Routes in Sedona, Arizona?

Ryan_McPhee

Sedona would be another Red Rocks if the sandstone wasn't so shitty. Probably the most solid climb there is The E. Face of the Mace. I climbed it when I lived in Phoenix. Total multipitch adventure sandstone. Check it out at http://www.naclassics.com. The rest of the stuff varies from semi-solid to horrific. Hard men routes with runouts on soft, shitty sandstone. There's good bouldering around there, however.

The guidebook is called "A Better Way to Die: Rock Climbers Guide to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon" by Tim Toula, Falcon Publishing/Chockstone Press, 1995.

Check out this page: http://www.verticalrelief.com/Local%20Climbing/sedona.htm - the Mace is the tower in the top right picture - you climb up the center tower and then cross the gap for some exhilarating exposure right at the top. Great route.

Oh yeah, there's great climbing up the road to Flagstaff and in the surrounding area. Paradise Forks, Jacks Canyon, Granite Mountain, Priest Draw, the Pit, etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by offwidthclimber (edited 06-08-2001).]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climb the Mace - if nothing else, the wild step-across to the boulder-problem-summit is worth it! Then head further south if you can. Granite Mountain (Prescott), Mt. Lemon (Tucson, or, for a real adventure, Baboquivari - in the middle of BF-nowhere...

This is a bit off the mark geographically, but since you were inquiring about climbing in AZ I thought I'd add two cents worth. This spring I made my first trip to climb in the Tucscon area and was amazed by Cochise Stronghold. Incredible lines on great rock, very traditional style(very little fixed pro), incredible scenery and NO CROWDS! Well worth the road trip if you run into weather problems, etc. in Sedona. Might be getting a bit too hot down there, but you can chase the shade on each side of the Dragoons. Good luck in Sedona.