Soap Lake to Banks area Condition/Photos

chrisr

Photos are of The Cable, Children of the Sun, Trotskys Folly, Salt and Pepper and Clockwork Orange ( I think) and not in that order. Photos were taken with my cell phone so sorry about the quality. Lots of ice up there right now. The punchbowl is huge but the icicles above are monsterous. Tons of ice all the way up the coulee. Didn't climb, strictly recon.

SSPX0040.JPGSSPX0032.JPGSSPX0030.JPGSSPX0027.JPGSSPX0025.JPG

Edited by chrisr

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very unselfish act on my part to help those in need this holiday season. I'm leaving tomorrow for 7 days in Cody, WY so I won't even be able to enjoy these sweet local conditions. They'll probably fall down before I get back, I'm sure. So all you west siders should come together and give me $15 for gas, and $3 in misc. snacks money. Enjoy!

good to see this stuff in so early, and with the current weather it should be around a little while anyway. The last pic in your first post is Champagne, a great route thats TR-able (walk around climbers right on ledges to 1 3rd class move) and makes for a stiff lead too.

The punchbowl is huge but the icicles above are monsterous.

just a reminder, temps are supposed to go above freezing starting tomorrow. Climbing the devil's punchbowl in these conditions is extraordinarily dangerous. Do what you want, but nearly every time I've been in the area (about 5) I've seen people narrowly avoid injury/being killed by small to massive releases from above. Not really worth the risk IMHO for a single pitch 2+.