3 Lost on Mount Hood

cluck

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press conference on CNN now...

Tiffany again -

The snow cave gives us hope, they obviously knew what to do and they can do it again.

Probably making a plan to take climbers off mountain - don't know whether anyone will stay up there tonight.

Seems they hunkered down in the snow, survived for awhile, then got out - doesn't mean they didn't dig another snow cave somewhere else.

Don't know how deep the cave was.

Found:

2 ice axes

one sleeping bag

rope

probably other stuff that didn't get communicated to him

No climbers

Footprints were leading up

Snow cave tells them they knew what to do and they can do it again. Thinks they tried to self rescue and then had to dig another snow cave somewhere.

I wonder why they'd leave a sleeping bag? perhaps it was soaked wet and useless...still could be used as an insulator on the floor of a cave though...

looks like the freaking helo is landing on the SUMMIT!!!!!

probly evacing some rescuers before nightfall. it's going to be a cold night up there.

I'm not worried about the bag. If the three are together, they could be sharing a bag to stay warm. Maybe moved up with a break in the weather, or who knows, partially down the other side. Once you're that high, is the worst of the north side climb over? Going up from there might be easier than going back down north face.

I'm curious if they found ice axes, or perhaps pickets... I keep hearing/seeing "ice picks", which means absolutely nothing.

If axes were still there, not good, because I can't imagine leaving without those. If pickets were there but no axes, then perhaps good.

Link to the live news feed on KATU.com:

http://www.katu.com/news/live/3882262.html

It will prompt you to install a plug-in called Abacast (and possibly require you to restart your browser). The plug-in installs a "video server" on your computer so if you are running a tight firewall setup then you may need to add it to the allowed list of servers running on your computer.

Please keep transcribing news reports from CNN.com and Foxnews.com - that will help us all get a 360 degree information view.

I'm curious if they found ice axes, or perhaps pickets... I keep hearing/seeing "ice picks", which means absolutely nothing.

If axes were still there, not good, because I can't imagine leaving without those. If pickets were there but no axes, then perhaps good.

They (SD, news, etc.) went back and forth between "axes" and "picks" - they seem to be talking about axes.