• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
tivoli_mike

Mount Rainier update

from Mike's blog

"Speaking of intrepid climbers, a few showed up at Nisqually Entrance wanting to hike the Nisqually Road to Paradise. The road corridor, however, remains closed. "

Ok, 'fess up, who was going to hike it?

so i'm too lazy to look up the distance, but how far a walk from the nearest point of entry to a route on rainier right now? what a cool time to do a climb...arc must be crazy stoked!

in the mid 90s a buddy and I walked in from the locked gate at the northeast corner and climbed the Emmons. took like two days with massive packs to get to glacier basin if i remember right. we had to carry skis/sleds on our packs at first because the road had been plowed. then, somewhere around white river station we were able to start skinning and pulling sleds, which worked until we got past the campground. then the weather mildly sucked for like ten straight days, but we got a quick window to head up the winthrop/emmons. naturally, we had planned to do lib ridge, but...

Damn Mark, that sounds as close to Alaskan as you can get in the lower 48. I guess that's the new normal for at least this winter season.

no, white river. hwy 410.

Actually, me thinks SpicoliDude was responding to Ivan's question about the shortest route to the mountain right now. I'd guess Mowich Lk Rd for sure, but it's gated at Paul Peak right now. Most likely, you can't get that far due to snow. You could probably get to Evans Creek ORV, and hoof it in from there. You could easily make Mowich Lake in a day from the ORV park.

I think Carbon River Road is closed at the Park boundary due to the flood.

Two winters (early March) ago when the Carbon River Road was washed out we walked in from the Carbon River Station. It took about 2 - 2.5 hours to get to Ipsut Creek Campground. There were quite a few people walking and biking on the road. We left about noon and got up to the meadows that day and up to the base of the Willis the next. Then we played ;-).

Hey Mark,

Next time, skip going to Glacier Basin and just head up the Emmons from White River Campground. If there's plenty of snow, and there is, it's easier.

IF anyone goes that way, feel free to drop me a note. Have fun!