Climbing question

runningrat

I'm in pretty good shape and athletic. a few years ago my buddy and i were hiking in mt rainier and i decided to hike to camp muir and i did it in tennis shoes in about 3.5 hours. i was afraid to go any further because i didn't have a guide.

Question: I'm trying to get a bunch a buddies together this June (all are in shape but with no climbing experience) and we want to summit a nothern cascade peak without a guide and in one day. Can anyone provide me with the name of a mountain to do this. Again, we don't have climbing experience but we could all climb to muir in 3-4 hours like i did with ease and zero training. Please let me know. Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Most peaks have an easy route to the top you can climb without a rope. Climbing on a glacier if you have no experience with crevasse rescue can also be dangerous. Just pick a nice high one that doesn`t involve crossing a glacier. Take a look at Classic Climbs in the Cascades or something.

I'm in pretty good shape and athletic. a few years ago my buddy and i were hiking in mt rainier and i decided to hike to camp muir and i did it in tennis shoes in about 3.5 hours. i was afraid to go any further because i didn't have a guide.

Question: I'm trying to get a bunch a buddies together this June (all are in shape but with no climbing experience) and we want to summit a nothern cascade peak without a guide and in one day. Can anyone provide me with the name of a mountain to do this. Again, we don't have climbing experience but we could all climb to muir in 3-4 hours like i did with ease and zero training. Please let me know. Thanks

are you joking? how did you know you were at muir camp without a guide or experience. is there a neon sign that says muir camp?

i suggest you hook hook up with an experienced climber, get some experience then turn your buddies on. climbing anything easy or hard is serious business and putting anybody who might have to rescue you at risk is irresponsible.

Edited by pink

This isn't spray Pink.

Runningrat, for Washington, you might consider the southside of Mt. Adams. No glacier travel, reasonably well traveled route, and it'll get you to 12,000 ft. To my knowledge the other Washington Volcano's all have glacier travel. Anyone care to speak up for non-technical outings in Oregon?

I might also recommend a peak in the Olympics. You get to experience a unique environment, the views are astounding, and there are far more peaks that are accessable without extensive glacier travel and technicality. I would suggest the Brothers, or if you're looking for a bigger adventure, try something like Mount Carrie. It would involve more of a backpacking trip to get to the mountain itself,but you get the chance to summit a peak that is just under 7000 feet, and has incredible views of Olympus. i would also reccommend picking up the Olympics Guide, as it has lots of hikes and mountaineering descriptions of varying difficulty.

This isn't spray Pink.

Runningrat, for Washington, you might consider the southside of Mt. Adams. No glacier travel, reasonably well traveled route, and it'll get you to 12,000 ft. To my knowledge the other Washington Volcano's all have glacier travel. Anyone care to speak up for non-technical outings in Oregon?

not spraying thank you very much. he has no experience and wants to climb a peak with no guide then blindly ask people on the internet for advice. hook up with an experienced climber. i don't take climbing lightly, i just don't want to see anybody get hurt. it's not for everyone.

Mount Ruth is one of the prettiest summits around and is pretty much a walk up. There may be crevasses in late summer but none earlier.

Your one day restriction limits you more than your need that it be non-technical. Lots of cool easy summits in the Cascades if you're willing to overnite.

You don't state your background and I do not wish to be patronizing but outside of "climbing" skills there's a thing or two to learn and know about navigation and such to help ensure your foray has a happy ending. People occasionally perish on easy things like the Muir snowfield, for example, because they were ill-prepared and unlucky when the weather went sour.

Hidden Lakes Peak is pretty cool. So too Sahale. Both are in the heart of the North Cascades, offer fantastic views of the main part of the range, and require relatively little in the way of special skills or navigation ability. You could very well enjoy either of these.

i was afraid to go any further because i didn't have a guide.

you also need a permit to go beyond Muir. it's to both control the numbers of climbers and for the saftey and protection of people like you on the mountain that may not realize the potential dangers of such a mountain.

Pink was a little harsh sounding to a first time poster but sometimes a little slap in the face is what some people need to get the proper training and not be a walking hazard.

runningrat, realize it only takes the sun going behind the clouds to change that soft snow into a sheet of ice. those sneakers and no ice axe would leave you in a world of hurt.

if you have questions, consider posting in the Newbies forum for the kid glove treatment and good info.

Consider buying Freedom of the Hills too.. a great book that will take you far tempered with some common sense, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Freedom-Hills-Mountaineers-Society/dp/0898868289/sr=8-1/qid=1166072432/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-1252979-3203604?ie=UTF8&s=books

Good luck,climb safe.

Thanks to everyone for all for the advice. I will do some research into Mt Adams south face. One more quick question: will we need to rent crampons/ice axe to do this summit or can we just dig our hiking boots into the slush and scramble up in the steep areas? I know when i went to muir (my only experience to base anything on) people had on crampons but i didn't see the need. Is this similar?

As for this Pink character, you need an attitude adjustment. I knew I was at muir because it was a built up camp and i asked other guided groups as i passed them on my ascent up the snow fields. Don't think you're better then me just because you have more experience. I wouldn't trade my physical prowess for your experience under any circumstance. With a map, a little common sense, and determination anything is possible. I don't think I'm attemping anything stupid here, that is why I'm asking for advice.

He's got a point.

:noway::noway::noway::noway:

OK, I admit it. I laughed at this one.

Just a tip, bring more clothes than you think you're going to need as well. Just from covering enough stories about people lost, most of them don't bring enough clothes to survive the night. Also no cotton.

I climbed it in July with trekking poles and hiking boots. For the most part I was glad I hadn't brought an ice axe and crampons, but there was about 200 feet of pretty hard snow that was a little tricky. In June there may be more snow for easier steps, but of course the conservative choice would be to bring them. It's not a hard route but is definitely steeper than the route to Muir.

Thanks to everyone for all for the advice. I will do some research into Mt Adams south face. One more quick question: will we need to rent crampons/ice axe to do this summit or can we just dig our hiking boots into the slush and scramble up in the steep areas? I know when i went to muir (my only experience to base anything on) people had on crampons but i didn't see the need. Is this similar?

You might as well go ahead and make the investment in crampons and ice axe. These are essential items for so many climbs in the Cascades. If you are serious about climbing, you might as well just spring for these items.

Question: I'm trying to get a bunch a buddies together this June (all are in shape but with no climbing experience) and we want to summit a nothern cascade peak without a guide and in one day. Can anyone provide me with the name of a mountain to do this.

here is the peak you want to climb (more of a walk up).

Vesper Peak! Look it up. Great views. You can walk to the top with ease.

Vesper Peak! Look it up. Great views. You can walk to the top with ease.

I'll second that. My wife loves the basin, especially if you go early enough when there are scores of waterfalls. Last time up was shortly after 9/11. Had the sea of peaks effect as all of the mountaintops poked above the mist and fog that blanketed the lowlands and valleys. There were several small American flags on the summit in honor of those that perished just a couple of weeks earlier.

Edited by plexus