Mt Baker Pan Dome Falls condition/photos

jstreet

Went skiing at Mt Baker on Saturday 12/09 and took some photos of Pan Dome Falls. The pictures make it look better than the naked eye. I'm sure it was climbable by some of us but it looked fairly thin and possibly hollow and wet underneath. The exit moves looked like wet high angle rock slab. It had been just above freezing there for a few days.

pandome 024.jpg

pandome 025.jpg

pandome 026.jpg

pandome 027.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up at Pan Dome Falls Friday night - Sat morning with a small party (four of us). We all walked to the base and two of us walked up and around to set a top rope. We had the top rope set at about 11:30 PM and the clouds parted a bit to shed some moon light on the rap. By the time we rapped to the base there was a nice sheltered seating/belay area carved out complete with a small lantern and some snacks ready for us to enjoy. We took turns top roping and lost all track of time. We had a super fun time and got back to the car (a 15 min walk at the most) at 7:00 AM Sat. morning!

I guessed the temp. to be just below freezing and there was no wind. The ice was good (better than I expected) and would take a screw in many places. As noted there was of course snow on the less steep areas and manteling the last section (the last few meters) would have been a challenge (scary?) on lead.

The snow pack above the falls was SOLID, really wind packed and icy. This made it easy to get up and set a top rope without having to deal with knee deep snow.

It was neat to see the snow cats grooming the mountain and they would occaisionally send a spotlight beam our way. They didn't seem to mind sharing the mountain with us.

Certainly not an epic climb but a fantastic way to spend an evening with good friends after a day of work!

Brian