• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   12/08/21

Thanks for visiting Cascadeclimbers.com.   Yep, we are still going!    Just put a new coat of paint on the site. Still the same old community of climbers, skiers, and people who love to get outdoors. Hope you had a great 2021, and wish you the best for 2022 and beyond.  Thanks again for stopping by.
Sign in to follow this  
syudla

[TR] Mt. Thompson - Harrington couloir 11/26/2006

Trip: Mt. Thompson - Harrington couloir

Date: 11/26/2006

Trip Report:

Solo run up Harrington Couloir on Mt. Thompson.

Was f*cking cold.

AM conditions, Harrington is closest to buttress in middle of shot.

247250.jpg

PM conditions

247254.jpg

Pretty much a non-event as a climb, but nice summit views

247257.jpg

247256.jpg

Descended the rib between Harrington and Smrz couloir for a couple hundred feet before jumping back into the Harrington for the remainder of descent. Pretty good option for avoiding N. ridge descent.

Gear Notes:

Dont bother

Approach Notes:

Wasn't too bad then.

Edited by syudla

Wow not much snow down there! I heard the Sierra got some much needed snow this past week though.

Thanks for sharing your TR.

I've climbed the Knudtson and Harrington Couloirs in September 2005 and 2006. In dry years the Harrington features 80m of bare, 60-70 degree ice at the finish. Exciting.

For future ascents: There is a fixed-anchor rap descent down the climber's left side/skier's right side of the Knudtson couloir. 2 60m ropes needed.

Mt_Thompson.jpg

Red line - Knudtson Couloir, III AI3 (partially hidden)

Yellow line - Smrz Couloir, III AI3 5.6

Green line - Harrington Couloir, III AI2/3

Blue line - Moynier Couloir, III AI3/4 (partially hidden)

Good overlay mtnfreak. Didn't know about the fixed descent either. Had originally planned to climb Moynier but postholing on the glacier (ok you PNW'ers go ahead and laugh it up...)was enough to touch off my lazy streak and headed up Harrington. There was a hundred ft or so of ice at the top.

Wow not much snow down there! I heard the Sierra got some much needed snow this past week though.

Thanks for sharing your TR.

I was just in Tahoe for work (on the weekend), and the "much needed snow" turned out to be less than a foot. Very boney. Not worth strapping them on, imho.

shit the much needed snow got washed away with the rain. i dont care we aint got no snow...but lets get the sunshine back for some more rock climbing....

mtnfreak thanks for finally explaining just what those names of the Coulouirs were called, did Harrington back in the fall of 1999

E ~