3 Lost on Mount Hood

cluck

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this thread being used to discuss radios they don't have with them? It's irrelevant at this point.

Because there are a lot of neophyte climbers paying attention to this story who may not even know what questions to ask about the possible technological solutions available to avoid the potential calamities faced by the subjects of this very thread.

Frankly, posts related to this one hold more benefit for the future than the electronic karma, Let's-all-hope-for-them-together stuff.

Hope I've answered your question.

Am watching the CNN video. I see a lot of snow being kicked up. Wondering how much is weather-related? How much is from the helicopters?

All of the aerial video being shown on CNN appears to be from previous days, mainly yesterday. Today is rather clear and sunny, but for some reason they don't have any fresh aerial video from today.

JayB -

With all due respect, where does one find a formal declaration of "this thread's primary purposes"? I don't think Cluck started it as a support group.

I'm keenly aware of the sensitivities involved here, and I'm all for keeping the real spray out, but there has been some technical discussion here that has apparently been appreciated by non-climbers looking for understanding of the issues involved. As long as it stays on the non-spray side, it seems like it would still be welcomed by some of our recent first-time visitors.

No respect due. Thanks for the feedback.

Braibish, continued:

CH47 spotted the cave yesterday. Because of extreme wind yesterday, risk was not acceptable to try to get to cave yesterday.

Coil of rope and ice pick found.

Q: Y shape, footprints:

A: We got better look today - thought we saw footprints, but we haven't confirmed that. We have equipment up there now to confirm.

We hope to have more info for you later today.

They are not going to hike - this is NE/N portion of mountain. They are not going to "hike" they are going to climb. SAR will descend to ice cave.

I do not have any further info for you, as soon as I do I will get it out to you.

Gary Tiffany, Hood County SD Sergeant: Teams on summit are coordinating with teams on helicopter. Will

We do see footprints - going to summit (then wind blows all trace of them away).

Position of cave is 300 feet below summit.

Oregon Natl Guard says info is like a bullseye; shrinking area of search. They are focusing where they found some equipment and possibly a snow cave that is relatively close to cell phone signal source, on steep, NE aspect of mountain, 300' below summit in and area that SAR cannot hike, but must climb to. They presently have no information regarding found climbers.

Crews are on the ground are on their way to investigate what they are confident is a snow cave. They hope to have more information later today.

"Ice spike" and coil of rope were found according to Nat'l Guard spokesman. They don't know if they have confirmed footprints. More detail will be coming in.

Sherriff said they confirmed footprints going toward summit.

Foot prints go towards the summit and disappear. You would think with drifting snow that the footprints are recent or very recent. That may be great news. This is strangly similar to the high school kids that spent 13 days in a snow cave in 1975. I hope this one has the same outcome.

I don't care if they have dish network in their cave. It wouldn't have done them any good since SAR and MR couldn't get to them until today. END OF CONVERSATION ON THIS THREAD. GET IT!

Please take your idiot conversation else where.

Thank you.

Local TV (channel 6) in Portland was just showing live video (from their news chopper, apparently a long ways away) of about 10 SAR people stopped somewhere just below the summit. During what I saw, they didn't zoom out to give any perspective on what the exact area is. Couldn't really see what they were doing.

If you jumped in your car to go get a six pack and you ran into a closed freeway due to construction and there was a 10 mile backup with no way to get off the freeway. Did you check traffic.com to see if there were any accidents? No. These guys went to great lengths to be safe. We can't ever second guess them. It's just like Katrina and everyone was trying to fix blame. It was a 175 mph huricanne for petes sake. It's going to hurt someone. Same thing here.

With all due respect, where does one find a formal declaration of "this thread's primary purposes"? I don't think Cluck started it as a support group.

I'm keenly aware of the sensitivities involved here, and I'm all for keeping the real spray out, but there has been some technical discussion here that has apparently been appreciated by non-climbers looking for understanding of the issues involved.

That's my point...ham radios are not an 'issue involved.' I'd rather read about horseshoe or wishbone shaped ropes if climbing gear is part of this thread, cause it's potentially relevant. The closest thing to a 'declaration' is the thread's title, '3 Lost on Mount Hood.' To me, that easily leaves the door open for it being a 'support' thread. But I find the discussion of ham radios, of which there is no evidence anywhere that they have, and to the contrary, evidence exists that they DON'T have such devices (no mention of radios in the gear inventory they wrote down at the Ranger station) so speaking for myself, to sit here and read about ham radios at a time like this when I just want to hear that they were found alive as the rescuers are so close, is equivalent to the relevancy of reading about how to grow tomatos in my backyard. Don't really care right now.

lizs: cnn video is labeled "Saturday"

Thanks. I saw the label on later video. They really should put that up on there the whole time, so as to not give the presumption it's live video.

Again, this all is a great development. Send out positive vibes to all!

For those of you out there who are watching Fox News, you should know that they keep showing live shots of Mt. Adams, across the Columbia River in Washington state, and not Mt. Hood. From where they're located down in Hood River, you can see Adams, but not Hood, so I guess that's what they're showing.