3 Lost on Mount Hood

cluck

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't coming down from the summit on the N. side after climbing from the south just as difficult as going up the N. side? Or is the theory that dropping down even a a step vertical rock is a lot less work than climbing up? I know nothing about the ropes and equipment they use.

Also if they are fatigued, a less technical, risky way down the mountain would probably be used. Their nerves are shot by this point so they would want to take the route that has less risk even if it is slightly longer.

There is always a lot of ignorant opinions when any specialized activity grabs the headlines from the wannabees as well as the media. I just heard Fox News say that a "C-130 was dropping rescuers at the summit". Man... that's gonna be one hairy jump run. "5 Left...."

Latest from the Oregonlive.com:

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Air search yields pair of climbers on north side; searchers doubt they are the lost climbers

Searchers on a Black Hawk helicopter spotted two unidentified climbers at 9,200 feet on Mount Hood this morning, a discovery that has sent search teams scrambling to figure out if the pair are the lost men they’ve been looking for or rogue climbers.

The men were spotted about 11 a.m. from the air near Tie In Rock. Searchers think the men, who do not appear to be in distress, are recreational climbers who are either unaware of a climbing ban on Mount Hood today or ignored the order. The men did not wave or signal to the helicopter. There was no indication the men could be rescuers.

According to radio chatter about the discovery, one searcher said: “What I see is two guys about 500 yards off of Tie In Rock, sort of in the middle of the slope. Looks like one guy is standing over the top of a guy who is prone on the snow.”

If the men turn out to be unrelated to the search effort, their discovery has been distracting to the dozens of searchers scaling the mountain today in what is a major push to find three climbers who have been lost for more than a week.

Another helicopter is preparing to check out the men and a search team is being dispatched from Stone Shelter, which is about a three-hour hike to the location where the unidentified men were spotted.

Meanwhile, the first of six rescue climber groups ascending the south face cleared 10,000-foot elevation by 11:15 a.m. only to encounter white-out conditions and high winds. They immediately dug snow caves for cover.

Welcome to the site Phil. As others have mentioned, this particular thread is not the appropriate one for discussing the judgement poor-or-wise of these climbers, or any other climbers for that matter. The focus of THIS thread is continuing up-to-date information on the search, and providing a link for the dispersed family and friends of the lost 3. We (the mods and admins of this bulletin board) would prefer that posts in THIS thread remain positive, and on-topic.

If you, or anyone else would like to engage in a discussion on the wisdom of climbing choices, either in general or in specific to a particular incident, you are welcome to start another thread in "The Climber's Board", or search our archives for the many times this topic has come up in the past.

Thank you

As a sister to one of the Cragrats, I am constantly looking for the most up to date info on the efforts of finding the three climbers. This thread has been very helpful in getting information. My thoughts and prayers are with the climbers and their families and with all of the courageous teams looking for them. May God Bless them all!!

Apparently from the Oregonian and Fox a team approaching from the south may be about to summit soon and descend the NF to find Kelly. I believe his phone has a GPS receiver as many phones do now. It allows 911 folks to get a very accurate fix (+/- 2 meters) on where you are since GPS Selective Availability was turned off in 2000.

Any news on the two guys the Chopper saw at 9200 feet? As for the Cell Phone Kelley James has; search was trying to get him to dial 911 because that engages the GPS positioning function of the phone to declare his coordinates to the Cell Tower. They did this by sending him a text message to dial 911. He obviously didn't get the message. This is something for all of us to learn. Dial 911 and text messaging works when voice doesn't!

Any more details please rely to us anxious worried public.

Live on the east coast but brother in Ashland Oregon who has climbed hood many times and most peaks in Oregon over 8,000.

I feel for these families who have their loved ones up there right now. We all need to be in prayer for the 3 climbers and leave all the negitive B.S. out of this forum!! They are coming out of this alive and will be out there again to do what they love most, CLIMB. Positive vibes to all. They are alive and will be rescued. THE FOLKS IN THIS FORUM ARE INCREDIBLE. My hats off to all search and rescue up on the mountain looking for these guys.

Latest update as of 1:10 pm

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Searchers find two climbers; rescue operation planned

A team of searchers is planning to mount a rescue of two people spotted about 11 a.m. near Tie In Rock, located on the Cooper Spur route of Mount Hood’s north side.

The route where the rescuers are focusing their efforts is the same the trio of stranded climbers said they planned to take down Mount Hood. No indentities were confirmed.

A helicopter will airlift a team of searcher to the location.

Ruedi,

I have several cell phones (Motorola and Nokia) and I can change the GPS broadcast setting. The default setting is to send GPS coordinate info on 911 calls only. The other setting is to send GPS info on all calls. I usually change my settings when I'm off the beaten path.