3 Lost on Mount Hood

cluck

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on guys, please go read carolyn james' post in this forum.....i will enlighten you....it says the famlies of these guys comes to read these posts EVERY SINGLE DAY..,,, dont you think you need to think before you speak out loud.....arkansas is sending its prayers to those guys.( kelly james was raised here) ....come on SAR , find our guys and bring them back down off that damn hood.....

I understand that each person would have at least a tool and ice axe, maybe 2 tools and an axe, a South side decent only requires an axe (for self arrest) particularly for the upper portions un roped.

The searchers should have air horns.

I have often thought of ways to identify an emergency cave, the best I can come up with is a dye pack that would bleed through several feet of snow. It would need to be a contrasting color other than black. but that is a conversation for later.

I like yuor idea.

I have read every post. You have not. Re-read my post and understand what I said. You are obviouslyt not a climber, so I will not waste any more time in explaining it to you exceot for this last bit of info. whioch has been covered for several pages earlier in this forum: You descend the S. side under most conditions and after climbing up most of the routes on Hood. The climbers original plan was to descend the S. side to Timberline to be picked up by friends. They left a note in their car that in case of an emergency they would descend Cooper Spur which is a ridge to the left of the N. Face and would return them back to their car where they left it at Cooper Spur ski area.

I think we've been very positive here. I'm amazed at the very, very positive take the news media has had. Now they are starting to discuss other than the positive; asking the harder questions... and it's time to consider that, as part of an overall look at events. I'm still hoping for the best!

Just wondering, have we totally confirmed beyong a doubt it was Kelly's snow cave? Sure, there are incidentals. But a note? Some identifying feature from items left in the cave? Are we positive the "Y" we saw and the person digging in that area was positively the snow cave site?

Edited by lizs

Update

MSNBC interviewed Crag Rats leader and Mike Gauthier,head climbing ranger at Mt Rainier. "Y" is ice/snow anchor. Gauthier feels no one would ever leave rope or pad/bag behind in survival situation. He is not optimistic. Sorry for the negative report. Hope the guys come home soon.

Edited by mcmedved

interesting photos. The "Y" actually looks like it is an anchor slung around that rock in the right part of the photo. a big loop of rope around it. Maybe that was their anchor while in the snow cave?

Even more interesting is that the picture of foot steps seems to show that there were three people ascending together. Take a close look at the picture, in some places you will see 3 distinct ice axe holes. Most climbers put the ice axe in with each step or every other step. almost never, and certainly not repeatedly, would you reset your own ice axe three times in the same step. Seems like they made those steps as a team.

to al it concerns, come on people , will you all go back and read carolyn james' post. .all of you go back and read . go to it , find it, read it.... i will enlighten you.In her post , its says the family of our guys comes to this forum and reads the posts.If you cannot say anything "good" then it would be best at this time to turn the key on your mouth.....sending all the prayers from arkansas, (kelly james was raised here).....come on SAR bring those guys off Hood.....

Great post and I completely agree with you. Too many people that have just joined Cascadeclimbers today spraying all over the place. Keep it positive.

The use of the word "idiot" to presumably describe Mr. Kim shows a lack of compassion and understanding of what he was going through (with his wife and two young children). I assume you've never had to make decisions like these climbers or Mr. Kim? If you had, you'd probably understand that desparate circumstances sometimes call for desparate (and often poor) decisions.

The "Y"looks like a rope set up in an equalized anchor configuration. Maybe it is anchored to a rock anchor under the snow?

It's difficult to understand the clues. The tracks must be recent since high winds would have rapidly erased them.

I imagine it would be somewhat difficult to tell which chute to take to get to the hogsback in low visibility, although I remember the Pearly gates being the most obvious chute looking southwest from the summit. I can't remember but it seems like the south chute (old mazama variation) would be directly opposite the north face.

BTW: for a route like the NF (being up to WI3 in difficulty) it would make little sense to carry two ice tools and a third axe since most ice tools can be used for self arrest in a pinch.

Here's to hoping that everyone, SAR and climbers comes down safely. Thank you for your efforts.

AlpineDave, I came to the same conclusions as you. The Y definitely looks "anchorish" to me...it could've been serving the double purpose of having something visible and having an anchor.

There are three holes with each set of footsteps. One is on the left, and two are on the right. There are also a couple areas where you can see a set of three footsteps....the original two footsteps of the lead climber and then a "mistake" footstep of a following climber.

I take this as positive vibes for them....multiple footsteps in succession and no drag marks (of feet or ice axes). I would take this to mean that everyone walked from this point in a sufficiently healthy and alert manner.