Tree Butcher

catbirdseat

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a tree or two in your yard can add a lot to your property value. There are lots of nice trees that look good but don't grow to be giants, which can be alarming if not truly dangerous. A lot of nurseries provide lists with maximum heights that the city recommends for planting choices.

To the original point. There are a lot of hacks out there. If you're looking for somebody with some skill the PNW-ISA has an online list of certified arborists. In the Puget Sound area you can look up Plant Amnesty in the phone book and they will give you the names of several good arborists in your area.

There are lots of nice trees that look good but don't grow to be giants, which can be alarming if not truly dangerous.
I take it you are referring to the huge doug firs and hemlocks some people have in their yards? I had a neighbor who bought a house on our street. The property had a gigantic poplar right next to the house. It was dropping "bombs" (branches) on his roof. When he had it removed, the inside was rotten and it stunk to high heaven.

I've heard that hemlocks are pretty vulnerable to disease and are usually removed because of this. No idea how accurate that is. Shame, because they are beautiful trees.

So if a tree in my front yard falls on my neighbor's house/car/fence because of no fault of my own (i.e. wind, not neglicence) am I liable for the damages?

I've heard that hemlocks are pretty vulnerable to disease and are usually removed because of this. No idea how accurate that is. Shame, because they are beautiful trees.

So if a tree in my front yard falls on my neighbor's house/car/fence because of no fault of my own (i.e. wind, not neglicence) am I liable for the damages?

The insurance may bill you for removing your tree that hits your neighbors house, but they might only charge you for clearing your neighbors roof and leave you to deal with the tree trunk on the ground. Leaving you some fun times with chain saws.

Yeah poplars are prone to fucking shit up. I wouldn't recommend planting one

Doug firs can be ok. Hemlocks have some problems, but they aren't really bad.

I had a hemlock removed once because a former owner of the property had topped the tree years before. You just can't do that to that sort of tree. Sure enough, the inside was hollow.

Correct. The person's whose house was damaged will be covered by their own house insurance, even if the tree was on your property.

Speaking from experience. During a November wind storm ('98?) a tree in my yard fell over and wiped out my neighbor's fence and part of their back porch. Their insurance covered it.

Correct. The person's whose house was damaged will be covered by their own house insurance, even if the tree was on your property.

Will your 'insurance' also bring the neighbor's childred back to life? Believe it or not, trees sometimes DO threaten life and property. We had the top snap off of a 100' Douglas Fir during a windstorm about 10 years ago. A side-branch pierced the roof above our bedroom and nearly went into the bed itself. We were in another room when it happend. Our neighbors had their house litterally cut in half by a Fir during the same storm. If a tree is a serious threat it should be cut down - and two more planted in its place.