Climbing Reports?

Crevasse

No trip reports from this weekend? Come on I could see Hood from Corvallis. The perfect opportunity to grab the top. If I did not have a pregnant wife I would have been out. Pony up for all of us living vicariously through the board.

Edited by Crevasse

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting to get my pics back tonite before posting. Camped Sat nite on the Triangle Moraine at 9,400', nary a whisper of wind all nite, low temp 25F. Sun AM showed the Hogsback to be built up nicely. Talked to a climber heading down Sat who reported the Gates as ice starting approx 250' from the top, he turned back but not before watching "a more experienced ice climber" skate up. I found the snow above 10K to be about as good as it gets. It was truly a great weekend on Hood, who says it's not climbing season ?

Saw three guys come up Devils Kitchen on skis and then head up various chutes above, looked like they were having a fine time.

pics attached Hood_HB_Christina_Dec_3_06.jpgHood_HB5_Christina_Dec_3_06.jpgHood_HB1_Dec_3_06.jpgHood_HB2_Dec_3_06.jpg

Hood_Christina1_Dec_3_06.jpg

oleg and pete did something round the hog's back area - they're too cranky and too russian to spray about so noble a feat though :)

Cranky and Russian. Some appreciation for funding your beer habit last night.

Conditions on Hoody are excellent for tool swingin' in the steeps. The big snow from two weeks ago has is all but blown off of anything beyond 40 degrees. What's left is awesome alpine ice that probably formed from the big rains last month. NF, I-rock and Spidy deserve a close look before they get buried.

Finally figured out what Pete and I climbed last weekend - some sort of variation of the Devils Kitchen HW. I still think we went through the Pearly Gates. If you were to stand in the gates and drop a rock, it will follow our accent, I think.

Rough boys.

• 2 weeks later...

Went up on Friday 22 Dec. Got a late start so didnt make it all the way up and since the impending storm for Sat we dug in for the storm instead of setting up a tent. One heck of a storm. Just got down today, didnt make it all the way up. Worn out from keeping the entrance to the cave open. Will post a report with more and pics when I get them.

Went up Yesterday/Today, solo. Rough all the way. Was not fun. Got real soft. Annoying "variable" postholing. Up, down, up down. Bring ice tools to get through the Gates. West Crater Rim route looks suspicous. Needs some avi testing - but maybe I am paranoid. Stash skis at Palmer for the trip down, save yourself 2500ft of hip-level postholing ('course I am 320 lbs, loaded, so that never helps).

Feel like Hood doesn't want anybody on it right now. Had this very strange creepy feeling all the way. Couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

yep, good tent, plenty of gear, and food for extra days, and hold out for a good summit day. Should have the pics by Friday. Looked at the camera didnt take to many cause we were more worried about getting off the mountain before it got any worse, so the camera ended up in my pack instead of on me.