Mount Rainier update

tivoli_mike

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the mid 90s a buddy and I walked in from the locked gate at the northeast corner and climbed the Emmons. took like two days with massive packs to get to glacier basin if i remember right. we had to carry skis/sleds on our packs at first because the road had been plowed. then, somewhere around white river station we were able to start skinning and pulling sleds, which worked until we got past the campground. then the weather mildly sucked for like ten straight days, but we got a quick window to head up the winthrop/emmons. naturally, we had planned to do lib ridge, but...

no, white river. hwy 410.

Actually, me thinks SpicoliDude was responding to Ivan's question about the shortest route to the mountain right now. I'd guess Mowich Lk Rd for sure, but it's gated at Paul Peak right now. Most likely, you can't get that far due to snow. You could probably get to Evans Creek ORV, and hoof it in from there. You could easily make Mowich Lake in a day from the ORV park.

I think Carbon River Road is closed at the Park boundary due to the flood.

Two winters (early March) ago when the Carbon River Road was washed out we walked in from the Carbon River Station. It took about 2 - 2.5 hours to get to Ipsut Creek Campground. There were quite a few people walking and biking on the road. We left about noon and got up to the meadows that day and up to the base of the Willis the next. Then we played ;-).