3 Lost on Mount Hood

cluck

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very sad news I have to say unlike Bone, I was surprised to hear that the climber was found deceased. I held out hope for the climber and I still hold out hope for the other two.

Ivan, I would be more than happy to share a rope up there with you in the foreseeable future.

Keep the families and friends of the climbers in your prayers while the search continues..........

start at the begining of this 30 page thread to answer that question.

I don't think anyone knows exactly why one climber was left on his own by his two partners.

Kelly's first cell phone call on Sunday was characterized by his son Jason as "delirious" (Dallas Morning News, Saturday, December 16). He was already alone, and said that Nikko was in an airplane, and Brian was in town getting help.

Too soon for dehydration, too low for oedema (??), but something clearly was wrong.

My brother was there when they found the body. They will go back tomorrow to get him.

So sorry. Must have been really hard on the guys. They've put their hearts and the limits of their strength into this rescue, as I'm sure they always do. They must have heavy hearts this evening, but guys like that don't give up. They'll be back out there tomorrow with hope for finding the others alive. You gotta have hope.

My brother was there when they found the body. They will go back tomorrow to get him.

ihuntifish, the body was the first to go up on the 'copter. sadly, i've seen that heart breaking body position before.

i'm really at loss for words and wish i could say something to help the families.

I don't think anyone knows why one climber was left on his own by his two partners.

According to the phone call placed by James last Tues., the other two went to get help. That's why he was left alone. We don't know yet which of the climbers was found today.

Until the final chapter of this story is known, there are many more questions than there are answers, unfortunately.

It's worse than that:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/121606dnmetclimbers.11dd082b.html

"By the tone of his voice, I could tell something was really wrong," said 25-year-old Jason James. "I went into 911 mode."

He learned his dad was dug into a cave on the northern face of Mount Hood near the summit. Half an orange remained in his food supply, he was lying on his backpack to stay off the snow, and he was weak, cold and wet.

"He just said he was exhausted, and that's why he was stuck there," Jason James said.

The 48-year-old landscape architect offered "delirious" answers when asked about his climbing partners.

"He said Brian was in town looking for help and Nikko was on an airplane," Jason James said.

Tears cover the key board. I am at a loss for words. My heart is broken. In all the sadness just remember there are two still up on the mountain. I pray they make it back safely. To the family of the loved one who lost his life just remeber he was taken doing what he loved most, climbing. The climber compassion on this forum is incredible and it shows how tight knit the clmbing community is. I am now off to get on my knees to pray for the safe return of the other two.

My condolences to family, friends and SAR.

Family and friends should know that many many people have lived through similar losses and have written eloquently about their experiences. You are not alone. A good place to start is a recent book written by Maria Coffey called Where the Mountain Casts its Shadow.

Lesson learned so far:

First place found = cave 300' off summit

I doubt that the other 2 have been in any better enviroment since they left Kelley.

Right now it is known that the best chance of survival is to stay together and stay put.

I have been preaching that since I was taught it 40+ years ago.

Lord Pleas be with the family in this time of hard ship and be with the SAR ppl as they deal with the tragidy that they are involed with. Be with the others that are still lost and help them find there way to the ppl looking for them. be with the family as they have been going through the hardest time in the life and help them to be strong and know that there is a reason for everything that you do and it is all part of your plan. in your name I pry this

Thanks for filling in the information about the first phone call. I've read just about everything about this, but somehow missed the details of that. If Kelly was so confused about the whereabouts of his climbing partners, then you wonder if anything he said in that conversation to his son reflected reality, poor guy. Lots of possibilities are germinating in my head, but I'm not going to put them down in writing. Already too much speculation going on.

I don't think anyone knows why one climber was left on his own by his two partners.

According to the phone call placed by James last Tues., the other two went to get help. That's why he was left alone. We don't know yet which of the climbers was found today.

Actually, James was somewhat incoherent/disoriented during his last call. The part about "get[ing] help" was how the person taking the call interpreted and reported what James said. James's specific statement was something along the lines of one his buddies having "gone into town" and the other being on a plane home.

So James wasn't communicating too clearly before his call was cut off; it appears he may have been suffering from hypothermia as early as last Sunday, when he made his last call.