Yokum Ridge Stories

s_darris

Did a search in trip reports and in general on Yokum Ridge...not alot of info or trip reports. I spend alot of time on the hill and don't hear of anyone doing Yokum. I know it's a very condition's dependant route, and it's on my list. Would enjoy hearing anyone's trip report or epics. I remember back in the 80's a friend who had done it telling me " near the top, if you fall, your belayer better jump off the other side" ...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

never been beyond the first gendarme as that's where the conditions are most important - it's a short step but each time i've been there the rime was like cotton candy - you'dhave to weigh about 15 lbs to get up it then :)

i think mike told me marcus donaldson's done it

It was heavily rimed and late March or early April when I climbed it - so probably the easiest possible conditions. It was not a hard route, but we did not climb the more imposing gendarmes directly.

Note: with rime over a heavy snow cover and only a wee bit of water ice here and there, there was nothing you could call solid pro anywhere from bottom to top except maybe the sling we placed around a gendarme to rappel in the middle portion. We pitched it out, and it came to about 16 or 17 pitches.

420yokum.jpg

Bill, topping out.

bottom line - sounds like skipping the gendarme is your best bet for sucess (and for avoding frustration) - reckon you'll be happier returning to get the gendarmes and failing repeatedly after having at least completed the vast majority of the route in the past.

Mods this should be in the TR index:

This is not a trip report , but a disscussion... If Yocum get's done a couple times per season , seems there would be more TR's..Thanks Marcus and Matt.

Like to hear of someone who did the gendarmes directly , Most seem to skirt them...