they kept up fine. Actually was a little faster switching to downhill and back, too. It just sucks having to snowshoe though, period.

I'll agree snowshoes are not much slower and the switching over is a little faster. However showshoeing will cause you to use a hell of alot more energy to cover the same amount ground versus using a splitboard. That's I would say go with the splitboard, you'll have a better time and most likely get alot more turns in. Never seen to many snowshoers who like to yo-yo a slope.

• 3 weeks later...
Its time for a new board and I'm considering a splittboard but realistically I'll probably be using my new board in lift serve areas most of the time this year... never done any BC SB'ing but I want to try it, and I do have a couple years of BC Tele under my belt, own a tranceiver, etc. Thinking for BC SB trips I can just do the snowshoe thing... any reason why this is a bad idea other than the fact that I'll be slower than everybody else in the group? For seriously long BC treks... I can just do Tele instead.

For lift serve get a real board. Splits have a lot more flex than normal boards and real aren't that much fun on hard pack surfaces.

For backcountry get a split, snowshoeing sucks. The other option would be to buy some of those short skis for the aproach, though you won't really be able to help in breaking trail because they don't have the same floatation.

Deep snow would require huge snowshoes also. I was up at Heather Ridge last friday after the big dumping they got. We were on splitboards and were sinking to just below the knees. Breaking trail left a skin track, or I should say TRENCH that was a good 16" deep. If you were on snowshoes, I dont think you would have gotten very far, unless they were the mammoth 36 inchers and even then it would have been hell.

After spending half the day standing in lift lines and then riding through the mass crowds of peeps and the snowboarders who perfer to sit on their asses in the middle of runs....I'd say get a split board and seek out BC riding....if I could afford it at this moment I'd make the switch to a split. Next year.....

they are also a whole heck of a lot heavier and suck when strapped to one foot riding up the lift.

Another good point, though you can always use the foot rest on most lifts.

Actually many places don't have foot rests....for example baker. So you can't really count on them. I still say buy the right tool for the job.

I agree with Ultra. If you're spending less than 50% of your time OB, then stick with a regular board. Save your $ for a Pior until you're ready to commit to taking some time OB.

I really recommend the Snowboard Conection for the best snowboard advice.

I agree with Ultra. If you're spending less than 50% of your time OB, then stick with a regular board. Save your $ for a Pior until you're ready to commit to taking some time OB.

I really recommend the Snowboard Conection for the best snowboard advice.

Yeah but if you get a split you'll never sit in a lift line again. The money you save in lift tickets will pay for the board. I still ride every week, plus riding in the summer rocks!! 14 consecutive months so far!!

But then again its not for everyone.

Do you know how to ski Kevbone?

Wanna race? you with your skiis and me with my split.

You would loose! And yes I know how to ski.

Let's do this shit, put your $ where you mouth is.

I would not want to embarrass you. You will loose. I consider myself a worthy climber but a much better skier.

PS: wow, my chest hurts from the constant pounding on it.