3 Lost on Mount Hood

cluck

Mountaineers,

Asking for the respect to the topic subject, "3 Lost on Mount Hood" and these three experienced climbers fighting for their lives is fruitless. There is an Internet Marketing technique that spammers offten use to advertise their products and links to them. There is nothing you can do about. They pretend to be one of us and get in the middle of discussions.

Whenever money is the primarily goal, the importance of human lives is diminished.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is standing along the SE summit ridge. Looks like they might be setting up to lower people down the top part of the Cooper Spur climbing route. No indication of where this cave allegedly is, but they keep talking about lowering people down to look. Based on where they're standing now, they must be heading down Cooper Spur.

Can someone with SAR or Hood experience elaborate on the possible scenario(s) for how they would evacuate Kelly (and others if together) if he is found injured 300 feet from the summit?

I think I know the answer, without SAR or Hood experience, cause I watched today's morning press conference. Chris with Airborne said the climbers found would be airlifted directly to the hospital.

I presume you are talking about the local Fox affiliate. Wish I could watch it live. It's sad that the major networks won't switch to it. They've got to honor those revenue generating advertising contracts and keep the cameras on Tiger Wood's next shot. Then they want me to watch taped video of Survivor. What a joke. Once again, money rules.

Gerry Tiffany, cont:

Y symbolizes “YES, we are here.”

We don’t know when it was put there – it is solid ice up there so it could have been there, we don’t know.

I don't know why everyone's assuming it's a "Y" - it may have been intended as an arrow to indicate the direction they want people to go to find them.

zl it depends entirely on the location of the climber, the conditions, particularly wind, and the type of terrain they are on. Climbers have been airlifted off of much steeper terrain at a much much higher elevation before, so if the weather cooperates, they should be able to get plucked off the mountain directly from their location.

Mountaineers,

Asking for the respect to the topic subject, "3 Lost on Mount Hood" and these three experienced climbers fighting for their lives is fruitless. There is an Internet Marketing technique that spammers offten use to advertise their products and links to them. There is nothing you can do about. They pretend to be one of us and get in the middle of discussions.

Whenever money is the primarily goal, the importance of human lives is diminished.

This is the most idiotic, irrelevant remark I've seen in this entire thread.

Has anyone EVER gotten a live feed on KGW to work? Every time I click the play button, it attempts to connect for two seconds, ('Connecting to media...') then says 'Ready' again. I think it's a gag by the station to see how many times people will push the button. Hope they're getting a good laugh out of it.

Recap: Chinook crew found rope anchored to mountain and a snow cave 300 feet below summit. AVI danger. Very hopeful sign. source CNN ... Oregon NG SGT interviewed from the helo crew. Says may take another hour or two to get to it.

Press Conf (10 minutes later): CPT says same as above. Chinook has twin engines, more stable, has para rescuers aboard. Other climbers are descending to snow cave. No contact yet with lost climbers.

Hood River Sherriff's PIO- says it is 60-65 deg slope. Crew saw a "Y" sign in the snow/ice. "Y" is climbers talk for "Yes, I am here". No date/time on when sign made. Pretty solid ice in vicinity. Snow caves are almost sound proof. PIO saw photo proof of items laid out, snow cave, rope, ice anchors (PIO did not say it was an ice pick). Photo taken by Chinook this AM.

Rescue climbers prepared to stay overnight on mountain, if nec.

News now : Now long distance image from KOIN TV chopper on CNN. Very clear sky. Good progress. Shows about 12 climbers from rescue teams. My comment---No experts at CNN at this time, who can really interpret video with any precision. Fox also has same KOIN TV video feed. FOX host speculating climbers now with 100 feet or so of snow cave. Weather supposedly good today and tomorrow.

My comment- Erfolg + Success, I hope. Good luck.

Edit: (Later FOX estimates 30 rescuers in all around summit, mix of rescue climbers and para-rescuers)

Edited by Bamadad

Duh. I was looking for something a bit more detailed....e.g. can you airlift them directly from the location of the cave? Or do you have to somehow carry them up to the summit? How do you do that? Etc., etc., etc.

I'm no expert, but from reading tons of accident reports (read annual 'Accidents in North American Mountaineering' for useful info as starters), people seldom end up in a covenient local for extraction. Usually they have to be moved by SAR's to extraction location.

I presume you are talking about the local Fox affiliate. Wish I could watch it live. It's sad that the major networks won't switch to it. They've got to honor those revenue generating advertising contracts and keep the cameras on Tiger Wood's next shot. Then they want me to watch taped video of Survivor. What a joke. Once again, money rules.

the live feed from the local affiliate KOIN 6 is currently being shown on CNN

The CNN guy that is interviewing the Capt Mike from the Sherriff's office is doing a fantastic job of interviewing. He is asking all the right questions and obviouly understands common sense. It looks like they are digging an anchor hole in the summitt. I assume to rig up ropes to dsecend and or bring up things and or people. They could fly them off using the Chinook right from the summit. I don't think they can land however. It looks to unstable and not flat. He could hover with just the backend but that could break loose an avalanch? Just thinking outloud.

appears that sar workers are chopping platforms on s-side of summit. Maybe prepping to spend the night up there. Also, foot of climbers descending N-side pretty quickly, on Cooper Spur, looks like. Why don't they drop a worker down to cave on winch from Chinook?

Has anyone EVER gotten a live feed on KGW to work? Every time I click the play button, it attempts to connect for two seconds, ('Connecting to media...') then says 'Ready' again. I think it's a gag by the station to see how many times people will push the button. Hope they're getting a good laugh out of it.

I've been getting the same thing - KGW's a waste of time.